• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Lovers 64

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
The "Golden Age" of anime in North America is now. Between streaming and physical releases we have more available now than ever before. There is less lag time between Japan and here even for physical release. If you like older anime it is available too. In many cases cheaper and in better quality than you could have gotten it when new. If you like conventions there seems to be something near everyone. When I was new to anime (shortly after Zac) I watched everything I could get my hands on and it wasn't enough. Now people complain that there is too much coming out to keep track of. Like I said a Golden Age.

With regard to the question about toy producing anime. From the viewpoint of a figure collector the most prolific would have to be Evangelion followed by Ikki Tosen, though the Fate franchise may have surpassed the latter.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, The Fine Bros of Kids React series fame just released a DO TEENS KNOW 90s ANIME? (REACT: Do They Know It) video a couple weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U15QEbKFN0

Ya guys may be surprised what US teens today know or do not know, regardless how easy it seems.
If you're a recent teen, see how many ya know yourself.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm males and I like Bungo Stray Dogs.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
In my opinion the golden age is definitely 1985-1995, the era of the really strange and creative OVAs, which feature some of the most interesting animation and narrative structures I've seen in anything. You can tell that so much of this is the unique vision of the artists and directors as opposed to them making something that they think people will like, and a lot of it is really experimental because they were figuring stuff out. The general art style of the time is somehting I enjoy immensely and wish some things would go back to (especially since there's none of that awful CG).

I agree with your era assignments give or take a year, ikillchicken, and the OVA era is definitely my favorite. I really wish things would go to something more like that, because the whole vibe of the time was a lot more creative and vibrant.

Here are some of my favorites from that era, all of which I'd recommend

Nausicaa
Key the Metal Idol
Gall Force
Dirty Pair
Genesis Surviver Gaiarth
Heroic Legend of Arislan
Birth
Windaria
Goshogun the Time Etranger
Ai City
Angel's Egg
Venus wars
Genmu Senki Leda
Gunbuster
Wings of Honneamise
Magnetic Rose
Grey: Digital Target
Nayuta
Green Legend Ran
Phantom Quest Corp
Silent Mobius
They Were 11
Bobby's in Deep
Cosmo Police Justy
Soliton no Akuma
Kazu&Yasu: Hero Tanjou

Man I could keep going but I think I'll leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2