• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: planetarian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...plesiosaurs which are still found off the coast of Japan occasionally, with very long necks and whale-like fins.

Unless you mean fossils, I'm going to need a source on that that's not the Weekly World News or the Daily Mail and hasn't been debunked. Smile
Well, if I had an archive of articles I suppose you'd say I was a "crazy", intent on misidentifying basking shark remains, but that won't fly to explain these remains found on a beach http://cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/russian-plesiosaur2/ or this http://cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/plesiosaur/ There have been at least two other stories of Japanese fishermen bring up other carcasses that I've seen on the news myself since the 1977 "basking shark", one was not far decomposed and it most definitely was not a shark as there was skin which conformed very well to the body. If I remember correctly, the news story had it that the remains were examined by a Japanese zoologist and was believed to be a plesiosaur, but I haven't found a link to that. The problem with the internet and these sorts of findings is that every journalist knows, as does every HS biology student, that plesiosaurs died millions of years ago, just like the coelacanth which exists only in fossils (check it out), and since one must have been a shark, all others are ignored and buried under the mountain of information.

Even the commenters at Cryptozoology.com, not exactly the most scientific site, don't believe those are plesiosaurs. They say they're both decomposed whales. Heck, in the first one even the photographer says an expert at the marine institute identified it as a whale and that it's not a plesiosaur. His comment is in the original post.

http://cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/sea-serpent-or-plesiosaur-2/#comments
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
planetarian is surely one of the easiest-to-adapt visual novels ever -- the story is short and has no branching or parallel character arcs to wrangle -- but I do like when they're taking the opportunity to better adapt the material to anime. From my memory of playing the VN, the Junker's repair of Jena took much longer and was far slower paced, whereas everything in the anime so far has been packed neatly into an episode's runtime (1: Junker meets Yumeni, 2: he repairs Jena, 3: Yumeni's projection, 4: they try to leave town, 5: …).

Nick's probably right that this isn't a show with a lot of visual variety, but that's not too surprising given the original used a small number of sprites set against a small number of backgrounds. Indeed, I'm quite grateful for when they do take the time to innovate a little, like the Junker imagining in his mind this hair-brained scheme of taking Yumeni with him and doing a traveling planetarium show (something I don't think we actually saw visualized in the VN):

It's cute, it's sweet, and it will probably get both of them killed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
I think in the usual ancient telling of Perseus saving Andromeda, he was wearing winged sandals not riding a winged horse. If I was the head writer for this show, I would want to adhere to the usually told ancient version of a Greek myth and not how the modern era commonly tells it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I would think that they would want to tell the story that involves the constellations in the Perseus family, since it's ya know, a planetarium dealing with stars.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Storm101 wrote:
We've had an 18 minute episode and a 14 minute one. Makes it easier to fit into a busy backlog.

I've come to appreciate that some of the shows I wanted to watch this season are on the brief side, so maybe I can do some catching up. This show isn't very long, Arslan's second season is eight episodes, and they weren't kidding about the "short" in Show by Rock Short.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
I like that Yumemi recognized the Junker's attempt to make her feel better byspoiler[ describing what awaited her "death" as a continuation of her "life" where she would meet those she waited so patiently for so that there is a robot "afterlife" after all but that she said she didn't need a heaven if what he described would happen.] Yes, the sound design was brilliant, down to Yumemi's speech being increasingly punctuated by stretches of silence which would occur with a well-designed digital device. It wasn't your browser folks (though my stream was punctuated with buffering pauses in that sequence). For those who don't recognize the melody, one that played as Yumemi was "dying" was "Everything to God in Prayer". May the wings of memory cards carry you to robot heaven Yumemi. I hope I'll see you there Crying or Very sad
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was a great little show. Everything I want from a sweet tragedy story. Only complaint I have at all, is that it felt like they dragged out spoiler[her slow death a little too long.] After 4 or 5 minutes I started to run out of tears. And for it to go on another few minutes passed that started to get me to the point of just waiting for it to end.

All in all though. 9/10. Met and exceeded any expectations I had for it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I almost skipped Plane'arian because spoilers for it have been around for ages and even if they weren't you pretty much knew how it would end up (this is Key we're talking about). But learning it was going to be short made me decide to watch because I probably wouldn't have been able to stand it if it got dragged out to 12 episodes. I had hard enough time making it through Clannad After Story as it was.

