• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Heishi wrote:
I didn't mind the mechas in Destiny of Shrine Maiden, at all.
Not to mention I wish the show got more love as well.

I have a love-hate relationship with this series. I've gone on countless rants about it. Anime hyper I despise Chikane and the canon pairing but like everything else.

Quote:
SAO is the not worst thing in this world.

Lol that's not an unpopular opinion. Many people here love SAO.

What do you mean by "but like everything else"?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

she likes everything in the show that isn't Chikane and her relationship with Himeko
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Heishi wrote:

she likes everything in the show that isn't Chikane and her relationship with Himeko

Well, I appreciate you weighing in, fellow KnM fan. (Or as I personally like to refer to fans as Kannazukiaites or Kannazukists, lol).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
OPM was not the first superhero anime/manga. "Kinnikuman," "Skullman," "Tiger & Bunny," and "Zetman" would like to have a word with you guys and extend their middle fingers to ONE.

That's true, but whether you like the series or not, OPM is the new standard-setter for super-hero series. That's why anything involving super-heroes which comes out in the next few years is going to be compared to it. So get used to it.

Ignoring how "My Hero Academia" was treated, what also annoys me is how everything it gets praised for, other works have done it and did it better. "Tiger & Bunny" subtly deconstructed the superhero genre, as well as provide social commentary on how commercialized superheroes have become in recent years. Why aren't people unfairly comparing "My Hero Academia" to that series? In terms of tone and themes, they're a lot more similar.

[Edit]: Removed snark. Please talk about anime, not cast aspersions on other fans. Thanks. Errinundra.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Here's my unpopular opinion. The term "Deconstruction" is being tossed around way too often. I feel like fans don't know what it means anymore. (I personally fail to see how My Hero Academia is anything but a (very well done) genre piece of the shounen genre.)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I support feminism but frown upon misandry. Nuff said. Well, any anime that tries to get across the message "This gender is better than this gender" gets automatic black-list treatment from me.

Uhm, Utena isn't saying that at all. It shows as many toxic female characters as it does males. Look at Miki's sister, she's manipulative and shows self-destructive tendencies to get her brother to do her bidding. Miki on the other hand, is shown to be kind, intelligent and a good friend for Utena who does care for Anthy and stops pursuing her after his defeat in the first duel. The girls from Nanami's squad turn petty and vindictive when one of them starts getting Touga's attention, and the girl that Juri had a crush on was awful with her on all accounts -purposefully "stealing" a guy she thought Juri liked, then mocking her when she learned Juri was in love with her-.

Yes, the main male characters are antagonists, because the show is challenging the patriarcal discourse of fairy tales and the prince and princess archetypes (and the patriarchy in general), plus showcasing the nature of toxic relationships. but it's not treating women as the perfect gender, nor does it treat all men as monsters.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Madoka Magica is a well-written story, but in terms of execution, it's a rushed mess until the final quarter. There's no time to feel for certain characters (like Mami and Kyoko), Sayaka's arc feels forced (no time spent on Sousuke to make us want them to be together is a big problem), and if you know the plot twists ahead of time, there's no weight behind a lot of these scenes. That last one might sound obvious, but I had a lot spoiled for me when watching Fate/Zero for the first time (even beyond what F/SN already spoils) and I still felt moved by the scenes as they happened. When a certain character is forced to kill himself, I knew it would happen, but the way it happened was so shocking and abrupt that it made me gasp aloud. When a certain character in Madoka turns into a certain monster, I rolled my eyes a bit (though the music is still badass throughout the series, especially in that scene). Kyoko's end was especially empty, as it's implied that she wanted to die with Sayaka, who she knew for a full four episodes. This is selfish when you take into account that she didn't NEED to do this and in doing so, leaves Homura to defeat Walpurgisnaught on her own.

I wouldn't say Madoka is bad, but I feel like the execution was rushed for a story that sounds amazing on paper. I expect to be lynched by the rabid fans before tomorrow.
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Kyoko's spoiler[end was especially empty, as it's implied that she wanted to die] with Sayaka, who she knew for a full four episodes. This is selfish when you take into account that she didn't NEED to do this and in doing so, leaves Homura to defeat Walpurgisnaught on her own.

To be fair, the protagonists of Madoka are around 14 years old, so I forgive them if they act selfish or immature at times. Besides, when one's mental health is stressed to the limit rationality eventually goes out the window. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I support feminism but frown upon misandry. Nuff said. Well, any anime that tries to get across the message "This gender is better than this gender" gets automatic black-list treatment from me.

