• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dear Boys Basketball Manga to be Made into Musical

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recca25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
If I remember right, Tite Kubo wrote on the first page of one of the Bleach volumes that he just watched Bleach the musical and that he was so happy. I can't help but chuckle a bit everytime I hear news that some sports or action anime is being made into a musical. Now that I'm hearing about something like this often enough, I'm curious and would like to be able to watch one such musical.

I suppose it is easy to just dismiss this trend as among the many idiosyncracies of Japanese culture which make this culture so interesting. But I think some explanation for the trend should at least be attempted. Here's my attempt:

In the US, TV, movies, and books are popular media; so a popular show in any of these media may be presented using any of these other media; say, a popular book may be made into a movie. I'm thinking that perhaps in Japan, musicals are quite a popular kind of media (moreso than it is in the US now); and that's why it is more common there that a popular show in some media (say TV or manga) will be made into a musical.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I think another reason for the popularity of these musicals is the lack of surface area in Japan. There's not nearly as many places to go to, and most places can be reached by train. Therefore, musicals are much more accessible to everyone, whereas in North America, we have New York as the main hotspot for musicals, and not everyone can travel there.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm just surprised that the manga/anime/what have you was actually popular enough for a musical to be considered. It never seemed to take off (here or Japan) compared to, say, Prince of Tennis.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
OOH sports manga musicals. I love this idea.

Will they do cheesy lighting effects for the ball like they did in Prince of Tennis? ^^
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
this, along with ^that, is just wrong. an anime musical. those two words should never be combined, unless followed by "? what the f***!?" add sports into it and it reaches a whole other level.

I've seen some stuff, and besides anime, the japanese have pretty bad ideas of their own self-produced entertainment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1