Plane'arian is an effective little story that gets the right amount of feels. And who doesn't like a cute robot girl?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I was somewhat disappointed in the beginning of the episode. I felt that the new electronica BGM that was playing during the fight with the Fiddler Crab was rather unfitting for the scene.

Pretty much everything after the fight concludes was right on point. Seeing and hearing Yumemi's systems freak out and shouting "Mr. Customer, where did you go?" as well as the mentioned "why did everything break" had a big impact despite knowing full-well that they were coming.

A solid and competent adaptation. After 10+ years I'm happy that this small story from Key was finally adapted, and adapted well, so it could reach more people. Looking forward to the Hoshi no Hito movie.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the 5th and final episode.
Overall I agree this series did eventually come about and do very well. spoiler[Even though at the end of the game its hinted that the Junker goes off to his death while being pursued by other robots... that doesn't happen in the anime]

I would give it an 8 out of 10 or better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
For those who don't recognize the melody, one that played as Yumemi was "dying" was "Everything to God in Prayer".

The title is actually "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," which made me go wtf? when it started playing. However, upon learning that in Japan there are two versions with different lyrics, known as "Hoshi no Yo" 星の界 and "Hoshi no Sekai" 星の世界 ("World of Stars"), it makes more sense. At least they didn't use "Amazing Grace," thank Robot God.

Does anyone know if there's a particular significance to choosing Cygnus as the necklace constellation, other than its simplicity?

I really liked the series, and it garnered the appropriate amount of tears from me, with the ending I expected, but in my heart of hearts I wanted him to swap her memory chip into the battle bot, repair it, and then they'd go tromping off into the sunset telling star tales to all and sundry. ;D
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
in my heart of hearts I wanted him to swap her memory chip into the battle bot, repair it, and then they'd go tromping off into the sunset telling star tales to all and sundry. ;D

This, exactly- the whole time with her saying she'd be fine if they could find a new body, I'm thinking "there's a robot body right over there, just short a leg..."

I was really expecting the post-credits scene to be her opening her eyes again, to see the Junker looking back at her, 20-something years older...
Ditrih

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a particular significance to choosing Cygnus as the necklace constellation, other than its simplicity?

It's very similar to cross, i think.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
For those who don't recognize the melody, one that played as Yumemi was "dying" was "Everything to God in Prayer".

The title is actually "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," which made me go wtf? when it started playing. However, upon learning that in Japan there are two versions with different lyrics, known as "Hoshi no Yo" 星の界 and "Hoshi no Sekai" 星の世界 ("World of Stars"), it makes more sense.

Thanks for that clarification, as I spent much of the last half of the episode trying to figure out why they chose that particular song. (As someone who was raised as a Methodist, I am very familiar with that one under the "Jesus" title.)

Frankly, I thought the "death scene" ran overly long, but I did like the scene with the Junker's dream and his change of identity at the end. (Of course, I'm also a sucker for "carrying on the legacy" kind of situations.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
"Everything to God in Prayer".

The title is actually "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," ...Does anyone know if there's a particular significance to choosing Cygnus as the necklace constellation, other than its simplicity?... in my heart of hearts I wanted him to swap her memory chip into the battle bot, ...
First, yeah it's just that the title only appears once in the lyrics and "everything to God" and "take it to the Lord" both appear twice so those loop in my head when I think of the lyrics. Second, as Ditrih said, the brightest stars in Cygnus form the Northern Cross possibly being used here as a stand-in for a cross on a necklace worn by many Christians. The brightest star Deneb (called The Judge by ancient Hebrews) figures in the story of QiXi/Tanabata as the marker of the magpie bridge, though if the author was trying for that reference it would be fairly obtuse.

Third, while the thought of a battle-bot Yumemi acting like a Tachikoma is funny indeed (don't be afraid kids...) as an admitted former "Junker" myself I thought he should have taken Yumemi's "body" with him because the only technology capable of restoring her in that world is in that. Potentially, all he would need to do is clean up the "mess" and get a new power source. Then, if he came across another android body, he could use those parts to complete the body.

Also, it occurred to me that the title might be based on a mis-hearing of the word "planetarium" backed up by the thought that the name of one who lives in one would logically be called a "planetarian".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4