• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImperialOverlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Did they decide to cut back on their operating costs or somthing, or are they moving the old out and bringing in the new?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
ImperialOverlord wrote:
Did they decide to cut back on their operating costs or somthing, or are they moving the old out and bringing in the new?

What do you mean? It's obvious since the "merger/chance for ADV to become a monopoly" didn't go through (and that Geneon laid-off all their marketing people) that they had to stop the presses to rebuild their infrastructure. It's just with that little mishap, ceasing all production and distribution means all their licenses are up in the air, too.

I'm sure they'll be back in a year or two once they re-establish themselves. If the theory of them "going Kadokawa" is what they plan on doing, then more power to them. It'll cut costs, but still insure great quality like they've had in past years. The only noticeable difference will be that their titles have an additional brand name on it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of glad Bastard!! could be picked up by someone else, because then the subs will be more accurate. Whether it will be licensed is another story... I'm kind of surprised Nelvana has chosen not to continue CCS with another company, though, especially in light of Tsubasa getting a domestic release.

Zalis: Shoujo's not doing that badly here. In fact, Watase counts for a big chunk of Viz's dough. It's just that it's not the driving force behind the market here anymore.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Zalis: Shoujo's not doing that badly here. In fact, Watase counts for a big chunk of Viz's dough. It's just that it's not the driving force behind the market here anymore.

Yeah, shojo is doing great... for manga. For anime? Not so much.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone think Paranoia Agent will be picked up by another distributer? I'm a -huge- fan of Satoshi Kon, but I've actually never seen it (seen all his films, though) because I don't watch Adult Swim, and I thought 110$ was way too much for a 13-ep series. I would buy it now, but again.... 110 dollars for 13 episodes... Neutral
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If most shoujo was priced as well as other anime titles, it'd probably do better. I mean who really would pay $100 for 1/3 of Marmalade Boy or $200 for FY, when you can get the manga cheaper? Plus it's really hard to tell one cover with a perky schoolgirl from another. They realy should make them stand out more... But I guarantee that when Viz and FUNimation release Ouran Host Club, it's gonna be a comeback for the genre.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
I would buy it now, but again.... 110 dollars for 13 episodes... Neutral

Haha, I don't know where you saw that, but if you don't mind online shopping, then take a look at this. All you have to find is either the starter set or another Vol.1, and you're good to go.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
I seriously doubt any company will pick up anything, especially ADV.

Crying or Very sad

How many titles can actually be called "classics" whose fans are rabid enough to buy multiple copies? Sure, maybe Fushigi Yugi, but it's already been released three times total. The anime market is rather saturated right now and titles don't seem very unique to the American market anymore.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Anyone think Paranoia Agent will be picked up by another distributer? I'm a -huge- fan of Satoshi Kon, but I've actually never seen it (seen all his films, though) because I don't watch Adult Swim, and I thought 110$ was way too much for a 13-ep series. I would buy it now, but again.... 110 dollars for 13 episodes... Neutral
Buy has the box set for $85 and Amazon Marketplace has it starting around $65. Luckily, I picked up the individuals during the last Rightstuf Geneon sale. I recommend you go out of your way to watch it as it's one of best series, animated or otherwise, ever created. And remember, there's always Netflix.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Buy has the box set for $85 and Amazon Marketplace has it starting around $65. Luckily, I picked up the individuals during the last Rightstuf Geneon sale. I recommend you go out of your way to watch it as it's one of best series, animated or otherwise, ever created. And remember, there's always Netflix.

Oh, that's more reasonable. I was just going off of what Amazon was selling it for, I should have looked a little harder.

Actually, Netflix would be a good way for me to preview alot of expensive Geneon series, before buying them... *thinking of Gankutsuou*
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm happy since I was just informed my copy of Fate/Stay Night vol. 6 shipped out today so that's a load off my chest, at least I'll be able to finish that.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Here's what I got:

[...]
Hajime no Ippo (got the whole series from Right Stuf)

*shocked* Shocked

Quote:
suggestions on emergency back up stores to order from would be appreciated, in case I need them. Thanks.

Movies Unlimited and DVD Boxoffice both specialize in having OOP stock. Although keep in mind that word you used "emergency", as you will pay out the ass for stuff. Although every now and then you can find a deal(relative) with the first one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
Here's what I got:

[...]
Hajime no Ippo (got the whole series from Right Stuf)

*shocked* Shocked

Heh heh. Well, despite the shock, it's a damn good series and my 2nd favorite shounen title in all of existence. While I absolutely abhor the name change, Geneon still is the best in my book in terms of presentation, so I thought I'd bite.

Also, all of my titles aside from Zipang Vol.7 have been taken care of now, but thanks anyway Razz.
yuuramfangrl77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big fan of Kyo Kara Maoh. I have All of season one and 6 volumes of Season 2. I was suppose to get dvd 7 of season 2 November 13, then afterward, get the last two volumes, 8 in January and 9 in March of 2008. But Now I'm not so sure. What's the deal?

Are we all praying and believing in our minds that they will come back soon, or at least the dvds that we want will?

Like Hellsing, That series is amazing. Geneon is amazing, but it doesn't help us when they decide to pull a stunt like this.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a stunt. The monopoly merger with ADV fell through because someone, or both, said no. In preparation for the merger, Geneon had already laid off their entire sales and marketing staff. But when the deal was called off, they were screwed because they had no one to put the DVDs out for sale anymore.

The hibernation period is just a temporary setback until they either downsize to strictly licensing or completely rebuilding their marketing division. Fortunately for Hellsing Ultimate fans, that entire series was owned and made in co-production with Geneon in the first place, so all rights (production and distribution) belong to them no matter what.

I'm not sure what the technicalities of their other properties are (i.e. do the licenses expire just because of ceased distribution, putting them up for the highest bidder), but I'm sure this won't be a permanent thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9