• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Metroid's Saddest Birthday Ever

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, The Big O is still my favorite anime.

Well, that's enough to win me over.

It really is a shame about AM2R. Nintendo willingly celebrates their other franchise without too much trouble, but Metroid seems to be left in the cold. It probably don't pull in the same level of sales as Zelda or Mario, but its influence on the gaming industry is undeniable. It deserves something. And when the fans try to step in and do something of their own, it gets hammered down.

I get that this is mostly a Nintendo of America thing, but I still find it baffling that they would feel threatened by something that could be expanding and building up their brand. I understand that it's their right to do this, but it doesn't mean they have to, or at least put some more thought into how it could end up, like how Sega and Capcom have with certain fan projects.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Nice to have you here, Dustin. Kudos for keeping the alt-text, but don't feel obligated to keep them around. If you can't find nice punchlines in there, don't bleed for our sake. Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Maybe one day people will learn you can't make games to IPs you don't own, I mean people can't be this stupid can they?
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Maybe one day people will learn you can't make games to IPs you don't own, I mean people can't be this stupid can they?

How is it any different from fan fiction, fan art, or fan films? People have been using other creators' characters for more than a century!

Personally, I think that such things, especially if they're being shared for free, don't really hurt the brand, but expand it, like free advertising. I just wish corporations would think things through instead of bringing down the hammer just because they can. I recognize the need to protect an IP, but I fail to see how something like AM2R was really causing any problems. This DMCA takedown will do little more than hurt their PR.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Please keep the mouse over text! I've been conditioned to do it automatically so not having it there will make me sad. Nothing wrong with you inheriting something from the previous column, you just have to put a twist on it to make it your own.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
It's a total travesty that Federation Force, a spin-off, was all that Nintendo showed for the 30th Anniversary of Metroid. Nintendo of America's DMCA assault towards the fan-made AM2R has only made the disdain towards Federation Force that much stronger.
nanashi89

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
How about you? And Big O Season 3, please...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Nintendo needs to stop this or they won't have fans left when the NX launch, their almost non-stop corporate tyranny has consequences for their business. Either make a real Metroid game or leave things alone.
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Nintendo needs to stop this or they won't have fans left when the NX launch

Say that to Disney, they are even worse when it comes to (fan)games featuring their characters, or even only their silhouette.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Please keep the mouse over text! I've been conditioned to do it automatically so not having it there will make me sad. Nothing wrong with you inheriting something from the previous column, you just have to put a twist on it to make it your own.

Seconded! It's like a bonus feature.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a nice, new video game feature. It's not exactly like The X Button, but I'm glad the writer is copying the picture text. That's just a great idea that should be reused.

I'll never understand Nintendo's reluctance to outsource their IP. A 2d Metroid game (remake or not) is well within the capabilities of several smaller game developers. Instead you have fans get antsy and trying to make their own fan game followed by Nintendo shutting them down. Nobody wins and nobody is happy.

Quote:
the Wind Waker was the last great Zelda (but not the last good one)

Someone forgot about A Link Between Worlds!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:

I'll never understand Nintendo's reluctance to outsource their IP.

Other M was made by team ninja, not that Nintendo know anymore what to do with Metroid...

It sucks for Metroid, but most of them aged really well and are still perfectly playable today so its not that bad.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Controls not quite as responsive? I found them to be practically perfect. I was single-wall jumping within a minute even though I was bad at just normal wall jumping in Super/Fusion. The game is incredible and has the quality of an official professional product...or maybe even better than that, considering the recent official Metroid games. I also have beaten the original Metroid 2 and this remake does a fantastic job of staying true to the original while adding enough to make it feel like a new game.

Hopefully one day, Nintendo will actually let fans be fans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
How is it any different from fan fiction, fan art, or fan films? People have been using other creators' characters for more than a century!

Which more often than not has led to lawsuits and other legal issues simply because fan related works are tolerated in one case doesn't mean they'll be tolerated in all others.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
has only made the disdain towards Federation Force that much stronger.

It may have made it stronger that doesn't mean it's made it any more legit.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Nintendo needs to stop this or they won't have fans left when the NX launch, their almost non-stop corporate tyranny has consequences for their business. Either make a real Metroid game or leave things alone.

Leaving things alone would mean not making a Metroid game ever again not letting people make fan games at their leisure and without their approval. Lastly I don't think this is going to somehow hurt the NX since this literally has nothing to do with the NX on top of the fact that Metroid is their least valued IP.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:

Because AM2R uses assets from actual Nintendo games, and it's trying to pass itself off as a Metroid game, both of which are a big no-no. Metroidvania indie games are a dime a dozen and also uncreative, but they at least have the decency to use original designs and assets and not blatantly steal sprites from Metroid games. Metroid 2 is also available on the 3DS so it's directly competing in sales. And just because people don't like Federation Force doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Saying Nintendo didn't release the Metroid game this year for the anniversary is just plain wrong. As one of the more hardcore Metroid fans who collects the merchandise and manga that most westerners don't even know about, I couldnt care less about fan games. They're not official so nothing they do actually matters at the end of the day. Any kind of story or lore fan games try to have it's as useless as fanfiction. I didn't like the Prime games so Federation Force doesn't interest me but I would still take that over fan game any day of the week.

Quote:
I understand that it's their right to do this, but it doesn't mean they have to, or at least put some more thought into how it could end up, like how Sega and Capcom have with certain fan projects.

The difference here is unlike Sega, Nintendo doesn't have to rely on fans. Sonic the Hedgehog has been a joke for over a decade. The fact that he still has fans is amazing to me but Sega capitalizing on them is completely different and almost insulting to compare that to Nintendo who is still putting out quality titles and meeting with success. This is the same rhetoric about people wanting Nintendo to go third party like Sega for no good reason. Sega has tried everything to revitalize their brand, and if that now includes pandering to fan game makers it's just one more tactic to add to the pile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4