• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Old Anime To Younger Fans?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
My only recommendation is that, no matter how much you want to, don't push newer anime fans into watching Kill la Kill or Madoka Magica. Those shows are NOT noob friendly
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I think a good idea is making connections between shows they have already watched and what have they been inspired by, or what have they inspired.

For example, if they only watched the Holy Trinity of the Shonen Jump, you can introduce them to works that were highly inspirational of each other, such as Hunter x Hunter, JoJo, Saint Seiya (I'd recommend Lost Canvas for a more modern approach, even though it's sadly unfinished), or an even better Kurumada series: B'T X, Hokuto no Ken movies (not the perfect adaptations but a good introducing point nonetheless). Things like "Hey, do you know where the Ninja Exam idea comes from? Sasuke's long lost blonde brother?" or "Wanna know the most classic punch rushes?"

Medarot (or Medabot) is also a great starting point for mecha, it's funnier, it's faster, it's on a smaller scale and it's overall great. They can go to some Gundam anime, or Evangelion, or similar.

If they watch Gintama which is relatively popular, it's a good introduction for Rurouni Kenshin and like the review says, Sword of the Stranger. The first does have it's own fair share of humour, but if they do like that trope of japanese sword-fighting, those are wonderful examples.

If they have watched stuff like Attack on Titan and are very into action-packed series, and also steampunk feeling, FMA, Ghost in the Shell, or other relatively popular series such as One Punch Man.

A good idea is also to know what they like in movies or other kind of media, perhaps they have watched many more movies than anime, so that's a good point to look at.

Last edited by Valhern on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I am more of a series watcher but starting with self-contained works like movie is a great idea. I would recommend Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart for everyone, the Cowboy Bebop movie for action fans and Akira would work if the audience is cool with violence and grotesque.

I have been making a list of anime series I would recommend based the level of entry.

Begginer: Attack on Titan, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Chaika, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Gargantia, My Hero Academia, Noir, Toradora!, Trigun

Intermediate: Baccano!, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!, Clannad, Code Geass,
Death Note, Durarara!!, Fullmetal Alchemist (both 2003 and Brotherhood), Kill la Kill,
Psycho-Pass, Steins;Gate

Seasoned: Evangelion, From the New World, Gundam, Hanasaku Iroha, Haruhi Suzumiya, K-On!, Lupin III (especially part IV), Madoka Magica, Monogatari, Utena
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Getting to know your audience is definitely the biggest thing.

I have a newish best friend who wasn't super into anime when we first started hanging out (though she was definitely nerdy, enjoying doll painting, cosplay, and other hobbies).

My taste in anime tends to run fantasy genre + feels, fun and shiny action shows, or feel-good fujoshi shows.

When I started showing her some stuff, she wasn't clicking too hard, even with the normal friendly anime like FMA. Then, I showed her Eccentric Family and SHE LOVED IT.

I then rapidly discovered that she loves slice of life above all else, and now she watches as much anime as I do. Watching anime with her has also certainly broadened my horizon with that genre! We now have a running joke:
Me: I have a new anime for you.
Her: Does anything happen in it?
Me: Nope.
Her: I'm gonna love it.
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Movies that come from a particular series can raise the interest of an audience. My interest in Ranma 1/2 came from my watching Big Trouble in Nekonron China. I wanted to know more about all those characters. Most major shows have movies attached to them now. It can open the doors to viewing a series if enough interest is shown in the feature presentation.
aisuru113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Also think about doing theme days. Like Mystery, SciFi, Shoujo, ect... Then see about selecting stuff from several decades. You can get foundation animes like Princess Knight and Rose of Versailles and others now easily.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Summer Wars is considered old anime already? Really? (looks at all his 80's and 90's shows on his shelf). Sigh.
pauladls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Dragon ball z
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that the question is phrased - "how do I introduce them old stuff?", rather than - "how do I get them interested in a wider range of stuff?". The questioner says she isn't trying to force her tastes on them, but to me the way the question was posed (and the supporting material) tells a slightly different tale.

I've introduced people to a variety of things, and trying to lead them to older stuff is something that has to be done carefully because they were written for a different era and under a different set of assumptions as to the audience. Not to mention things that were "current classics" back then don't always stand the test of time. Beware the rose tint that glasses acquire as the years pass.

Don't lock them outside the mainstream of modern fandom. Don't try and recreate your past.

My approach would be to expand their tastes starting with the modern mainstream (say no older than 3-5 years), because... well, they're written and produced for modern audiences (which these students are). Work outwards from there into older and outside the mainstream stuff.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I would first try introducing them to popular shows of a genre (Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc.) Then I'll try throwing in a few shows that are a bit more intense in action or comedy. Lastly, I'll bring up shows that are more focused on wordplay or historical references. As a bonus, I may even trying sneaking in some 1990's OVAs for a good hour of thrills and relaxation. Smile
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Simple answer really show them what you saw first.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I always end up recommending the early Studio Ghibli movies. Or anime made by popular creators who's still known today. (Like by saying you should try Urusei Yatsura and Ranma1/2 because it's by the person that made Inuyasha or by saying you need to try Dr. Slump because it's by the creator of Dragonball and Dragonball Z, or recommending Azumanga Daioh because it was made by the creator of Yotsuba&! and unlike Yotsuba&! it has an anime.)

