• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2nd and Charles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
Anyone else shop at the chain 2nd and Charles? It's a newer place in town and I haven't had much experience with it. It's a mixed new and used media store (Books, movies, games, music, even a large comics section).

Because I love used media stores (great place for half price anime and manga) and there aren't any other stores of this sort in my area I want to support it, but I didn't see anything used on I wanted this weekend.

But they did have a few new copies of Only Yesterday (BD/DVD) stocked, so I thought of picking it up. But... no price? I found an employee sand asked for a scan: $32.99 - That's $2 off MSRP.
Really? How does a store expect to be competitive if they offer no discernible discount on a new release?

The place worries me. The storefront's too big (They moved into a closed Books-A-Million), the new product is over-priced, and there doesn't seem to be a rewards program to keep people coming.

And while I want to support them, I have my limits on what I feel is a good price. I ended up going to Beast Buy and getting it for $10 less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
I have one in my area and have been planning to stop by to check it out. I have family that has used it and they've been happy with trading in video games, but not so happy when it comes to books and other items. They will either give you cash for trade-ins or store credit (up to you) and usually the store credit is a little higher amount. They are a retail chain and I think they sell both new and used, so I wouldn't be surprised if some things will be full retail price. I know they sometimes have sales like buy 3 used books and get one free and stuff like that. However, I would find not having a price tag and having to find someone to scan it annoying. I hope they all don't do that.

This is their website. I plan to stop in the one in my area sometime in the next week or so. I will post my impressions here when I get the chance.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I visit up where I went to college, I stop by the one that moved into the closed Borders. I enjoy it quite a bit, their new prices are nothing special, but the used ones are pretty good and I've found some really rare things there (like another copy of Orguss 02 for $9).

Their pricing is weird though, if they have, say, three copies of volume 1 of Naruto, one will try to sell for $5, the next will have a $4.50 sticker on it, and the last might have $3.75 on it. If there are multiple copies, there are often multiple prices, so look at all of them! And no, they won't all come up $3.75 at the register. So their current stock does affect trade in value by that logic. And it seems to be based on quantity, not quality, whatever came in used first gets the higher priced sticker. I still got more trade in there than other used book stores I've been to though. And there are clearance sections, some of which may be chock full of $1 manga (last time I was there, mother-effin' Basara was in there! Not like, all of it, but a good chunk!)

I do like that they have older console systems too, not just this and last gen, but Genesis and Atari 2600 games.

A newer one might not have as much goodies as one that's been around a while, but I suspect they import goodies from other stores too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1