• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Signing Off

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
It seems like every time a writer moves on from a column, or a particular column ends my initial reaction is, "Already?" Then I'm reminded that I've actually been reading it for years.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Special credit must go to forums user belvadeer, who I believe gave point-by-point breakdowns for every column over several years.

Todd, I'm really flattered and genuinely happy that you mentioned me. Thank you man, for making this article one to always jump to every week these past eight years. Glad you enjoyed my breakdowns, because they were always a joy to do. Hearing appreciative words like that is making recovering from my surgery a little easier. ^^
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Thank you for eight years of entertaining articles, Todd. I'm going to miss the jokes hidden among the screenshots; I loved reading those. I look forward to reading those again in future reviews.

I've always meant to play Covenant of the Plume but never got around to it. Now to go hunting for it...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and the soundtrack is spectacular.

... Too bad each song is only, like, 30 seconds looped over and over again. I really like Nier, but that did get kind of grating when playing for extended periods of time.

Anyways, thanks for all the coverage of the sort of games I actually care about.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
. . . with the talented Dustin Bailey (that's Dustin, not Justin) at its helm.

I see what you did there!

Quote:
LADY LAYTON LAUNCHES LATEST LINK IN LEVEL-5'S LONG-LASTING LIKEABLE LECTURER LINE

Beautiful.

Thanks for all that you have done. See you next mission indeed!
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Always loved this column. A great insight into gaming.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
As long as you keep writing often, calling out the gross things in games that make everyone look bad, praising classic titles that have fallen out of view and appealing to the sensibilities of aging nerds that grew up in the 80's... I'll keep reading.

And thanks again for the Halloween prize pack.
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, and exactly how long ago did you decide to use that Monster World IV beach picture for the banner of your final article? Laughing

With regards to underappreciated games, Monster World IV is of course a great pick. I've got huge nostalgia for it and for Wonder Boy in Monster World, having played the latter growing up and the former in college. (I'd be remiss here if I didn't mention the best remix of Monster World IV music again, as you're one of the few people who can appreciate it.) There's a bunch of other games that didn't get enough love, but the main ones I can think of off the top of my head that were released stateside in the last 8 years are basically anything by Falcom. I also think Ar Tonelico 2 deserved more credit than it got, though I wasn't as troubled by the pandering as some. It still had a trash localization, however. Thanks NISA!

In any case, thanks for years of entertaining and enlightening videogame content. The X Button was always a nice treat to help the dregs of the week go down more smoothly, and even when the new column comes around I don't think it'll ever fully replace this one. Good luck in whatever you get to in the future, and I hope to read your articles again on occasion! Also, you should totally still come on ANNCast for the game shows, the Zac/Todd/Dave combo is awesome and makes me laugh for hours.
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great columns! You're my favorite games writer this side of Rock Paper Shotgun, and I've sent a bunch of non-anime fan game players here to read your stuff over the years. Hope to see more from you soon; I'll have to start checking kidfenris.com more than once a year!
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see another of my favorite columns here on ANN disappear, but such is life. Thanks for all the games over the years!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great columns over the years. I really appreciated reading about games that get little coverage elsewhere and older games that are seldom talked about anymore. I've even played a few that I wouldn't have otherwise. Also, I always loved the image jokes! If for whatever reason I ever did any kind of web writing I'm totally stealing that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
n that note, Tactics Ogre has plenty to see. The remake ditches the sluggish experience-grinding of the original in favor of a class-progressing system that's better but not without its strange impositions.

The game still essentially has sluggish grinding due to fact the developers couldn't make up their mind with how to balance story enemies and enemies you meet on optional maps.

That aside though I didn't alway agree with you views on games especially when it came to how female characters were portrayed in Senran Kagura and what not. I still enjoyed reading the column (and getting miffed when it wasn't put up for certain weeks). Thanks for the fun, the history, the rollover snark, and the occasional spelling errors.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Mr. Ciolek for the years of entertainment. As the internet seems to be continually disposing of worthwhile written articles about games in favor more and more vapid videos, the column will be missed. Here's hoping its successor can carry on the tradition.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I'll be sad to see this go...X Button was one of my favorite article lines on ANN. Still, I look forward to seeing what you write next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3