• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranma 1/2 S4 + 5 LE BDs.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the Ranma BDs to drop in price, but seasons 4 and 5 limited editions are now apparently out of print before 2 and 3 even ran out, which I find odd. So I'm biting the bullet, now, and buying the LEs for 2, 3, 6, and 7 from Amazon using some Amazon points I have.

But I have some questions:

1) Why are the LEs for 4 and 5 so hard to find, now? Did Viz just not make a lot of them? And does anyone know where I can get them without paying OOP auction prices.

2) Not related to Ranma, but to Right Stuf and Viz; I keep waiting for RS to have a Viz sale that includes video media, but it's only ever manga, now. Did they change the policy on Viz sales to be just manga, or am I just missing a particular sale? 'Cause I really wanna' get that Death Note Omega Edition BD, too, but am waiting for a price drop.

Thanks in advance.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
I can't remember there being a Viz non-manga sale in as long as I can remember. I just lucked out on some other sale that included them to get my... Gargantia, I think it was?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I keep waiting for RS to have a Viz sale that includes video media, but it's only ever manga, now. Did they change the policy on Viz sales to be just manga, or am I just missing a particular sale?

I am not certain but I think that there has not been a sale on Viz anime since Warner Home Video took over the distribution about seven years ago. Apparently the terms for the sales are set by the distributor, rather than the publisher.

To compensate for this Right Stuf does frequently have Viz anime in the weekly specials. Or at least they did. I have not been following the specials as closely as I once did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
f you really willing to "bite the bullet", I'd recommend checking out DeepDiscount as it's where bought my Ranma collection a few months ago when they were having a good Viz sale.

It's too late for the Ranma SE though. Even there
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I keep waiting for RS to have a Viz sale that includes video media, but it's only ever manga, now. Did they change the policy on Viz sales to be just manga, or am I just missing a particular sale?

I am not certain but I think that there has not been a sale on Viz anime since Warner Home Video took over the distribution about seven years ago. Apparently the terms for the sales are set by the distributor, rather than the publisher.

To compensate for this Right Stuf does frequently have Viz anime in the weekly specials. Or at least they did. I have not been following the specials as closely as I once did.

Yes, I've put the Omega edition specifically in the specials several times, although it has been a month or two.

The LEs are going out of print because VIZ released standard editions : http://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=ranma%20standard&order=relevance:asc
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've got one more trick I can use to maybe find those s4 + 5 LEs. If that doesn't work, I'll just hold on to the LEs I have, sell 'em for really exorbitant auction prices down the line, and get either a complete series re-release or just buy the standards.

And thanks for the heads up RightStufTanukiMinion, I will keep an eye out for any future sales on that Death Note Omega set.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
they didn't sell as well as hoped maybe
and they are distributed by warner bros.
so quantity over quality
which is now why we are getting standard editions at a budget price
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
they didn't sell as well as hoped maybe
and they are distributed by warner bros.
so quantity over quality
which is now why we are getting standard editions at a budget price

I heard that they were selling very well. If they weren't selling they wouldn't be sold out so fast. Some of Viz's other Limited Edition sets like K are still available for purchase and they have been around for much longer. One time Amazon Canada was selling K's boxset for just $15.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't work like that in today's market

if the prior version of the limited edition don't sell well
then they will print less copies of the next time

as you can see, Aniplex just released a second print run of the Fate bluray box set
because the first one sold well
NISA does this all the time too, then they release their budget standard versions

warner bros, does reprint videos as needed
K has been reprinted more than once
but you are correct, it did not seem to sell great in canada

VIZ is now taking care of their own business, I dont know if warner bros. had a hand in distributing the last few seasons of Ranma 1/2 or not.
it is possible VIZ is having production or distribution issues.
they may have plans to release more copies, who knows

I can tell you as a fact, season 1 and 2 limited editions were available widely for a long time and had a price drop more than once, it did not sell out fast by any means
the limited edition seasons afterwards were not around as long, that is for sure
I highly doubt most people only bought season 3,4 and 5 which are probably the worst in the entire series with all the happosai nonsense.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Just an update. I found LEs 4 and 5 on Amazon Canada. Got the last copy of 5, too. Paid about $82 for both Anime catgrin.

Thank you, Canada!

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So, just to prove the further awesomeness of Amazon Canada, here is the evidence.

With (North America) Amazon points, I spent about $54 for LEs 2, 3, 6, and 7, $82 for LEs 4 and 5 (from Canada), and I think about $35 for LE 1 (from Right Stuf). That's $171 for the whole series, roughly $24.42 a season or $1.61 per episode. Not too shabby at all.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1