• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comiket 90: Cosplay and More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Wow I'm surprised vault dweller was allowed to walk in with that props, guess that's japan for you!
svines85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Outstanding, thanks a lot for all the great pics Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy looking at cosplay pics, but I wish they were captioned with who they were supposed to be (or the pics numbered and a key provided at the end). Unless a character is so iconic that even with sub-par efforts it can't be mistaken in any context (InuYasha, Lum, Faye Valentine), I usually can't tell no matter how perfect the cosplay is. I just can't seem to transfer the 2D to 3D. Smile

That said, this bunch was very good (Kakashi looked like he'd practically leapt off the screen!), so I did recognize more than I usually do from such collections, but there were still a number I knew I should know, but just couldn't place, and many I wouldn't recognize even with the character name and franchise slapped on them.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wow I'm surprised vault dweller was allowed to walk in with that props, guess that's japan for you!

You're generally prohibited from being in costume "off-site" so everyone pretty much changes into their costumes at the venue. Presumably that cosplayer had all his props in bags prior to arrival. (and its all "open doors" so there's no bag check or anything on arrival, with the massive crowd, THAT would be an absolute nightmare)

I love the My Hero Academia group. Also, when I first looked at the SAO group I thought "why so many Kiritos", but then I realized they have one Asuna and Kirito from EACH arc. (one of them possibly should have done "outside of game" instead just for giggles)

In the game cosplay tho, shouldn't Sagat have a chest scar? Also, I am NOT a Final Fantasy fan, but that's a really good Yuna.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
You're generally prohibited from being in costume "off-site" so everyone pretty much changes into their costumes at the venue.

But where is the fun in that? One of my favourite features of convention days is seeing major railway stations and lines becoming overrun by cosplayers, to the general puzzlement of outsiders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
You're generally prohibited from being in costume "off-site" so everyone pretty much changes into their costumes at the venue.

But where is the fun in that? One of my favourite features of convention days is seeing major railway stations and lines becoming overrun by cosplayers, to the general puzzlement of outsiders.

I didn't make the rules, I'm just passing them along. That said:
-Rules also prohibit lining up "early", but that still happens
-Comiket is in the middle of summer or of the start of Winter, so depending on the season there's plenty of costumes that are no doubt BRUTAL to wear "out of season"
-If there's ONE place in the entire world that ain't gonna be befuddled by anime/game costumes, it's Japan (you'll see PLENTY of girls in costumes promoting maid cafes and other venues just walking down the street ANY day in Akiba and even some other places)
-Anyone that would be put off by costumes has plenty to raise their noses at with VERY large printed anime character bags to carry doujinshi/goods and whatever else people trek out (dolls, pillows, etc.)
-The trains out of Comiket are JAMMED to the gills, so if you're on one and NOT going to/from Comiket, then you're either "wrong place, wrong time" or you've got bigger issues than what 1 person in a hundred is wearing. Wink

Also, anyone cosplaying in "school uniform" CAN technically blend in once they leave.

Last edited by HeeroTX on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
In the game cosplay tho, shouldn't Sagat have a chest scar?

SF1 Sagat didn't have a chest scar, but I doubt the cosplayer was going for that haha.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
You can always count on Comiket cosplays to lookout for long, forgotten series. I mean, Di Gi Charat...who else in this generation cares about that?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The Di Gi Charat cosplayers are a lovely and, perhaps, nostalgic sight. Anime smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
You can always count on Comiket cosplays to lookout for long, forgotten series. I mean, Di Gi Charat...who else in this generation cares about that?

I initially thought that as well, but ... to be fair, Dejiko IS the mascot for "Gamers" stores which still exist in Japan.

https://www.gamers.co.jp/museum/48872/
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I mean, Di Gi Charat...who else in this generation cares about that?

A great but clandestine multitude of us still do, gema!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Got a kick out of the Bomberman character in a Spartan helmet.
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Claps.

Very nice cosplaying from everyone!
bin1127

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
I like the masturbating bear near the end.
S0N G3CK0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Great Pics Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2