• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Was Arslan in the front lines when the cavalry attacked? He started right in the middle right towards the back before the OP, but afterwards he seems to be the very first person to throw himself into the enemy forces. So did all the forces wait until their commander had moved towards the front and the most dangerous position? I don't remember him being an unstoppable fighter.

Also, I thought the girl was the master archer, not Daryun who apparently takes the role of just missing the enemy generals as to make them aware of the attack.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
So...The Sword of Kingmaking has been in this cave on Mt. Doom since that guy in the crypt died I guess, and nobody seems to have known about it, or at least where it was all this time, and yet Hermes/Hilmes, Gieve, and the religious fanatics all show up there at the same time to claim it. Ok...

Speaking of Hermes/Hilmes, don't tell me they had another run-in with the author about names again. Can't they get approval of the romanizations before they start?

Oh, and I don't care how rusty your chains get, if you're shackled to the wall deprived of exercise, good food and your steroid supply for six months or however long it's been, you ain't breakin' nothin' but flop sweat.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I kinda feel like I've wasted 20+ episodes of the show with the 'King of Steel-chain breaking with soup and urine roidal arms' turning up and disposing Arslan of everything. "Build me an Army, worthy of my ****ness!" What a twonk!

So I guess this is where the pirate ships in the OP are going to appear. It's kind of like Game of Thrones without the Dragons and the ability to say "Dracarys!" when you fancy it.

Did i also witness Arslan's horse jump 20ft in the air? Oh and Tús with the 'Play of the Game' Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Might have just been the source I had, but I found the voices to be so quiet that I could barely hear over the music, and then there were the sound effects that felt even louder, this made the episode really hard to watch.

And I still don't understand how it can legitimise Arslan going into the front lines.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:

Good episode, loved the way that Narsus used his strategy in such a clever way. GG Turans.

Also glad to see Gieve return to Arslan's side. He's very much needed tbh no matter where he is. The ending sort of worries me a bit about Arslan's task though ...as it's considered an act of exile. But seriously, nice to see Gieve rejoin Arslan and the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote
@ DP: I had the same problem. Usually I run into this on Funimation's disks, but not so much on the streams, and never this bad. Thank goodness for subtitles.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:

Ah Silver Mask/Hilmes' background story...
Good stuff and it's interesting to see a somewhat gentle personality coming from him. For some reason, I just find him to be such an interesting character.

I think it was rather predictable that Daryun and the others would stand by Arslan's side rather than obeying the King's orders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
"I am your father's elder sister's husband's cousin's son."

"Then what does that make us?"

"ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:

That was well...interesting.

Arslan made some new allies while also learns about what sea is like during his journey. Also, I think it's interesting that they introduced Shagad, a friend and probably rival(?) for Narsus. For some reason, I thin Shagad is hiding something from them..

Also from one of the conversations, I suspect that someone in Gilan is secretly feeding info to the pirates judging on their coordination. Good action this week. Daryun is badass as expected.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
All the stories that read so far about Parsians are they were bad at war. They always out number other nations, but lost most of the important wars. Heavily out number alexander's army, they lost.
Mongols wipe Parsians off the face of the earth. And they had 5 to 10 times more militaries than Mongols.

This anime they lost to an inferior army in the few episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also, I think it's interesting that they introduced Shagad, a friend and probably rival(?) for Narsus. For some reason, I thin Shagad is hiding something from them..

Also from one of the conversations, I suspect that someone in Gilan is secretly feeding info to the pirates judging on their coordination. Good action this week. Daryun is badass as expected.

I wonder who could possibly be behind the pirate attacks. Could it be someone who has a lot of contacts with merchants, yet some sort of training, already shown a hidden dark side of having changed from a kind outlook to one more cold with promises of being able to take over the world? Rolling Eyes

It is definitely Narsus' friend, I would be surprised if it is not.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ah, Shagad...the shady character that operates behind the scenes. He should of never been trusted but I hope Narsus knows that soon. (considering his talk with those captured pirates at the end) But yeah, it's pretty much given now that he is in on the scheme.

Daryun and his crew were awesome this week and I have to say that Narsus' plan was brilliant as well. Not going to be easy to reform Gilan but I think they are on the right path.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Damn that episode was rough.

The princess at least got some form of revenge but almost at the cost of her own life. I do think she is quite brave though and I'm not surprised that Hilmes (Silver Mask) came to her recuse considering their past. Glad to see that Etoile still remains very relevant in this series, can't wait to see her meet Arslan again. I also wonder what Shagad is planning...

Only two more episodes left. I really wish this season was a full cour.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Season 2 finale:

Well it was an alright finale, not perfect for some obvious being that there's a lack of continuation with the anime so far.

Still, I did like the focus with Hilmes returning and Arslan making his next move. So yeah, I really wish this season was longer than 8 episodes. If they ever decide to make another season, they could easily pick up from here with the storytelling. Also, is it just me or did the animation quality fall apart this season? I mean, some of the battles were just meh in terms of quality. Still, good season overall imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8 (finale)

I still not much of a fan of this series. I just in general find it clumsy and feel that other parts just don't make up for it. More than most series I feel like the logical problems like Arslan being in the front lines, just bug me more. Or that as soon as the pirates were introduced it was pretty clear who was behind them, but still felt like we wasted so much time getting to that confrontation. And perhaps it is just personal feelings, but I think that I have never felt quite comfortable with how this show has handled conflict. It just feels like the series has too easily shown any conflict by having men faceless men slaughtered, and treated it like like that this is just normal as a show of which side is stronger at any one time, and the soldiers are just faceless. Some scenes tried to humanise say a wounded soldiers, but it just did not work.

It also kind of felt maybe a bit too aware that it was relying on Daryun being the powerhouse. He was cool and all, but I don't think he is really that interesting other than his fixation on his prince, and that does not feel very creative either.

Some things were fun this season, like say more of that clan, but my main thought was still that they are bandits, and thus to really feel too much for them. The short runtime with how it ended with a "lets go to war", also kind of make it feel that overall it was just weaker than the first season. I give a rating of So-so (5/10). I would like to see where the series has been building up to, from the very beginning it has all been "and he will be king", but I am also of the mind that not continuing would mean I would not have to watch anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13