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am more of a series watcher but starting with self-contained works like movie is a great idea. I would recommend Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart for everyone, the Cowboy Bebop movie for action fans and Akira would work if the audience is cool with violence and grotesque.

I definitely agree with this. I've found movies are definitely a great way to start people off. People don't usually want to commit to a 12+ episode show that is watched over the course of a few weeks. They would rather have a complete story told to them in one sitting so they can get a taste of what this thing is about. Sword of the Stranger and Redline are two that I often recommend, but it does depend on what they are into. Time of Eve is my general recommendation for literally everyone though. I don't really like encouraging people to pirate, and I've found many of my friends are not willing to anyway, so I usually avoid recommending things that I can't either lend to them, or they can't find on a legal service. Preferably Netflix or Hulu, since they are more likely to already have those subscriptions.

I've kind of moved past recommending Ghibli to everyone. I still recommend many of them, but I find it doesn't really prepare people for what anime is. It's kind of its own thing.

Quote:
I have been making a list of anime series I would recommend based the level of entry.

Begginer: Attack on Titan, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Chaika, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Gargantia, My Hero Academia, Noir, Toradora!, Trigun

Intermediate: Baccano!, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!, Clannad, Code Geass,
Death Note, Durarara!!, Fullmetal Alchemist (both 2003 and Brotherhood), Kill la Kill,
Psycho-Pass, Steins;Gate

Seasoned: Evangelion, From the New World, Gundam, Hanasaku Iroha, Haruhi Suzumiya, K-On!, Lupin III (especially part IV), Madoka Magica, Monogatari, Utena

I like all of this. I have long been against recommending things like Sword Art Online, Madoka, or Kill La Kill to newcomers. You might love them, and find nothing wrong with them, but there is a lot of content that would be objectionable, or off-putting to most of the "real-world" people I talk to regularly. Middle school girls in frilly outfits, High School girls wearing a male talking outfit, or little (step)sisters in love with their brothers. For KLK and Madoka, specifically, I doubt you would get all that much out of them if you weren't already familiar with Otaku culture, and the genres that they are deconstructing, and parodying.

Merxamers wrote:
My only recommendation is that, no matter how much you want to, don't push newer anime fans into watching Kill la Kill or Madoka Magica. Those shows are NOT noob friendly

Yep. A lot more shows to add to that list, of course. Anime is full of shows that are self-referential, or deconstruct established tropes and characters, so it's always important to keep in mind why you are recommending something. I'm often tempted to recommend Monogatari to my brother, who is a film enthusiast, because of the fascinating direction, but that is just one aspect of the show. If you aren't familiar with how those character archetypes typically behave, and what a harem is, you will probably miss out on a lot.

Last edited by relyat08 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Simple answer really show them what you saw first.

Simpler answer: NO. Do not.
Use it as a guideline, for identifying other titles they may not have heard of, but also be aware this might be a good time to clean out your own cultural attic.

DerekL1963 wrote:
It's interesting that the question is phrased - "how do I introduce them old stuff?", rather than - "how do I get them interested in a wider range of stuff?". The questioner says she isn't trying to force her tastes on them, but to me the way the question was posed (and the supporting material) tells a slightly different tale.

I've introduced people to a variety of things, and trying to lead them to older stuff is something that has to be done carefully because they were written for a different era and under a different set of assumptions as to the audience. Not to mention things that were "current classics" back then don't always stand the test of time. Beware the rose tint that glasses acquire as the years pass.
Don't lock them outside the mainstream of modern fandom. Don't try and recreate your past.

I can remember the early 90's club days when we would get attached to anything because there was less to get attached to and more need to attach over it, and there can be a bit of rose-tinting as to what's universal enough to still hook fans twenty years later and what isn't--
Dirty Pair, Lupin III, Ranma 1/2, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon: Classic all have demonstrably enough "universal" genre appeal to new fans because they were such definitive examples of a genre that other series followed, but that doesn't mean new fans will have the same "oo!" reaction to Eva, Trigun, Fushigi Yugi, Samurai Pizza Cats or Excel Saga that we all had back when were trying to make a subculture out of the novelty of them.
Oh, and they're all on streaming now, you can stop trying to recommend whatever's playing for free on Cartoon Network, as that ironically now seems to be the problem. Wink

(I may be showing my age by recommending Dirty Pair and Lupin III v2, but I remember when they had instant hooking power even with mainstream folks expecting Violent Tentacle Pokemon cartoons.
As for "old" titles, though, those are the two that get the most instant Millennial complaints of "Eww, the animation looks so 80's!")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8