• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time Travel Girl (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote

Time Travel Girl (TV)

Genres: science fiction
Themes: historical, time travel

Plot Summary: Mari Hayase is on a mission to go back in time and meet eight of the most prominent scientists and inventors in history. With the help of her two friends Waka Mizuki and Jun Mizuki she'll find herself up close and personal with famous figures like Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, and so many more.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

This does seem to be an edutainment show aimed at probably slightly younger audiences, but I quite liked the first episode. Well I actually kind of started laughing when the various historical scientists showed up in the OP, I thought it was a bit of a joke, but the whole thing seems to have a charm to it. Maybe I am kind of reminded of the edutainment shows I used to watch, but mixed with her modern day time with her friend, bakery, and the mystery of her father, I am kind of in.

I also appreciate the showing of how to use an Automatic Electronic Defibrillator, the steps of which I learned from doing a first aid course in the past. But there is also details like when she goes to the past her attire and the fact that she can communicate fluently is brought up. That a women fainted after seeing her sudden appearance, it is not by chance that she comments that wearing the corset makes it hard for her to breathe. And that she knows that the answer to the direction of a compass is common knowledge, but she just does not know it herself, probably not too far off counting her answer to ones appearance in a mirror, yet she could tell the likely problem her friend had in making a cake.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode, but holy crap spoiler[Futa going into cardiac arrest was something I wasn't expecting.] The fact that spoiler[the necklace can make it so that there isn't a language barrier was a nice touch.] The overall plot set up should be entertaining to see.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
So basically, this Mari girl is...

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am kind of enjoying the whole charm of this show. Hopefully she does not alter time, especially with her bakery knowledge.

I do wonder where she got another change of her uniform that she must have accidentally left behind in the past.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
So, why literally almost nobody care about this show? Just because it is aimed for younger audience? It's a lot of fun to watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yeah they made Benjamin Franklin "more handsome" than he is usually seen as, but the show itself was kind of pointing it out, and along with him being a total ham, it was kind of fun. Some accuracy is good, but also need entertainment. Which maybe also bring up the focus on the normalcy of slavery in the time period.

It was all kind of quick, but fun. Oh, the automatic translator, kind of makes me think of that video showing new technology by being a creep to Japanese women. And that kind of feels a bit ironic with how Benjamin Franklin was portrayed.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Bishonen Ben Franklin, the show continues to be fun edutainment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
Well, have you ever seen a picture of Franklin when he wasn't in his 50-60s? Depending on how old he was when he started going bald up top, I think they did a pretty good job of depicting him.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
I wondered a bit about the subtextual message being sent, that innovative thinking and scientific discovery is something that happens in the West. I wonder if Mari will ask about this at some point so the writers can discuss Japanese insularity particularly during the late Edo period. Maybe the Edison episode will make mention of Tanaka Hisashige, the "Thomas Edison of Japan," and founder of what later became Toshiba.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Couldn't it just because kids watching this learned about Japanese inventors in school already? By focusing on English ones they can teach kids something they didn't already know.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

It would seem that we had more of a focus on the main plot of the series this time rather than Mari just being with one of the scientists. Especially with how Mari finally ran into her dad, which is great, but her dad is a little surprised to see her, since to him Mari is an elementary schooler and he has not given the necklace yet, which now has him knowing that he has to give her the necklace. Lets just say that things were getting a bit timey wimey, and also that her "doctor" of a father gets a bit "Doctor". Okay, maybe a bit more violent and intimidating, but also hammy with lines like "electric punch" when using Tasers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well Waka has joined in, only the expedition did not quite go as she might have expected.... she got left behind. I kind of liked the unpredictable nature of that. As smart as Waka is, she has her own share of problems, like not seeing the paradoxes involved in her original idea. I did half expect Waka to test the language thing by trying to speak English and see what happens, something that actually come up in in Doctor Who.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Kind of funny that her reunion with her father has him trying to get her to help him sell electric magnet kits. And the revelation that he had to do it because he made the guy who was supposed to do it too drunk.

The episode reminded me of the River Song catchphrase: "spoilers". Because of the Mari coming across her father in another time travel, but also because Shun seemed to get some by reading too far ahead in the book. That is he found out that he is supposed to invent the technology. Also, all of the shipping seems to be pretty strong with Mari and Shun.

Actually... took a look at what that book said. It was kind of spoilers that spoiler[Mari was supposed to create something called the JTSCC (Japanese Time and Space Control Committee).] Which I guess is her spoiler[getting upset at her father for messing up time] is foreshadowing.

Also, the pudding scene with the supposed villains.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, all of the shipping seems to be pretty strong with Mari and Shun.

I didn't think the series had been per se, but her mom and Waka sure are sailing that boat all of a sudden.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly I think that Mari actually got heart eyes from seeing him in the first episode when he used the AED, which was hinting that she had some attraction to him. And kind of felt like others around her would know this about her, and it just did not come up again until later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2