• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses TOHO's 2016 Shin Godzilla Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Inopethflames wrote:
Is this going to be at all good, or are Japan's live action action movies basically terrible. Cause the only ones I've seen were the two attack on Titan films and they were horrible, especially the second one, and not from the visuals but from how terrible the plot, dialogue, everything else was. And the director of those is one of the main guys on this??

It's being directed by Hideaki Anno, so it has the potential to be amazing.

It's being "chief directed" by Anno, the actual direction was done by the guy who directed Godzilla 1984.

It has the potential to be... our lead character is some guy who'd connected to the government when Godzilla attacks? His costar is some other guy connected to the government and the woman, just to change it up, is connected to the US government.

Ok, if Godzilla had ties as well to the Japanese government, the movie would have the potential to be awesome as it would tie Godzilla to all those boardroom scenes; He belongs there, he just wouldn't fit in the room. For a movie that comes out in about a week, everything's been marketed aggressively except the movie itself. It has something like Godzilla and it has government people watching him, that's all we know.

As far as I can tell- this is what trailers are for, Japan-, it's the most plotless Godzilla movie since Godzilla 2000. Wait, no, that had Orga. So Godzilla 1984 then... wait a minute...

Godzilla 2014 was the 60th anniversary film; as a consolation prize, Shin Godzilla is the 60th anniversary of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, the US version of the film.

The really bad timing and its unintended irony is the only thing I like about the film.

Is Funimation going to treat this like Evangelion- G Version? If they had licensed previous Godzilla films or tried to then I could pretend they cared about the character.

This is shaping up for me to be the opposite of Godzilla 1998 versus Godzilla 2000.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
I was still foolishly clinging to the illusion it could maybe get a wide release since it is fricking Godzilla, but nope. How nice would it have been not to have to drive 10 hours and/or cross a border to see it (I definitely will not)!
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Godzila for President 2016!

One too many mentions of the live-action AoT gives me a bad feeling. Even having Anno involved doesn't make those feelings totally go away.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:
Is this going to be at all good, or are Japan's live action action movies basically terrible.

We dont know, seeing that it's not out and all. But it's a godzilla flick - it'll probably be pretty good.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:
Is this going to be at all good, or are Japan's live action action movies basically terrible

This is absolutely absurd. Japan is a leader in world cinema. Yes a lot of garbage comes out of Japan. But just like in Hollywood if you look beyond the dreck that comprises the vast majority of what the major studios are putting out, there is a ton of quality to be found. In its artistic heyday in the 50s and 60s Japan was putting out some of the best, if not the best movies ever made.
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
i think with these japanese or foreign films it more just depends if you live in a big city or not. i live in a medium area that had attack on titan but ill have to see if theyre getting godzilla. theres always at least one indian film running here and theres not a whole lot of indian people living here, i dont think, but you pretty much need to live in or near a big city to get these funimation usa films.

and i know anno is also doing this, but from my limited info on actually watching live action japanese films, they seem to be a lot more cheesy and maybe not even thought out all that well regarding movie structure. i assume some are great but i dunno.
DaikaijuSokogeki!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
Inopethflames wrote:
Is this going to be at all good, or are Japan's live action action movies basically terrible. Cause the only ones I've seen were the two attack on Titan films and they were horrible, especially the second one, and not from the visuals but from how terrible the plot, dialogue, everything else was. And the director of those is one of the main guys on this??

It's being directed by Hideaki Anno, so it has the potential to be amazing.

It's being "chief directed" by Anno, the actual direction was done by the guy who directed Godzilla 1984.

Sorry, but I had to make an account just to refute this. This was too infuriating to me as a lifelong G-fan to ignore.

What are you talking about? Koji Hashimoto directed Godzilla (1984), and he's been dead for over 10 years....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0368057/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

Also, Hideaki Anno didn't "chief direct" this movie. He co-directed it with Shinji Higuchi. Anno is also the sole writer of the screenplay and personally co-edited it. It is 100% his vision.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4262980/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Seriously, where did you pull that absolutely false information from?
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:
What are you talking about? Koji Hashimoto directed Godzilla (1984), and he's been dead for over 10 years....

Shinji Higuchi did work on "The Return of Godzilla" (Godzilla, 1984) as an uncredited assistant special effects director. Maybe that's were they're getting mixed up.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:

and i know anno is also doing this, but from my limited info on actually watching live action japanese films, they seem to be a lot more cheesy and maybe not even thought out all that well regarding movie structure. i assume some are great but i dunno.

So you're going to judge all of Japanese cinema based off of two Japanese movies. Two Japanese movies that aren't even supposed to be very good. It would be akin to someone watching two Transformers movies and then declaring that all American cinema is cheesy and not well-thought out.
Go check out movies directed by Takashi Miike, Takeshi Kitano, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, or Akira Kurosawa. Hideki Anno himself has received critical acclaim for his live-action films.
A great website to get started is Midnight Eye - they focus on finding and reviewing intelligent, creative, well-made Japanese films. If you're a horror fan especially, there are some damn good Japanese entries to the genre.
Japanese cinema is definitely different than American cinema. That doesn't mean that it's better or worse - it's just different. There are some really amazing Japanese movies out there, and I really hope that you get a chance to discover them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I think a reason they licensed is because they have the new Eva movies. Now, if they could license all the original movies dubbed/subbed for him, I think they will get a lot of G-Man fans.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth, given Godzilla is a badass character, I could see Chris Sabat as G-Man. If Viz picked it up, I see Paul St. Peter using his Kurama voice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
penguintruth, given Godzilla is a badass character, I could see Chris Sabat as G-Man.

I actually want to hear Bryan Massey just doing his Ladd Russo voice as Godzilla. Just Ladd Russo as Godzilla.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2