• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ Sub.Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah... the ending to this show, in my opinion, is total garbage. And the last scene with his sister... even worse.

i wouldnt necessary say that. sure its definitely not perfect. but its a hell of a lot better than the F91 movie & 0083:Stardust Memory. not to mention char's counterattack which feels way too much like the X-1999 series.

also the last scene with his sister definitely didn't make it worse either. especially compared to oreimo's failed ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
So does anyone know if RightStuf is doing this for all of their Gundam releases? Blu-Ray's I mean. It seems weird that some are getting blu-rays and some aren't. They released Gundam X on DVD only, a series that would probably benefit from an HD remaster more than something as old as Zeta and ZZ. Same goes for G, Wing, Turn A, 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, CCA, and F91. They all have the kind of artwork that would look even better in HD. I've been holding off on buying Gundam X until I know for certain there won't be a Blu-ray release later on down the line. It's one of my favorite series, but I don't wanna double dip.

And judging from a lot of the comments here, I'm getting the impression that ZZ isn't worth picking up. Zeta, Double Zeta, and Victory are the only ones I haven't seen yet.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
So does anyone know if RightStuf is doing this for all of their Gundam releases? Blu-Ray's I mean. It seems weird that some are getting blu-rays and some aren't. They released Gundam X on DVD only, a series that would probably benefit from an HD remaster more than something as old as Zeta and ZZ. Same goes for G, Wing, Turn A, 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, CCA, and F91. They all have the kind of artwork that would look even better in HD. I've been holding off on buying Gundam X until I know for certain there won't be a Blu-ray release later on down the line. It's one of my favorite series, but I don't wanna double dip.

And judging from a lot of the comments here, I'm getting the impression that ZZ isn't worth picking up. Zeta, Double Zeta, and Victory are the only ones I haven't seen yet.

X is a special case because I don't believe it's had an HD release even in Japan yet, so RightStuf has nothing to go on for a BD release.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Watching those X DVDs though, it could really use a remaster. I'm not very well-informed when it comes to film production jargon so I couldn't really explain what's wrong with it but while it's watchable, could really use some touching up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I've been holding off on buying Gundam X until I know for certain there won't be a Blu-ray release later on down the line. It's one of my favorite series, but I don't wanna double dip.

As others have said, there isn't even a Japanese BD for X. Even if they were to put one out in the somewhat near future in Japan, Rightstuff probably won't be releasing it for quite a bit longer with them being the same BD region.

Nyren wrote:

Well, on its own the opinions are probably pretty split. That said, Zeta is widely considered to be one of the best gundam series so you should definitely check that out, and afterwards you might want to give ZZ a go to see exactly how the events of Zeta unfold.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if the timing of the Blu-ray releases in Japan had any influence on the schedule over here, but with 0083 having just come out on BD in Japan this past January and us apparently getting it in early 2017 (only a year!), it doesn't look like it.

So that being the case, I'm sad we somehow still haven't gotten the Turn A Blu-rays. I sure hope that'll happen at some point.
jroa wrote:
Conversely...it would be off-topic to elaborate too much about a different show here, but that event in CG wasn't the result of anyone "writing themselves into a corner" at all (in fact, it does have some prior setup that counters this claim). It's over-the-top and silly, yes, but that's the intended effect for various reasons. Then again, I would argue said series did a better job of balancing silly antics and crazy events with the more interesting contents than ZZ did, because they were both present right from the beginning and thus weren't contradicting any previous expectations. But I digress.

I don't want to derail the topic too far either, but just to be sure we're talking about the same thing...we're both thinking of spoiler[the moment where Lelouch is meeting in private with Princess Cotton Candy and, while describing how his Hypno Hustler powers work, he happens to use the one example that would get the plot moving again right when said powers go coo coo bananas when he could've just as well said "if I told you to gorge yourself on apple pie"], right? Waaaay too convenient, even with any kind of flimsy setup, since it relies so heavily on coincidence to begin with. Even with Code Geass's general ridiculousness up to that point, it's still extremely absurd and lazy.

