• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
I wanted to write this question weeks ago, but kinda forgot.

How does Izuku think he and Ka-chan still qualify as friends when all the dude ever does is insult him??? Even before their Quirks come in, It's clear Ka-chan never thought much of Izuku and continued to badmouth him, calling him useless. Ka-chan looked almost happy that Izuku was Quirkless because it meant he'll forever be better then him.

Poor kid. Believing his friend turned bully is still your friend. Confused I wasn't in the habit of being friends with people who didn't like or insulted me, so Izuku shouldn't be either.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
How does Izuku think he and Ka-chan still qualify as friends when all the dude ever does is insult him???

I agree with you and the only reason is that Midoriya just wants to believe it. Remember that Midoriya had to deal with the news that he would never get a quirk and his method was to study heroes and everything about them as much as he could. To Midoriya, Kacchan was the closest thing to a hero he was close to. So of course he wanted to be friends even at the cost of a few bruises.

I am a bit reminded about the early relationship between Mr. Incredible and Buddy.

Kacchan's problem is a massive inferiority complex. When he is in thrall to it there is no amount of power he can possess that will be enough for him. Praise and worship from Midioriya means nothing to him. Maybe he will get over it eventualy.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
How does Izuku think he and Ka-chan still qualify as friends when all the dude ever does is insult him???

Kacchan's problem is a massive inferiority complex. When he is in thrall to it there is no amount of power he can possess that will be enough for him. Praise and worship from Midioriya means nothing to him. Maybe he will get over it eventualy.

Bakugo does have a huge, totally unexplained inferiority complex. He's actually so worried about being inferior that he's convinced himself he is the superior.

There's a scene in Fairy Tail where Laxus get's knocked on his ass by Jura and Jura says "In this world there's always someone higher than you."

Laxus then jumps to his feet and punches him saying "Sometimes you need to look down too. Cause that guy might be at your feet."

It's as if Kacchan has taken that line to heart and now lives in a constant state of total fear that there's someone stronger at his feet.

Also yeah Deku has serious "Shonen Protagonist Friend Syndrome.", you know where the protagonists insist he/she is friends with someone who clearly wants nothing to do with them, or in some cases just outright assaults them all the time.

There was Naruto and Sasuke, a little bit with Natsu and Gray, even Luffy forces friendship on people who don't like him (Buggy).

This is one of the cases where MHA takes too much influence from Naruto, having the MC think he's friends with someone who anyone else would say to stay away from that guy hates everyone.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
To Midoriya, Kacchan was the closest thing to a hero he was close to.

If Midoriya saw Kacchan as more of a hero, then he needs to have his head examined.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Bakugo does have a huge, totally unexplained inferiority complex. He's actually so worried about being inferior that he's convinced himself he is the superior.

There's a scene in Fairy Tail where Laxus get's knocked on his ass by Jura and Jura says "In this world there's always someone higher than you."

Laxus then jumps to his feet and punches him saying "Sometimes you need to look down too. Cause that guy might be at your feet."

It's as if Kacchan has taken that line to heart and now lives in a constant state of total fear that there's someone stronger at his feet.

This boy's personality gives my headaches. Bakugo should stop thinking he has to be better then everyone else. Or that other heroes will surpass him. That's not what being a hero is about.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Also yeah Deku has serious "Shonen Protagonist Friend Syndrome.", you know where the protagonists insist he/she is friends with someone who clearly wants nothing to do with them, or in some cases just outright assaults them all the time.

There was Naruto and Sasuke, a little bit with Natsu and Gray, even Luffy forces friendship on people who don't like him (Buggy).

This is one of the cases where MHA takes too much influence from Naruto, having the MC think he's friends with someone who anyone else would say to stay away from that guy hates everyone.

Yeah, that bullshit only happens in anime or manga. Never before have I come across a situation like that.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
The thing with Kachan is somewhat simple. From a very young age people have been telling him how amazing he is. So he started believing he was amazing, and in fact, he is. But here's the catch: since everyone though he was amazing, they thought he could do anything. So that left Kachan surrounded by people who though he never needed any help with anything ever. That left him all alone, while surrounded by people. So he forced himself to believe he didn't need any help, even though he wanted help. When he fell off that bridge, everyone just said he'd be fine, but Deku came to help him anyway. Even though Kachan wanted help at the same time he didn't, because he woulnd't be "amazing" anymore. And that's why he's always angry. He's always in conflict with himself. He doesn't technically have an inferiority complex, but he's so afraid of being inferior that he's always on the attack.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

An inferiority complex does not need to be explained (at least as far as whether or not someone has one). You can eventually give a character a reason why they have one, but I would be fine if they never ever explained Bakugo's. I'd just interpret it to mean that he's had the inferiority complex for as long as he can remember (even if he doesn't know he has one) and that it's a natural partof his personality.

