• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do they still make them like they used to?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siegdubhy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hah!... I knew I was forgetting something... Sorry for disappearing.
Thanks for all the answers, will have a lot to check out...

Usually I find it very hard to just "give it a chance" when it comes to anime, most often I need at least 4 episodes to judge anime (it gets harder and harder to get this much time for just a trial) and most often I can't even make it to episode 3... So I'm grateful for your recommendations ^^

@Key
You are right about those standard violations, but those are only guidelines for potentially perfect anime for me (then again something that fits it completely is probably going to be dull)

@DuskyPredator
Heck, you are probably right. I am looking for an anime that will make me feel like the ones back in the day... But I'm pretty sure it is not even possible anymore... I'll always be looking through nostalgia glasses...
- .hack - this one I love for the whole execution: brilliant soundtrack first of all, decent story which then branches off and twists into the games and other series (and I may be drawn to the genre itself too)... I tried Sword Art Online - not sure why I didn't enjoy it, I am gonna give it another go probably.
- Evangelion - this one is simply a masterpiece. Everything about it is great. The more times I've watched it the more depth I perceived... (I used to rewatch the whole serie every other weekend for about a year...). Mechas were just a small part of it, I am not a big mecha fan. It is one of a kind so I doubt we'll ever see anything like it.
- SAO and Madoka Magica has Kajiura Yuki's soundtrack? Sold! Very Happy (those two are gonna be first on my list now)

@Cyberd1
Hmm, you might have a point about this originality thing. Gonna be hard to find anything original nowadays (and I don't mean only anime), but as you say, if it is executed well I should be able to enjoy a big fat rehash of my favourites Very Happy

@Alan45 and Errinundra
True - the magic did go away a bit. My beginnings with anime were on TV in Poland... we got some random stuff, usually with italian dubbing and polish voice over (narrator only)... french dubbing for Dragonball (and then dreadful polish translation) - but still it was something special.
Then getting some more anime felt a bit impossible, didn't have internet access, didn't even realize I could order anime from abroad (not that I could afford anything back then)... but we had a guy in my town, he was in his mid 20s back then I think, he was the town otaku, used to organize anime conventions... and possessed an insane anime collection (my current collection is still nothing in comparison).
I remember wiping all my HDDs, visiting him and then having a few weeks worth of awesomeness... his stores were always filtered for quality and we had similar tastes in anime...
Then came the internet and suddenly I had to find stuff on my own, and there was a lot of it (most were disappointing...)

@Animegomaniac
Amen to that. It feels like they are indeed using anime as adverts for anything. There are so many short series that either died from low ratings/audience or were never ment to be complete as anime... First to come to my head is Elfen Lied (loved the manga, would love it even more if it was fully adapted to anime)...
.hack did a great job advertising itself... hell, it kinda turned into a small franchise...

Seems that anime industry suffers just like all the others... quick cash grab at the cost of quality... and as long as there is a market that will accept subpar products it will never change.

So thanks everyone for your replies. I'll check out some of your suggestions and maybe that will get me back on the anime train Very Happy
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Also, we're not getting shows or even adaptations of fully realized concepts, we're mostly getting commercials for mediums we may not even care about, like light novels and mobile games, not the best breeding ground for lasting products. Every now and then, when the stars align, we get a show with a beginning and an ending but it turns out to be Oriemo. Or it could be Toradora. Or Shakugan no Shana. Or Hellsing... I hated the OVA series from the first episode but it has its fans and it is complete...or so I guess, I'm not going to watch the last few episodes to find out as I was already had enough with the first 8. In other words, toss a coin to find out if you'll like the ending you get.

But those are the rarities. If it's a early manga series, ongoing manga series, a one season adaptation of a LN series or based on a non story video game then you can figure out ahead of time that the show will usually bail on you. Even anime original shows are not immune to this because it's hard to make a sequel out of a complete story so companies are better off not doing one.

I apologize in advance for re-sating things you may already know.

You might want to do take steps to evaluate the anime. What is it's origin i.e. Original, LN, Manga or game, the quickest way I found is to use Livechart.me or AniChart. Next I Google the source material to see how many volumes (not chapters) the LN or Manga have, my minimum is 4. Then if it looks interesting watch at least 3 episodes before making a judgment, if you do not want to do that find a reviewer that you can trust. What I looked for was someone who was well versed in the studios, directors, art director,
Original creator, music and past works. The one I found was Glass Reflection who believes that the ending is paramount, there plenty more out there the you just need to find the one you are comfortable with.

I must disagree with you about series created from LN or Manga, I have found many excellent adaptations from those sources and remember even Naruto was a manga long before it was animated. Animation is very expensive and these days the funds are spread way to thin lately. Even though the story is excellent with plenty of source material the best you may get is 24 to 26 episodes but more than likely only get 12 to 13 episodes. Long gone are the days where franchises like Naruto and Bleach can be born. Especially when the pot is made all the more thinner by the (now here is my pet peeve) sub 24 minute genre (stopping myself before I go on a rant).

One Punch Man is an excellent example where even though there is more story and the manga is very popular it was only given only 12 episodes and the hurdles it had to go through just to be made are equal to Deadpools problems.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
^

Fate/Zero, Anohana, Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, Madoka Magica, Kill La Kill, Death Parade, My Hero Academia, Assassination Classroom, One Punch man. You're welcome.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I think wherever you look, in any field it is extremely hard to find a lot of things that would be 10/10 amazing. I think for someone like me- I got into anime around 2004/2005, and with breaks, I came back into it in sort of jumps every few years. That allowed me to I think filter through a lot of crap, just by reading reviews and knowing what to avoid, rather than watching as series came out and then finding out I don't like them.

I do find there are not enough of stuff I really like. not being interested in magical girls, cure girls and boys, not being a big fan of romance and only occasionally going for slice of life and a lot of other popular genres, there is not as many series that I really, really enjoy. Would love to see more things along the lines of Wolf's Rain, something that I would feel so emotionally engrossed in, but I have accepted this type of shows come very, very, extremely rarely and it makes me appreciate it even more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2