• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Buzzfeed Japan: International Recognition Kept Pokémon Out Of Olympics Closing Ceremony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
While It is kind of disappointing that Pikachu didn't make an appearance at the closing ceremony he still can (and most likely will) make an appearance at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics so it's all good. Smile
peno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, who has the balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? IT SURE ISN'T A FAT ITALIAN PLUMBER. Not to mention, Pikachu's had like a few different balloons by now, meaning they think its worth paying for again and again.

Japan doesn't have to sell itself to Brazil, but the whole world. Maybe they chose the few that would be more recognizable there, but from here on it's an international effort. We're gonna get Cool Japan'd harder than ever. Does anyone even know/remember what the coverage was like for the Nagano games; anything even remotely anime related? Winter 1998 was well before Pokemon even began gaining popularity here, same with Sailor Moon or DBZ because Toonami was barely starting to show those.

Actually, Sailor Moon and DB were already quite popular in many European countries back then, and I think Latin America too Wink
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
There are other countries outside of Japan besides America you know. Plenty of which Doraemon is popular in.

Quite true. Stand By Me Doraemon was already a hit movie in Japan but it made even more money in China which is pretty amazing.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/13/stand-by-me-doraemon-earns-total-of-105-billion-yen-in-china
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
At least Pikachu and Friends will perhaps get their chance of appearing at the 2020 Tōkyō Olympics...
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
And here we are, reaching the point where we fight over whether Pokemon or Mario is more representative of Japan, which is a completely subjective matter.

*sighs* I swear the Japanese didn't complain as much as the English-speaking world after the Rio closing ceremony. What a big fat irony.
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
USA is one of the very few places that doesn't know of Doraemon. I remember being surprised as hell when no one in my elementary school knew it.

I don't know the situation now, but as far as I remember, Anime had no negative connotation in India. It wasn't seen as weird since that's all that we had.I think a story where a cat comes from the future to warn a kid that he will end up with a bad life if he doesn't start living responsibility was probably what gained Doraemon approval among the parents(since Parents are always telling us this anyway). I don't remember Spongebob or any other cartoons shown in USA. Instead we had Doraemon, Shin-chan, Perman, DBZ and Power Ranger SPD. The first three were Hindi Dubbed as well so even the non-English learners could watch it.

Tl;Dr: Doraemon was VERY famous in India and I am pretty sure it's huge in Asia and other continents.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
What a load of bullshit. Pokemon is easily as recognisable worldwide as Maria and probably more so - everyone knows Pikachu, and while most should know Mario I wouldn't go as far as to say everyone. Parents who have grown up with their children watching Pokemon are included as well you know.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm deeply disappointed they went with Mario. Clearly, Luigi is the superior choice. Pokemon? What's that?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
It was definitely a disappointment we didn't at least see Pikachu at the closing sequence, but you know who I think got snubbed worse? Sonic the Hedgehog.

Remember, there's the whole Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games video games. Surely when the host nation produces official Olympics video games using two iconic characters front and center, there'd be at least a hint of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3