• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna Is a Hero Franchise Teases Project Announcement in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
More than a second season I'd rather see Wakaba's badass exploits get the anime treatment.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch a movie or second season. This had the best explaination I've ever seen for why only girls can be "heroes" and it really impressed me. Way too many magical girl series gloss over that. That said, Togo did remind me way too much of Homura, but ah well.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Madoka relied too heavily on shock value, particularly sudden character death, while YuYuYu was smart enough to create drama without relying on easy things. spoiler[Killing a character is easy, have a character deal with a new disability requires more effort.]
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
More Togo is great for the world.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Madoka clone or not (really it wasn't....just same genre), it still wasn't a very good or unique anime. Wasn't even executed really well.

It was pretty incredible... unsure what qualifies as good execution for some people tbh.

Probably the best of the 'twisted magical girl' genre, even better than Madoka.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually think that a sequel, or even a prequel, would be good for Yuki Yuna when that normally isn't the case. Madoka's original show had a pretty tight script, but I feel like the story for Yuki Yuna still has areas it could grow into. That's not to say the show was bad, because Yuki Yuna was actually really good, but the whole setup feels like it had a lot more places to go, especially considering the affects it had on some of the supporting characters.

Normally I'm adverse to prequels, but Fate/Zero kind of changed the expectations in terms of how prequels can be executed. If any series could use an interesting prequel, it might be Yuki Yuna.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Normally I'm adverse to prequels, but Fate/Zero kind of changed the expectations in terms of how prequels can be executed. If any series could use an interesting prequel, it might be Yuki Yuna.

It has two prequels, both in novel form. Sumi Washio is a Hero is about spoiler[Togo's first time as a hero] and Wakaba Nogi is a Hero, which is about spoiler[the end of the world and the first generation of heroes.]

I'd much rather see an adaptation of the latter, which is actually set up as a kind of sequel. spoiler[Yuuna and co are looking up old hero records and learn of Sonoko's ancestor. But Yuuna has a strange reaction to it and we see that back then there was also a girl named Yuuna.]
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping the prequel light novel gets animated. Reading it adds a lot more weight to some of the scenes in the last half of the original anime. I'd really love to see it animated. Probably better as movie or long OVA though.

I don't know how i'd feel about a second season, when I was fine with how the anime ended. I really don't know how they could add in enough new twists to the story to still make it interesting. Maybe a sequel movie might work, but I really don't want my positive view towards the series be ruined by a forced sequel.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Yuki Yuna is nothing like Madoka. They are both magical girl anime, but have virtually zero similarities.

I've seen both, by the way - and while Madoka is a very special anime to me, I also enjoy Yuki Yuna for what it is: a magical girl series that sticks to the traditional friendship themes while still providing a twisted battle the girls must fight.

This sounds like a challenge to me. Sudden twist about the world, ineffectual main character, "dark and edgy" because they're both copying Shadow Star... Shadow Star? Not important. No, both these excellent... ok, I can't go on. Yuki Yuna is a prime example of the wannabe set while Madoka actually is something. To put it simply and spoiler free as possibly: Yuki Yuna is a Hero is cowardly while and especially where Madoka isn't.

And that's not even the part of the show I hate... no, the spoiler[magical healing that they could have done it all along ending] is only second. And they only did that spoiler[so they wouldn't have to kill off any characters.]. And they only set it up that way in the first place was because a certain other show had a "price of power" plotline.

No fair guessing which one... because it was My Hime.

So what would I like to see from the staff? An apology. They couldn't leave well enough alone with their "twists". Is this one of those franchises that people like because they ignore the stuff they don't like or pretend it doesn't affect the show at all? Here's the problem with the world: spoiler[The whole planet/universe has been reduced to one Japanese city floating in nothingness surrounded by hostile aliens and fire.] So what can happen? spoiler[ For 99.999995% of the world, nothing. They're dead. I suppose the show could have taken the Dark City twist... still would have been a twist... and have the alien/gods abduct the city rather than precisely destroy the rest of the world but then the show would have been about, well, something. Fighting for something rather than just delaying the inevitable.]