I mean, with ZZ, the change comes out of nowhere but at least falls back to "Well why wouldn't he *****?" and not an astronomical coincidence - and while it's obviously not a great situation, it's not as bad as...that.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

If you can plow through the first eleven episodes and you don't mind weird camp like Aztec space ninjas, crossdressing, and Judau's duct tape spawning powers then Double Zeta is worth it. See it and Zeta back to back like I did. Cool As for Victory, someone on /m/ claiming to have been at the Right Stuff expo posted a pic that Victory would be released in October and if it's a fake then it's one of the best fakes I've ever seen, especially since both Build Fighters series are now up for preorder at the same time on RS's website on the same months the pic said. Victory itself is the best UC Gundam series and second best entry after SEED Destiny, not only is it hands down the darkest entry, but it is entertaining as hell. Once it does get a US release though, someone is bound to call it sexist when it is more feminist than people give it credit for. Sad
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Victory itself is the best UC Gundam series and second best entry after SEED Destiny

Shocked ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Victory itself is the best UC Gundam series and second best entry after SEED Destiny

If you like it, thats great, but if he is trying to go based on the general consensus then Victory is the worst of UC. Granted I don't think it is uncontested the worst since I think there is a sizable group that would say that is ZZ, but either way you are in a rather small minority that thinks highly of it.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

If you like it, thats great, but if he is trying to go based on the general consensus then Victory is the worst of UC. Granted I don't think it is uncontested the worst since I think there is a sizable group that would say that is ZZ, but either way you are in a rather small minority that thinks highly of it.

Count me as part of that minority, while I don't quite think it's great (yet), it's better than a bunch of Gundam series in my book.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Waaaay too convenient, even with any kind of flimsy setup, since it relies so heavily on coincidence to begin with. Even with Code Geass's general ridiculousness up to that point, it's still extremely absurd and lazy.

We were indeed talking about the same thing here, so I am definitely sure about that. It wasn't a case of the staff rushing to find a way for the story to continue, since they already had a clear idea of how the show would eventually end and that particular scenario wasn't meant to be a part of it. If anything, all they did was create a "red herring" as a feint which would have solved nothing and then they took it away in a tragicomic manner. In other words, it's totally fine to laugh and even go "WTF" at the large coincidence involved. That's not a form of enjoyment reserved for the critics or cynics.

If you read up on the staff behind the show and the exact details of how they worked on it, their priority was entertainment and not realism or plausibility. It would be easy to come up with a more "normal" and possibly boring way out, but that's not what they wanted to do in the first place. Absurd? Yes, but the show itself is full of small and large absurdities. Lazy? I don't think so. There's a number of things earlier in that same episode, plus another element from about half a dozen episodes prior, which does help set it up. Ultimately, it simply doesn't bother me too much because the three episodes immediately following said event and the resulting character interactions were actually pretty great.

Quote:
I mean, with ZZ, the change comes out of nowhere but at least falls back to "Well why wouldn't he *****?" and not an astronomical coincidence - and while it's obviously not a great situation, it's not as bad as...that.

Well, I'll put it this way: I don't have a huge problem with coincidences. They can briefly annoy me, but not in the long run. I mean, if the retroactive appearance of spoiler[Sayla saving the protagonist's sister out of nowhere and we're not told about this until multiple episodes later ] in ZZ isn't another such astronomical coincidence, then I don't know what it is. I didn't like it, but I can get over it.
Lundi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Victory itself is the best UC Gundam series and second best entry after SEED Destiny,

Dang, we must have vastly different tastes. I haven't seen Destiny since 2005, but I remember going from a giddy mess the first time I saw Asuran in his Quattro Bajeena sunglasses to hating it with a passion by the end of its run. The endless recap episodes may have had something to do with that. Glad someone was able to enjoy it!

I do still want to see Victory some day.

On Topic: Still need to see ZZ, but my BD sets are in the mail! Looking forward to it, even if the reception has always been mixed.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Well, I'll put it this way: I don't have a huge problem with coincidences. They can briefly annoy me, but not in the long run. I mean, if the retroactive appearance of spoiler[Sayla saving the protagonist's sister out of nowhere and we're not told about this until multiple episodes later ] in ZZ isn't another such astronomical coincidence, then I don't know what it is. I didn't like it, but I can get over it.

Honestly, no, I don't think it is. She's seen with her, basically as her caretaker, but it's never actually explicitly said that she was the one who rescued her and it seems like that keeps getting assumed simply because she appears with her. (It means how she was saved is not clear, but that's a level of hand-waviness I can buy - and who her caretaker is is clearly fan service, but again, a "why not?" thing) Compared to a scenario that hinges on dumb split second coincidences that could've just as well been set up some other way. Like, if someone was all, "This is a great way of doing it!", Iiiii think they were wrong.

I don't really see how any of that makes the Geass one any better - I don't think it earned that level of hand-waviness - but, whatever, agree to disagree there.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
FYI the title and picture are incorrect as this appears to be a review of part 2 (part 1 review is animenewsnetwork.com/review/mobile-suit-gundam-zz/sub.blu-ray-collection-1/.102865)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2