Uhm, Utena isn't saying that at all. It shows as many toxic female characters as it does males..

I still dislike the series. Almost everyone is unlikable, almost all the relationships are terrible, and its themes are screwed up and it takes itself too seriously for how bizarre it is. I just don't go for that crap. lol

Heishi wrote:
Well, I appreciate you weighing in, fellow KnM fan. (Or as I personally like to refer to fans as Kannazukiaites or Kannazukists, lol).

Sure. :3 To expand, I really adore both Himeko and Souma, the music is amazing, (I turned into a KOTOKO fangirl because of this show) the Japanese mythology they create the story on is just fascinating, the art is nice as well as the character designs (which actually look much better than the manga tbh RARE lol) and there is such a strange blend of elements that it really feels like a unique show. You can't say "Oh it's just like [blank]".

.....Himeko would so be my waifu if I was a guy. Anime hyper She's the most moe creature I've ever seen. lol But since I prefer boys....
*squeezes Souma plushie*
Ahhhhh perfection....Anime smile
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Here's my unpopular opinion. The term "Deconstruction" is being tossed around way too often. I feel like fans don't know what it means anymore. (I personally fail to see how My Hero Academia is anything but a (very well done) genre piece of the shounen genre.)

I guess because there's no term for a series that's good in spite of what cliches it may have.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

I guess because there's no term for a series that's good in spite of what cliches it may have.

I don't particularly mind the use of Deconstruction if it fits, but these days, a somewhat darker genre piece is seen as a "Deconstruction." It's like if I called Cowboy Bebop a deconstruction of having a job that doesn't pay hourly wages because they rarely have money and only get paid when there's a bounty to catch. That's not a deconstruction guys! Steins;Gate isn't a deconstruction of time travel stories. Fate/Zero isn't a deconstruction of battle royal stories. I think hearing that something is super dark and subversive just gets people to want to see it, but sometimes people say that something is a deconstruction that isn't a deconstruction for view bait of their favorite anime.

Night fox wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Kyoko's spoiler[end was especially empty, as it's implied that she wanted to die] with Sayaka, who she knew for a full four episodes. This is selfish when you take into account that she didn't NEED to do this and in doing so, leaves Homura to defeat Walpurgisnaught on her own.

To be fair, the protagonists of Madoka are around 14 years old, so I forgive them if they act selfish or immature at times. Besides, when one's mental health is stressed to the limit rationality eventually goes out the window. Wink

I get that, but it's still not built up to very well due to time constraints. The 12 episode run time hurts the show's effectiveness for me, and Kyoko is the character who suffers most from it. Keep in mind, while you say that her stress affected her rationale, she was (arguably) the most mentally stable of the bunch throughout the show. The way she up and reveals her backstory to Sayaka in hopes of getting her on the right path takes some level of maturity. Yes, she's a child. Yes, some selfishness or thoughtlessness (especially pointless self-sacrifice for the sake of a romanticized end to one's life) are understandable. But not in this way from this character.

I hope I don't sound too harsh on the subject. I'm open to differing opinions or an explanation behind the behavior, but the "they're kids, what do you expect?" thing always bugged me. Lots of people excuse nonsensical acts in Future Diary because "the character is mentally unstable. What do you expect?" Or "The character was raped" or "The character just lost his parents." These characters aren't meant to be generalized because of their ages.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Sure. :3 To expand, I really adore both Himeko and Souma, the music is amazing, (I turned into a KOTOKO fangirl because of this show) the Japanese mythology they create the story on is just fascinating, the art is nice as well as the character designs (which actually look much better than the manga tbh RARE lol) and there is such a strange blend of elements that it really feels like a unique show. You can't say "Oh it's just like [blank]".

.....Himeko would so be my waifu if I was a guy. Anime hyper She's the most moe creature I've ever seen. lol But since I prefer boys....
*squeezes Souma plushie*
Ahhhhh perfection....Anime smile

I see.
You know this is funny. The whole Chikane x Himeko/Souma x Himeko thing reminds me of a certain conflict. I'm not gonna say it of course, but yes.

Perhaps there should be a day of darkness holiday for both types of KnM fans.
Both remembering the "dark day". Himeko and Souma fans celebrating it in a different way.

But putting all that aside, I was referring to getchman, actually.

[Edit]: removed superfluous nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

oh. Sorry, but I didn't really like the show
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Heishi wrote:

oh. Sorry, but I didn't really like the show

But it is rated "very good" on your list. Confused
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
I thought it was good until the end of episode 08.

Then I got really angry.

Then by the ending, I was absolutely livid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 84