• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good ending to this mini-arc. Though I'd think it'd take more than that to knock such a huge tree down.

On another note, I just caught up with Re:Petit

Haha, oh Emillia, you have no idea! Outside of the usual Kancolle and Touhou stuff, Rem is the queen of C90!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

A very emotionally charged episode, and indeed Subaru kind of earned his hero role, even if it was not alone. Rem being taken out of the fight and him having to convince her to stay and rest, felt like a direct echo of his own situation where he was told to rest and he did not listen, which hopefully means that he has grown in terms of that. But by his anger at the knight guy who is coming along, he has not grown fully.

I was actually thinking that Subaru's trick would be that he would spill everything to the whale and have it die instead by the curse. But I guess crushing it under the tree is fine too. It was pretty cool, like also that moment when Crusch riled the forces up by showing that Subaru had not given up yet.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

So we have Julius and Subaru start to make up at least a little bit. Subaru did the jynxing of how well it was going so far. But it was interesting to see how the power gets transferred between the archbishops in a way. I think he can switch to any of his followers once he is killed since he was looking for his gospel that was missing and wondering if Subaru took it.

I'm not sure what's going on with that ending seen with Ram as Subaru was going up to Julius.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Going around the web (outside ANN), it amuses me how many viewers are now fans of Juli. He's the exact same character, doesn't act any different than he did when he first appeared, and now all these " I've always liked Julis" suddenly appear. From the same folks who previously claimed to hate him for putting Subaru in his place. Just goes to show, I suppose...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
I am indifferent when it comes to Julis, it makes sense that "even HE would have to show token respect for a guy that rallied a group to take down the White Whale", other than butting heads with Subaru he has far from had time to be taken as an actual character by this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

I really came to kind of like the over the top crazy persona of Betelgeuse, not that I wasn't happy to see him cut down, but there feels like a certain level of fun to the character. Subaru was showing his meta awareness by totally wanting to make sure that he was actually dead, aware that such a character in stories can often be revealed to come back. And really it felt like a cherry on the top of Betelgeuse's character when his personality had seemed to be transported into one of the fingers, an almost plain looking girl, which just made what makes Betelgeuse Betelgeuse, more highlighted.

There seemed to be a bunch of hints to story elements, like the pretty much yelling at the audience that Subaru is most likely unknowingly the archbishop of Pride. But the mention of the importance of the gospel in guiding them, and a surprise that Subaru was not in there, leads me to believe that it indeed has some sort of premonition like aspects written in the book, or back on the theories of a big time loop, like the one about Emilia possibly being the younger witch. Subaru was not included

It was an interesting moment when Subaru faced that some of the people he brought got killed when his guard was down. It might not seem like a big thing compared to everything he has been through, like the amount of times he has seen the village left slaughtered, but it was something. Wilhelm's talk with him over it like they are similar people, was a nice follow up.

But what does the end mean? I was totally confused what Ram is doing, but I imagine it could be several things. The crazy theory in my head is that she might be working under Roswaal, and that this might be the first real hint of a nefarious plan by him. Anyway, we have kind of lacked much of Ram outside of the shorts, so I think it would be good to see her again just to remind us the differences between the sisters.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

Man this episode. A lot of stuff happened. Okay so the Ram thing was because of the way the politics and such work basically with the letters.

Got confirmation that basically Sloth just jumps between all of his fingers. I think the gospel having it / reading it is what makes it to where you are able to get controlled by him. Thus why Subaru was able to get taken over at the end of the episode.

I had to check again to confirm just how many episodes are left if this was a 24 or 25 series. It's 25, so we got 2 episode. It cut right before the blow happened but with Emilia turning around and looking as it was happening makes it seem like it potentially did.

My wondering now is how far back Subaru's revival is going to now. For it to work out to not be able to get possessed would have to be before he took and read the gospel. So I think it might be when Julius joined the party that night when they were camping. But also that one finger that he lured away so he could kill was because he had the gospel. Also with the knowledge he would have of fingers and cult hiding in the caravan they might be able to take care of it instead before reaching the village. Let's see how this goes in two episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
What the Felix! My brain trembles from that ending. Although I am sure that Return by Death will play some part, although I wonder if there are going to be any strange side effects from this.

I have to repeat what I said last week, in that I really like Betelgeuse's character, with him/her/it appearing in so many bodies, it was really cool seeing the essence of that character beyond just one person's performance.

I am really enjoying Re:Zero, it does feel like there are a bunch of elements that would be interesting to focus on. For example, when the cultist exploded we see Felix later commenting that he could not regrow clothes, which really makes one wonder in what shape did he end up in, and how the process of him looking back in top shape worked out. I will make a confession, I don't care about what he might have in his pants, Felix is super cute, and also cool. In general I just have to think about how I disliked a number of characters back when they were introduced. Like I had complaints that Crusch, Anastacia, and Julius were too easily unlikable, while the likes of Felix, Wilhelm were a bit too 2 dimensional with being cat eared trap and gentlemanly butler. These characters are all pretty cool, and actually pretty badass, and it is kind of in the absence of having a main character that would fill that role. Emilia even shows that she is pretty strong Subaru underestimated how strong she is.

Uh, this series keeps me in anticipation of how it might go next. My brain trembles, for the next episode. Oh, and was the fact that Ram got a blank letter mean that someone sabotaged it?
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
That is one possibility for the blank letter. The other is that whomever wrote the letter was hit by the whale's fog and was erased.

There is one problem with that solution: To be accepted at the mansion, the letter would have to have been written by someone important: Subaru, Rem, or Crusch. Of course, we know Subaru was alive when the blank letter was delivered, and we saw Rem and Crusch alive. This solution is only possible if the white whale is somehow still alive--or had a last gasp of strength.