I do so hate this show. It's all about the twists here.

But it's weird; These guys are fighting against spoiler[entropy] and spoiler[hostile gods who are like aliens] while the Madoka crew are fighting for spoiler[entropy] and spoiler[indifferent aliens who act like gods].

You're right; These shows are nothing alike. One of them was genuinely good.
dlm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Artesox wrote:
SEGAtheGENESIS234 wrote:
I haven't seen this anime, but I heard that the show was okay at best, and a poor man's Madoka at worse.

Everything is a Madoka clone in the eyes of the kids who have only watched Madoka.

It isn't a Madoka clone because there wasn't much in the way of symbolism. And it had a happy ending. And the universe wasn't so much defined as you went through the story, as it was ass-pulls happening on a regular basis.

I'm still interested in what is being cooked up here, though.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's not an adaptation of the Washio prequel novel, I'm game. Because by God, that was [expletive] terrible to read.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Madoka relied too heavily on shock value, particularly sudden character death, while YuYuYu was smart enough to create drama without relying on easy things. spoiler[Killing a character is easy, have a character deal with a new disability requires more effort.]

Which is why the main thing I dislike about YuYuYu is that, in the ending, spoiler[all the disabilities magically disappear.] Kinda defuses the drama that came before it, making it much weaker on rewatch. One of the best things about Madoka is that it's one of the ~5 anime that don't have disappointing endings.

Also, man, I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard the phrase "Madoka relied too heavily on shock value." (Or "shock value" complaints in general, but there's virtually no variation in how they're constructed.) Could buy up all those Aniplex-priced shows with that kind of money.

Nothing that happens in Madoka really qualifies as a Sudden Shocking Tweest, that whole perception is a meme, started by people who were so enamored by the Hidamari Sketch character designs that they completely ignored the giant neon warning signs all over the narrative and monster designs and everything else. (Rebellion does have a crazy twist you're unlikely to see coming, but it's a commentary on the narrow-minded interpretation of the series as just a sequence of horrific gut-punches from nowhere.) There is much more going on in Madoka than the overly-infamous twists. And you don't have to take my word for it, because literal books have been written on the subject.

Now, don't get me wrong, I liked YuYuYu, too. It has both similarities to and differences from Madoka. And that's fine. Not every positive comment has to be paired with a half-baked negative comment about some counterpart entity... is that like the internet critic version of equivalent exchange?
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
Hoping for a continuation of Yuna's story. Just because it felt like it had much more to offer than it did. If we get a prequel movie/series about Washio Sumi I'll be okay with that too.

But please more anime content!!
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
so I was just scrolling past this with zero intent to reply because itsoktonotlikethings.mp3 but you mentioned a few things about the show here that sort of puzzled me and i was curious as to why you felt that way when the show seems to show otherwise

(fyi im not trying to stan for the show or anything it has Problems but i’m just interested in picking your brains here)

Animegomaniac wrote:
This sounds like a challenge to me. Sudden twist about the world, ineffectual main character, "dark and edgy" because they're both copying Shadow Star... Shadow Star? Not important. No, both these excellent... ok, I can't go on. Yuki Yuna is a prime example of the wannabe set while Madoka actually is something. To put it simply and spoiler free as possibly: Yuki Yuna is a Hero is cowardly while and especially where Madoka isn't.

what exactly is it about Yuna that makes you consider her an “ineffectual” heroine? I could understand saying this of Madoka since a big part of the show’s premise is that she’s powerless and without much agency for most of the run but Yuna is consistently portrayed as one of the most powerful characters in the show to the point of providing its ultimate resolution. It seems a little dismissive of a lot of things to call her that so I’m just curious as to what it is about her that made you think that?

(I’d also argue against calling the show “cowardly” while implying that Madoka isn’t, given that Madoka is a paint by numbers Urobuchi story and does basically a lot of what YuYuYu does but I guess that comes more down to a difference in taste wrt narratives)

Animegomaniac wrote:
Here's the problem with the world: spoiler[The whole planet/universe has been reduced to one Japanese city floating in nothingness surrounded by hostile aliens and fire.]

