• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mob Psycho 100 (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Mob Psycho 100 (TV)
Season 2 - Mob Psycho 100 II (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - Mob Psycho 100 III (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, psychological, supernatural
Themes: coming-of-age, espers, exorcism, ghosts, school, spirits, superpowers

Plot Summary: "Mob" is a boy who will explode if his emotional capacity reaches 100%. This boy with psychic powers earned his nickname "Mob" because he does not stand out among other people. He keeps his psychic powers bottled up so he can live normally, but if his emotional level reaches 100, something will overwhelm his entire body.

S1-2 - Crunchyroll
Season 3 - October 5, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

The preview alone got me hyped for this. Also from the creator of One Punch Man so expect crazy action.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Holy shit this was beautiful. The art style and way the animation choreography is done is just astonishing. And I love how they are keeping the style of the artwork based on the manga. The OP song is nice, very stylistic and catchy too imo.

Voice acting is decent as well. Definitely a good start so far imo. I hope this will be a 2-cour (maybe?). Very fun and exciting stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
You know when you are reading you put your own take and voices to the characters, well I have been reading the manga and Reigen Arataka way more annoying animated.

Anyway besides that I really enjoyed seeing that manga brought to life. this is definitely on my watch list.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Almost stopped watching after that unbearable first sequence with the customers. Glad I didn't though - everything from the OP song and following was great! I'll check out ep 2
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The One-Punch Man parallels are easy with that ONE is author, but for some reason it was kind of also reminding me of Osomatsu-san.

So far the I am not convinced of the humour, but it could be a style that could grow on me. The crazy visuals on the other hand are definitely worth watching.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
eh, thought this was mostly boring. The art style sure didn't grab me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Ah, Tome is funny to watch. I also thought the phone conversation segment was priceless.. Same with the gender bender outfits.

As expected, the action and comedy is very amusing and art is well adapted. Glad to see the Telepathy club being properly introduced and I have to say, they are very entertaining. The ending had a trollish vibe to it lol

ED theme is quite well done imo.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised by this second episode. Way less unfunny comedy, and I'd say even more visually interesting than the first episode. Keep on focusing on Mob instead of Reigen, that seems to be the winning formula.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
I really like the fingerpaint style of the exorcism scene and the ED. Not totally sold on much else yet. But I find the long sweatdrops off-putting for both the sheer number of them and that they look even more like skin growths than normal ones do.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was a step up, with some surprising twists (I did not see the punchline coming!). I loved how the crossdressing jokes weren't the whole point of the girls' school excursion. Mob actually did something genuinely heroic and look cool doing it, getting the sdmiration of a bunch of older girls. It was a cool scene, and it was confidence building for out chronically unsure of himself protagonist. Mob has a very relate able character that we rarely see in anime: the kid who has trouble making decisions and wants to please everyone, and is not sure what he wants himself. He's also naïve and good natured, which makes him an easy target for others' manipulation. He's lowkey, with lots of room for growth and really fun to root for! I'm very interested to see where this goes next.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
episodes one and two

I'm already getting the sense that I'm going to be the contrarian again for another ONE adaptation - I actually thought the humor got worse going from the first to second episode. I literally only broke a stone face once. The more mundane atmosphere in the second always left us with a less vibrant soundtrack (though, that's still my favorite part of the show).

I sort of wish for how strange the show was in many ways, it didn't feel quite so bland and typical at heart. I was really hoping for some actual derailment from the standard "make the most of your youth" line, but it stayed square on the tracks.

I'm finding myself reminded of Fritz the Cat. The style of animation and the long buildup to underwhelming jokes, in particular. Specifically not the four-way in a tub (yet).
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
This show is utterly beautiful and magnificent...

and almost unwatchably stupid. It's following the really disappointing trend of Space Dandy and One Punch Man, other things that were visual masterpieces but otherwise terrible.

I really wish I could see something like Birdy or Noein again, where there's a similar animation style but the story is also serious and extremely well executed.

As someone who is a huge fan of animation and also a creator of animation, I really like the way this looks, but to me the animation being in service of something not skull-bashingly stupid is the difference between something I'll say is really cool and something I'll say changed my life completely (like a lot of the animation in Birdy and Noein)

I'll be watching this, but I had to turn the subtitles off. For one I don't want to be distracted from the visuals by them and it's also a little less painful when I understand less of what's being said.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Wow. This week's episode.... I was on the edge of my seat as to how entertaining it was with the "smiling" segments. Creepy but entertaining as I wanted to see if they can push Mob over the edge.

They did but not the way expected.

The fight was fast but stylistic and awesome. Also, funny to see Mezato this episode. Not my favorite character in the series but she adds some comedy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
Interesting that the emotions he usually lacks in showing could come back when he reaches %100.

So would we say that Mob took the guy out with "one punch"?

I wonder about that girl that Mob likes, maybe despite her appearance she is not for him. Like her telling him to read the mood.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
episode three

So, this was a marked improvement. After the first two episodes had me worried about the trajectory, this was my favorite episode so far. The poorly executed cold read techniques demonstrated by the cultist who brings Mob in was great. The whole thing reminded me of the Happy Happyists from EarthBound.

The show still has a weird way of dragging certain things out too much, though. Also, I'm really hoping we get an interesting spirit at some point. Mob hasn't been given any opportunities to actually interact with other interesting characters, considering how one-note his "mentor" is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5