• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you still collect anime BDs/DVDs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Key Wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I'd probably feel differently, too, if I moved more often

Possibly, but maybe not. I've moved seven times since I got out of college, though not since I got into anime. During that time I was collecting hard back books, still do to some extent. There is nothing quite like moving a few dozen boxes of books, especially if you are doing the lifting and carrying yourself. Never in that time did I question the need to keep the books and continue to obtain others. I expect that it depends on the individual and the nature of what you are moving.

Actually even a large library of anime on disk should be easy to pack and move. Compared to a box of books a box of DVDs or Blurays in cases would be very light. Manga not so much, but at least it packs nicely.

Unfortunately from the viewpoint of moving my wife and I have been in the same location for what will be thirty years in August. We have both been collectors during the whole time. We currently intend to let our executors handle the next move.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Unfortunately from the viewpoint of moving my wife and I have been in the same location for what will be thirty years in August. We have both been collectors during the whole time. We currently intend to let our executors handle the next move.

Mind putting some of us in your will lol? I wouldn't mind taking a chunk of that collection when you finally decide you'd rather sit on a cloud and watch us be idiots down here. Wink
Freelance_Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I buy more than ever, because I'm more financially stable, and I don't expect to move every one to two years, for the first time in my life.
Also, full series on blu-ray are now comparably priced to the single-disc DVD installments of earlier days.
Plus, there's a lot more high-mileage ecchi nowadays.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Tecnically yes. I explain, I like to buy anime movies only, not box set of tv anime series. I only have one, the fisr 26 episodes of Futari wa precure (the fisrst one with Black and White). Most of my collection are movies from studio Ghibli.
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I just like collecting stuff.

Same here. But I think for me it's a bit of an OCD thing. If I start buying something, then I have to complete the collection. One example is the Dirty Pair anime. Once I decided I wanted the TV series, I had to get everything I could lay my hands on - TV, movies, OVA, even the reboot Dirty Pair Flash. Another example is the Strike Witches set. I have the two seasons of the TV series on BD/DVD, and I found the Strike Witches Movie and the 3-part Operation Victory Arrow set on streaming. But now I find myself itching for the Movie to hit DVD, and hoping that Operation Victory Arrow will soon follow - even though I've already downloaded both of them. And I'm really jonesing for the new season of Brave Witches to start in October.

I even have a few series that I've bought thinking "oh, that'll be a good one", but I haven't actually watched them yet. It borders on the insane, so I try to be careful about what I buy before I start buying. As such I only have 37 unique titles, but some of them - like Dirty Pair and Ikki Tousen - have several DVDs in the sets. And I'm not even gonna think about starting into any of the shows (like Fairy Tail or One Piece) that have 700+ episodes and counting. If I decide I want to watch one of those, I will definitely be streaming.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
I certainly do! I just purchased the first volume of Macross Delta here in Japan. I found it in a used shop for about $35 instead of the full price of about $80.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
I still buy anime on BluRay, even DVD if need be.

It'll be there when the streaming services start dropping old shows.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
ANN is such an unusual anime site because of the sheer number of collectors here. Trust me, hardly anyone subscribed to MAL's forums buys much of anything.

As for me, I still rely mostly on streaming, but I do buy the occasional show just to encourage the producers and distributors to give us more of the same. For the first six or seven years I watched anime, it was almost entirely via fansubs, and many of my favorite shows (e.g., Bartender, Hyouge Mono, Cross Game) were never released in North America or, like Monster, were badly treated by their licensors. Lately we've seen some unusual decisions to revive shows like Dennou Coil and Mononoke which had lain fallow for years. I've bought, and will continue, to buy a few shows like those every year, but most anime is pretty disposable and not worth the investment. Lately I've purchased SHIROBAKO and Shin Sekai Yori just to indicate my support for those shows. I probably own a couple dozen series that I first watched in fansubs like Noein, Claymore, Baccano!, Seirei no Moribito, NHK ni Youkoso!, Oh! Edo Rocket, and the like.

The fact that I watch everything with subtitles is another reason I don't buy discs.
Anime_Newbie88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I have boughten a few complete sets in the past from places like rightstuf or even ebay but on ebay that was only once when I was like 13 or 14 and needed to get getbackers. Other wise I have not purchased a anime in a while. I used to have a ok sized collection. The dvds took up 4 or 5 walmart bags. So I don't think they where that bad I had a pretty good collection. I had random dbz on dvd and a few dbz seasons I also had both box sets of baki the grappler and gungrave. And a few others even dn angel. I loved the dvds when I was younger but then kind of got out of it. But have been into streaming for so long all I do anymore is stream them. I want to get back into the collecting part of things. But buying online just is not my kind of thing unless I shop in the clearance section of rightstuf or on amazon.com otherwise I shop pawn america in my area and buy random anime dvds for sometimes 1.00 or 2.00 each used. But still need to work on my dvd collection again.

But when you can pay a specific amount for a monthly service to watch several different anime shows and episodes a day why pay per dvd. That's why I like to buy complete collections on sale or buy them used from pawn shops. I never really worry about condition all I do is watch them after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2