That’s not quite right, actually! This is more the show’s fault for having weak worldbuilding (something i have biiiiiig problems with) but it should be pretty clear that spoiler[there isn’t just one city left – Karin is a transfer student, Sonoko lives in a different city and ultimately the way the society of the world functions should make it pretty clear that there’s more to the world than we’re seeing.] I think the idea is just supposed to be that spoiler[the main city we see is particularly close to the edge of barrier (which is the point, as it’s where the Vertex are let in – and they’re mentioned to be gods, not aliens)] but again, this isn’t something the show establishes super well.

Animegomaniac wrote:
So what can happen? spoiler[ For 99.999995% of the world, nothing. They're dead. I suppose the show could have taken the Dark City twist... still would have been a twist... and have the alien/gods abduct the city rather than precisely destroy the rest of the world but then the show would have been about, well, something. Fighting for something rather than just delaying the inevitable.]

Interestingly enough, this point is actually brought up in a little sequel light novel! It’s made explicit that the Hero System spoiler[really was just delaying the inevitable because it was a siege that humanity would end up losing.] The story goes on to say that spoiler[the Hero system is being reworked (without the fairies, so Heroes no longer have Mankai and can die again, as was the case in Washio Sumi is a Hero) and will soon be mass produced to the public.] So it does actually address this exact issue!

Animegomaniac wrote:
But it's weird; These guys are fighting against spoiler[entropy] and spoiler[hostile gods who are like aliens] while the Madoka crew are fighting for spoiler[entropy] and spoiler[indifferent aliens who act like gods].

Okay this also confused me because I’m... not really sure where you got entropy from, with regards to Yuki Yuna? The show is explicit about the fact that spoiler[the girls are fighting against gods who have turned hostile against humanity and think it needs to be destroyed]. There’s no mention of entropy and the motivations of the antagonistic forces of both shows have little to no similarities.

Again, i hope this doesn’t come off like im trying to force the show down your throat, im just interested in what it was about the show that made you come to these conclusions!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Which is why the main thing I dislike about YuYuYu is that, in the ending, spoiler[all the disabilities magically disappear.] Kinda defuses the drama that came before it, making it much weaker on rewatch. One of the best things about Madoka is that it's one of the ~5 anime that don't have disappointing endings.

I have my reservations about the ending too, but at least they earned their happy endings (except Togo anyways). With Madoka spoiler[after being practically useless the whole series Madoka gets god like powers through no effort of her own (it was pretty much all Homura's doing) and hits the big old "fix everything button."]

kotomikun wrote:
Also, man, I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard the phrase "Madoka relied too heavily on shock value." (Or "shock value" complaints in general, but there's virtually no variation in how they're constructed.) Could buy up all those Aniplex-priced shows with that kind of money.

Nothing that happens in Madoka really qualifies as a Sudden Shocking Tweest, that whole perception is a meme, started by people who were so enamored by the Hidamari Sketch character designs that they completely ignored the giant neon warning signs all over the narrative and monster designs and everything else. (Rebellion does have a crazy twist you're unlikely to see coming, but it's a commentary on the narrow-minded interpretation of the series as just a sequence of horrific gut-punches from nowhere.) There is much more going on in Madoka than the overly-infamous twists. And you don't have to take my word for it, because literal books have been written on the subject.

Sure, I knew Madoka was gonna be all dark and stuff once I knew Nitro+ was involved. Sudden plot twists are okay, but not when they result from bad writing. Episode 3: spoiler[Mami, the experience magical girl, suddenly loses all of her skill and stands there like an idiot as she gets killed.] Kyouko spoiler[hates Sayaka, but out of nowhere wants to be friends with her just so she can sacrifice herself later.] And let's not forget the reliance on "Well you didn't ask!"

YuYuYu only had 2 or 3 major twists that were built up during the whole series. Taisha actively hid it from them and they were intelligent and proactive in trying to figure things out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3