• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Whoa, that was something. A kind of perfect final lesson where Koro-sensei was having a birthday party (a cake) with his students, but someone just had to come in wreck it.

Also interesting seeing how Koro-sensei failed with his first student.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also interesting seeing how Koro-sensei failed with his first student.

A self-taught prodigy assassin who is inhumanly good at everything and has remorselessly dispatched a thousand targets is in no way likely to be a good teacher. In fact his transition to the Koro-sensei that Class E knows was about as plausible as the physics behind his tentacle super-powers. In other words not very.

But that's not what this story is about and those two facts don't bother me and probably not anyone else enjoying the anime.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Very satisfying episode as the animators do justice to the big showdown between Koro-Sensei and his first student. The VA for Yanagisawa certainly put in a shift to convey the urge for revenge which drove both the scientist and the assassin to choose the course of actions that led them to this showdown.

Putting aside how Kayano could have been dead for up to 10 minutes (based on episode runtime), it's still amazing to see the lengths to which Koro-Sensei would go to protect his students. Nagisa figured out the class was the big weakness since the dam arc but never voiced it loud until this week. Although both Yanagisawa and Nagisa were right in a way, Koro-Sensei still found a way to prove them both wrong by showing how the class and the bonds he forged with them still held the key to victory.

Two more episodes to go. The audience is reminded that the big laser focused on the classroom and its environs is still charging up to fire so the students and their teacher need to get a move on with their next move.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 23

So intense! This episode felt like a climax to me. Koro-sensei and his students facing their biggest adversary yet and I have to say, it was quite satisfying to watch. Poor Kayano..but I have to admit that she showed tremendous courage this episode.

Good episode overall, glad to see that Kayano recovered.

Two more episodes left ...Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
More than Koro-sensei effectively playing god, I think that the important fact was that as a teacher he was still learning. Although he taught his students so much during the year, seemingly with ease beyond what they could do, but he was still learning, both with how he could do something like save a life, and all the emotions and experiences that they gave him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote

So the deed is done. Everything which came before comes down to this lengthy episode where the class finishes what they trained to do over the academic year.

Considering the pace of the last few weeks, this week's episode is one of the slowest in memory. Unsurprising since this is the week which serves as the emotional climax for the students and Koro-Sensei himself.

Nice insert song by the ensemble cast, sounds very much like what a regular class would do upon their graduation. The final roll call is lengthy, but necessary to close things out as each student present goes through a full year of memories to bring about some sense of closure. Not a dry eye in the house after the target was finished off, even the AI and Karasuma couldn't hold back the tears (AI crying?!)

One little moment of humour despite the theme of farewells: the thickness of the manuals and the graduation album. Koro-Sensei's minute sense of detail for each and every one of his students actually helping them sleep off the night's endeavours!

For those who skip the credits and ending ED, don't miss this week's as there's a key difference. It's a very nice touch from the animators and worth a peek.

Next week's episode is basically the epilogue showing what happens to the gifted class of assassins after they graduate. Great for those aware of the source material, for everyone else it should close out the individual stories now that the main character has left the stage.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, I shed a little tear this week.

Mainly because looking and reflecting back everything between Koro-sensei and his students. So many memories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
A lengthy rollcall, but meaningful and tear-filled one. The assassination classroom has graduated.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
A pretty realistic ending for such a bizarre story. Koro-sensei ended up a winner after all.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P

That was the hardest 23 minutes I've sat through in a long time. I'd go as far as to not needing a 25th episode to wrap everything up, as 'this' finale was nothing short of perfect. Such a sad, but beautiful end to one of the best loved characters I can remember in years.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Even knowing the ending, I still got misty-eyed at the finale!
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
"Congratulations on graduating."

Seeing this episode really made me tear up. Does every graduation (well, technically they graduate tomorrow, but still) in anime have to be so sad? Gash Bell/Zatch Bell (the manga), Angel Beats, and now this! Lord help me when this gets dubbed (I'm more attached to Sonny Strait's portrayal than Tomokazu Seki's, sue me). I'll be in the hospital all day with a broken heart.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Anyone besides me find it funny how everyone has gotten so sentimental over a conscience-less psychopath assassin that killed a thousand people without remorse before the story started?

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anyone besides me find it funny how everyone has gotten so sentimental over a conscious-less psychopath assassin that killed a thousand people without remorse before the story started?

I'm assuming you meant conscience-less? Of course, the point of the story is that Sensei is a very different person now then when he was a human assassin, thanks to his association with the lamentably dead Sensei Big Boobs/Poor Fashion Sense. It's this new entity that people are sentimental about, not the former remorseless killer. Beside, I bet some of those 1,000 had it comin'...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anyone besides me find it funny how everyone has gotten so sentimental over a conscious-less psychopath assassin that killed a thousand people without remorse before the story started?

Not a big fan of the concept of redemption based on the above.

The anti-matter octopus deserved to die at the end based on dispassionate analysis, but you're not one of the students in Class 3E.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19