• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index II BD+DVD [2016-08-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Uh... people... i was referring to Horizon...

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. I think your intentions got buried beneath a pile of nested quotes. Laughing
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Uh... people... i was referring to Horizon...

Sorry. My bad, i was thinking you are talking about Index.
But if i remember in Horizon, the MC have more than 1 girl after him, even if he only have eyes for one girl, but yeah, that is not near harem as IS.

AksaraKishou wrote:

Have you read the The Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village? If not, go check out at least the synopsis. It's my favorite LN. Very Happy

Realy? I like Kazuma Kamachi world construction but the character development is too weak for me. I will try to find and read to see if my opinion change. Thanks for the suggestion.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
wrote:

That's one of the big problems with Kazuma Kamachi. He introduce so many characters but because there is almost zero character development, the story goes in circles and almost don't go anywhere from a character point of view.
Great world construction but zero character development, that's the characteristic of Kazuma Kamachi LN's

Pretty much. Although new testament has currently given character development to Touma, a new foil of Touma, Misaki, and still in the middle of major Misaka development among many others. (Although it's not like he has slowed down on introducing new characters)

Like Aksara mentions with Zashiki, easily Kazama's stronger works in regards to characters. Roughly each novel has a section dedicated to 3 sets of 2 characters that slowly reveal their backstory and change as they solve the usual Kazama magic/science puzzles, with a last section dedicated to how the incidents come together as a whole with all the characters participating. One novel had such a surprise genre shift I was speechless, unblinking staring at the setup he just gave the LN. (Although it was hinted at in an earlier novel I thought it was the usual Kazama jokes)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
wrote:

That's one of the big problems with Kazuma Kamachi. He introduce so many characters but because there is almost zero character development, the story goes in circles and almost don't go anywhere from a character point of view.
Great world construction but zero character development, that's the characteristic of Kazuma Kamachi LN's

Pretty much. Although new testament has currently given character development to Touma, a new foil of Touma, Misaki, and still in the middle of major Misaka development among many others. (Although it's not like he has slowed down on introducing new characters)

It really depends on which characters we're talking about. The cornerstones (Touma, Index and Mikoto) are all but static during Index, and only really kind of change at the end and keep changing during New Testament. However, the side protagonists and assorted characters (Accelerator, Hamazura, Tsuchimikado, Vento, Fianma, etc) get a fair bit of development in their small arcs, imo.
OH&S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Are you kidding? Touma have the one biggest harems in LN History. So many of the volumes have Touma saving a girl and that girl falling for him. Girls are falling left and right. There are so many that sometimes when they reappear, people don't remember where they came from.

There are 40+ LNs in this series now and I can safely say that this statement isn't accurate. .........or it is, but it depends. There certainly are a lot of girls in this series that Kamijou interacts with, and there is a bit of an inside fandom joke as to the size of his 'harem' but in reality this isn't the case.

This might be a bit of misconception due to the heavier harem elements in the first two anime series but the times when the novels actually act like an honest-to-god harem series is far and few between. I count 3 novels in all of the 16 New Testament novels where this is the case.

Just for the record, by harem series I mean when 3+ girls surround the protagonist.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:
The worst and most regular offender is Touma, but he's hardly the only one, as good guys and bad guys alike are guilty of prattling

uh actually you couldnt be surprised by touma's character since technically all gary stu characters are like that. its more or less the reason why some people dislike SAO's Kirito cause he's just like Touma at times. the difference is that touma only does that when he complains about his rotten luck or in typical male harem lead fashion gets into a "sticky situation" with a girl who have developed a thing for him and the numbers after this arc is climbing. i wouldnt be surprised if Mikoto's mom Mizuru tries to go after him in the future arc let alone his supposed cousin Orihime who was featured in the Angel Fall arc.

I think you're entirely missing the point of what I was saying. I was referring to his tendency to get preachy, not any of that stuff.

exactly. while people tend to dislike him cause of the other stuff, but despises him more cause he gets beyond preachy that it gets beyond annoyance. probably why some people tend to cal him a gary stu character. the only other male character that have that preachy attitude at times though not too much is SAO's Kirito who is also more or less a gary stu character as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
I definitely wouldn't classify Kirito as "preachy" or Touma as a Gary Stu. Sure, he can counter almost anything, but he takes an awful lot of abuse in the process. True Gary Stu characters don't end up hospitalized as much as Touma does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
It really depends on which characters we're talking about. The cornerstones (Touma, Index and Mikoto) are all but static during Index, and only really kind of change at the end and keep changing during New Testament. However, the side protagonists and assorted characters (Accelerator, Hamazura, Tsuchimikado, Vento, Fianma, etc) get a fair bit of development in their small arcs, imo.

Index aside, I don't think Touma is that static. Mikoto definitely went through some things with her realization that she likes Touma and prioritizes him by then betraying the city by stealing a jet to go see him.

OH&S wrote:
There are 40+ LNs in this series now and I can safely say that this statement isn't accurate. .........or it is, but it depends. There certainly are a lot of girls in this series that Kamijou interacts with, and there is a bit of an inside fandom joke as to the size of his 'harem' but in reality this isn't the case.

Most of the girls he interact with flirt a bit or get caught in an embarrassing situation, but that is it and they don't stick around.
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Most of the girls he interact with flirt a bit or get caught in an embarrassing situation, but that is it and they don't stick around.

Exactly. Hence, why it isn't accurate to call it a harem series or say that Kamijou has a harem; can't be a harem if they don't gather in one spot and do the commonly accepted harem things.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I definitely wouldn't classify Kirito as "preachy" or Touma as a Gary Stu. Sure, he can counter almost anything, but he takes an awful lot of abuse in the process. True Gary Stu characters don't end up hospitalized as much as Touma does.

you might have a point about that. the amount of times he had to vist heaven canceler is beyond crazy,especially for the amount of injuries he suffered that would have killed an ordinary person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2