Animechic420 wrote:
This boy's personality gives my headaches. Bakugo should stop thinking he has to be better then everyone else. Or that other heroes will surpass him. That's not what being a hero is about.

He should stop thinking like that...but I've met people who are actually like that, so Bakugo's a very believable character to me. (None of them ever claimed they wanted to be a hero though. Most were pretty upfront about wanting to be at the top of the hill.)

DmonHiro wrote:
The thing with Kachan is somewhat simple. From a very young age people have been telling him how amazing he is. So he started believing he was amazing, and in fact, he is. But here's the catch: since everyone though he was amazing, they thought he could do anything. So that left Kachan surrounded by people who though he never needed any help with anything ever. That left him all alone, while surrounded by people. So he forced himself to believe he didn't need any help, even though he wanted help. When he fell off that bridge, everyone just said he'd be fine, but Deku came to help him anyway. Even though Kachan wanted help at the same time he didn't, because he woulnd't be "amazing" anymore. And that's why he's always angry. He's always in conflict with himself. He doesn't technically have an inferiority complex, but he's so afraid of being inferior that he's always on the attack.

Yeah, this was explained in the manga outright as exactly that. Recently in the manga, spoiler[Bakugo's mom shows she's painfully aware of that and comically slaps Bakugo on the head at seemingly random intervals in an attempt to counteract the praise other people give him. Bakugo definitely inherited his hot-bloodedness from her though.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
He should stop thinking like that...but I've met people who are actually like that, so Bakugo's a very believable character to me. (None of them ever claimed they wanted to be a hero though. Most were pretty upfront about wanting to be at the top of the hill.)

One of Bakugo's motivations is being the the hero on top of the hill so hey, it fits.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely hate recap. 2/5 I'm really looking forward to the season tho.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Loved the first episode, though mostly because I loved the end of last season and I had that "Oh shit it's back!" feeling going on. Hope this season dodges season 1's tendency to move way too slowly, because when it got rolling it was hard to compete with it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
my favorite part was all the added emphasis to toohru (invisible girl) , since I like palying the spot toohru game.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel like MHA is dangerously approaching pacing issues. Strangly it's the opposite of Food Wars Season 2 where everything was paced way too fast and crammed into 12 episodes, MHA is being dragged out slowly to 24.

Sometimes it feels like the whole front half of an episode drags and drags but then the last 10 mins speeds by so fast you almost miss it.

When we heard 24 episodes many people felt we'd cover at least the next 3 or 4 arcs spoiler[ Up to at least the end of the summer camp]

but now it feels like we're going to get the Sports Festival and the arc that follows it and that's it, that's not a lot of manga content for 24 episodes.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We're in the "nothing's super impressive but at least everything's on-model so far" phase of the series.

The animation during Todoroki's ice power showcase was super impressive! I really hope that's not the only sakuga Yutaka Nakamura gives us. I NEED MOAR, YUTAPON! Surprised
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
That Kacchan dude wins my award for Character Who Most Needs Several Swift Kicks to the Face. Jesus, I hate that dick. Total one note character and that note is really, really irritating.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I certainly wouldn't say this episode didn't have anything cool. Yutaka Nakamura's first scene with ice animation was a real treat that I hope to see a lot more later down this arc.

Other than that, a relatively okay episode, which was mainly setting up for stuff without being particularly boring (the training montage was pretty neat as well, showing the connections between everybody). I'm so hyped to see the start of next episode, one of my favorite parts in the manga.

Blood- wrote:
That Kacchan dude wins my award for Character Who Most Needs Several Swift Kicks to the Face. Jesus, I hate that dick. Total one note character and that note is really, really irritating.

Just as curiosity, what would be his one note? I tend to see differing opinions on the matter.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Being a complete dick. He's absolutely shitty to Midoriya all of the time and he's arrogant all of the time. I have seen absolutely no other facets to his character. If I'm not remembering something, please feel free to point it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 81