Time to fear for Rem's safety?
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
It feels great to be caught up! I ate this series up! It's like a combination of Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, and... I dunno! It's just great! From the self-insert main character who feels both realistic and totally compelling in a non-wish-fulfillment way, the cast of female characters who aren't just there to worship and love him (the only two who love him feel that way for realistic and understandable reasons), the gripping tragedy, the excellent mix of hope and despair... the technical aspects, the voice acting... it's all excellent! I was starting to think anime was falling into another dark age, but this one proved me DEAD wrong!

Where to begin? Subaru is one of my favorite protagonists of this decade! He's funny! Witty! Never gives up (even if he might need to let out some tears or stress now and then)! Loyal! And above all, he's determined! That's the sort of thing I want out of my protagonists. I want them to struggle and pull through! I hate when my heroes just go through everything easily but pretend it's stressful (like Kirito or Yukiteru). Subaru is a test of and testament to the human spirit and what willpower can make a person capable of! I love when things seem to get increasingly more impossible, but the heroes never give in. Some of the show's most beautiful moments are when Subaru feels hopeless, but gets his determination from one of his friends. I'm looking at you, Rem!

My only complaint is that his attachment to Emilia is a little forced. I mean, I understand the meta-reason for rejecting Rem. It's the same reason Emilia rejected Subaru. She thought Subaru was doing nice things in order to make himself entitled to her. You can't just confess your love to someone and expect them to be interested, but still, I felt Rem had better chemistry with Subaru. And her entire speech about loving everything about him and wanting to grow old with him was not only the most adorable thing I've seen since Anohana, but it was the most emotional I've gotten watching anime since I watched Fate/Zero way back.

This is a brilliant setup! I hate to use the term "Deconstruction" instead of something better, but if I need to use it here, this show is a great deconstruction of "self-insert fantasy" specifically the "Stuck in a Fantasy Realm" genre. Yeah, nerds. This is what you'd get if you were really transported into a realm and made to be its hero. You'd be killed almost instantly. You want the video game appeal? You wanna respawn? Well you got it!

And yet, despite all its darkness, it's never doing it just to be an edgy gore fest. It's showing us tragedy with characters who fight against it. We want a happy ending for all of them. Sadly, this is based off an ongoing novel series, so I fear we won't see the ending for a while. BUT IF WE DON'T GET A SEASON TWO, I'LL BE ONE ANGRY ANIME FAN!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I was starting to think anime was falling into another dark age, but this one proved me DEAD wrong!!

I see it as a cycle in anime medium, that just when you think there is a rut, someone does a show that does something really good.

louis6578 wrote:
This is a brilliant setup! I hate to use the term "Deconstruction" instead of something better, but if I need to use it here, this show is a great deconstruction of "self-insert fantasy" specifically the "Stuck in a Fantasy Realm" genre. Yeah, nerds. This is what you'd get if you were really transported into a realm and made to be its hero. You'd be killed almost instantly. You want the video game appeal? You wanna respawn? Well you got it!

Are you familiar with Konosuba? I mention it because it also deconstructs the genre, but in a completely different way. But it was also a topic by the YouTuber Mother's Basement, where he talked about what both shows did, and about how their OPs represented their different philosophies, which is the type of thing he does in his videos, so you should check out the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDQcqNMflpI
You might find it interesting.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I feel comfortable saying that every part of this episode felt very cheesy. Very anime. The hamfisted resolution between Emilia (who is still not a character I care about. Please, change that soon Rezero. Literally, all the character are more interesting than she is, and she's the main girl! All she has going for her is " you think she's the witch??") and the village. The way Emilia didn't recognize Subaru ( which the episode tries to justify with a spell. Nope. Do better in the future) was on Clark Kent level.

The very elongated confrontation between Subaru and Beetlejuice, which has lost all sense of mortality, since Beetle has been killed various times already. Everything from the worn out dialogue to Beetle flying while taking a dump had me thinking "What the hell am I watching here?" And then the episode ends with an long conversation in the middle of a fight between Subaru and Julis, which we've heard like 4 times in the last 2 episodes? They could have said a lot more, with a lot less. But, hey, I admit that anime has never been a place to look for subtlety.

All in all, this episode needed to happen, but it was made in a way that felt like the opposite was true.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24
Treeborn wrote:
Well, I feel comfortable saying that every part of this episode felt very cheesy.

And I loved every minute of it. But then I've always perceived this series 180° from the majority, so I'm used to it.

I didn't remember about Emilia wearing the Cloak of Concealment before (did that happen?), but the question still remains how Subaru got it. He said he didn't steal it, so how did he get it? Not sure I believe him. :coughFlowersofEvilcough:

Btw, if Betty's not allowed to leave the mansion, how did she get on the cliff before Subaru threw himself off?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I didn't remember about Emilia wearing the Cloak of Concealment before (did that happen?). . .

Took me a while to track that scene down, but it was at the very beginning of episode 12. That it was a Cloak of Identity Concealment was never specified or even really hinted at, which is why it's a detail that escaped notice.

Quote:
but the question still remains how Subaru got it. He said he didn't steal it, so how did he get it? Not sure I believe him. :coughFlowersofEvilcough:

It could have been supplied by Ram, since she did have peaceful contact with him before he got to the mansion. But yeah, I'm also a little suspicious on that.

Quote:
Btw, if Betty's not allowed to leave the mansion, how did she get on the cliff before Subaru threw himself off?

I wondered about that, too, but my assumption is that by "mansion" they really mean "mansion grounds."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And I loved every minute of it. But then I've always perceived this series 180° from the majority, so I'm used to it.

Well, seeing as how this episode got an A-, guess this time is an exception. I mean, I like this series too. But I don't let my appreciation of a series keep me from noting it's flaws :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 24