• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga in Walmart

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll sell them for $10, or if they'll "rollback" the price.
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:01 pm Reply with quote
My Wal-Mart sells them for $7.95
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Walmart sells at something like 10% off the news stand price.

Earlier this year they were selling the Monsters Inc. Cinimanga, I had a feeling it would help Tokyopop get a foot in the door.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:31 pm Reply with quote
$8 for manga? Man, if I didn't hate Wal-Mart for being the evil corporate entity that is running competition into the ground by use of anti-union tactics and poor compensation I would be there.
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:34 pm Reply with quote
They sell manga at Walmart? Next time I go there I'll have to check it out.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Cool, now I don't have to drive so far (or spend so much) to get manga.

Buuuuut...it's Wal-Mart. Watch, some soccer mom will complain and they'll start editing manga like they do CDs. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Cool, now I don't have to drive so far (or spend so much) to get manga.

Buuuuut...it's Wal-Mart. Watch, some soccer mom will complain and they'll start editing manga like they do CDs. Laughing

Oh man, you're probably right. But until that day comes, long live unedited manga at wal-mart!
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Do they sell the Kenshin manga there?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Wallmart owns the Asda supermarket chain in the UK. I'll check if they are selling it here too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
$8 for manga? Man, if I didn't hate Wal-Mart for being the evil corporate entity that is running competition into the ground by use of anti-union tactics and poor compensation I would be there.

My feelings exactly. I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart unless it's my last option... I'm not boycotting them, but I do avoid them as much as possible.

And since the place where I pick up all my manga carries TPOP's stuff, there's no need for me to go to Wal-Mart.

But aside form hating Wal-Mart, this is good news for TPOP and the manga industry as a whole.

-t
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they'd sell Kenshin, Sesshoumaru-sama. Viz owns the rights to that series, not TokyoPop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Silvercat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:42 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:

I agree.
This is going to hurt where I work even more than manga showing up in places like Suncoast and Borders. I work at a comic book store and less and less people come in and buy the manga trades from us than from just last year.

Also the price is temping, but I can't bring myself to give Walmart money.
I don't like some of Walmart business practices. I fear that this could have Tokyopop makeing censor version for Walmart or even worse make only censor version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I love Wal-Mart; the Kirkland (a Montreal borough, formerly a suburb) store, when it opened, was so much nicer than any of the other discount department store chains in the area, and was miles better than the crappy Woolco store it replaced. Since Wal-Mart opened in Canada, their primary competition, Zellers, have also improved their stores, competition being a good thing and the impetus of change.

That being said, I'll only believe that the Kirkland store will get manga when I see it on the shelves... well, manga in English, at least. They've had at least Dragonball in French on the shelves for the best part of a decade now. Otherwise, I'll just continue buying manga at my favourite "big-box" bookstore (which also put a lot of smaller, independent bookstores out of business).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I have a walmart 3 miles away,so I should probably check it out.What titles do they have their anyway?
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Buuuuut...it's Wal-Mart. Watch, some soccer mom will complain and they'll start editing manga like they do CDs.

They don't really edit CDs...do they. Please god no, please god no, please god no *bought Metallica from them*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6