• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Sorry, but only users granted special access can reply to posts in this forum."

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I tried to post to the "Answerman - When Did US Anime Publishers Transition from VHS to DVD?" by hitting the "quote"/reply button associated with the following post:

http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4809944#4809944

only to received the following message:

Quote:

Information

Sorry, but only users granted special access can reply to posts in this forum.

This message does not appear when I try to reply to other replies in the same thread.

Can anyone else confirm that they're getting the same bug? I also tried it using the "fast.animenewsnetwork.com" link:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4809944#4809944

and got the same error screen.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
^
I just tried to quote that post and got the same error message.
I am guessing that it is happening because that person's posts are being moderated, but I do not know why that would cause the problem.

Edit (about 6 hours later): I can now quote that post, but it has a different URL. The links in your post no longer work.

So the problem, whatever it was, has been fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
It seems likely that you were replying to a post that was deleted after you hit reply, but before you saved your post.

It is strange though, post 4809944 doesn't exist at all, and we generally don't delete posts. In fact the moderators aren't even able to delete posts, just move them to a "deleted posts" forum.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
It seems likely that you were replying to a post that was deleted after you hit reply, but before you saved your post.

I have had that happen, but I do not think that it is what happened in this case.
I got the same error when trying to quote the same post more than ten minutes after BodaciousSpacePirate reported it here.

Quote:
It is strange though, post 4809944 doesn't exist at all, and we generally don't delete posts.

It is strange, but that post definitely did exist two days ago and now it apparently does not. If it had been moved to the deleted posts forum that would explain why I cannot see it now, but you should be able to see it there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I got the same error when trying to quote the same post more than ten minutes after BodaciousSpacePirate reported it here.

That's normal. If you follow the link anytime after the post is "deleted" or moved to a private forum, you would get that message (the one about needing privileges).

Now however the message is truly deleted, so you get the "does not exist" error.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
@Tempest
I think that I understand what happened, or at least as much as I need to. Smile

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1