• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit bummed that we didn't get to meet Eizen during the Berseria stuff, though I'm hoping there may be more later, considering that spoiler[we'll be meeting his sister soon].

Knowing that Laphicet was Velvet's brother makes me really interested in Berseria, since we know that Laphicet is a party member, as well as spoiler[a Malak]. It may give us more of spoiler[the relationship between Malak and Seraphim], since spoiler[some Seraphim are former humans].

From the game's OP, it seems that at least one of your party members you'll have to fight first, which is nice. I like it when you have to win over people to your cause, instead of them joining you just because (spoiler[not that that really happened in Zesty, it's just that no one's motives were counter to yours]).

I'm really curious about what the missing scenes were, from this week's and last week's (for those who didn't know, the two game OPs were used as filler to lengthen out the episode from the scenes that were only shown at the theatrical screening).

Magilou does interest me, just because a) she appears to not be human (those ears!), and b) she has magic. In Zesty, humans can't use magical artes, only Seraphim can. Likewise, Seraphim can't use Arcane Artes (physical special attacks). Oscar did appear to be using magical artes, but I did catch a line of him calling for Malak, so it could be that he was being supported by his Malak, who weren't visible, allowing for him to use them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Interesting episode this week...

We got a very adventurous feel focusing on Sorey and Mikelo in their own paths.

The action was quick tbh but I think the episode was more about discovery rather than a full out battle after they realize the recent calamities. Really like how the show explores its world as there's so much potential there. As expected, ufotable still maintains a relative high quality for the production of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
*pounds head into desk*

If you're going to change something from the game, don't reference the game's version of events later on! For reference, Mikleo went off on his own in the game because he and Sorey had had a fight, which is the altercation mentioned in the preview skit. (Not marking as spoilers because it was mentioned in the episode)

Although, the scene with Lailah and Mikleo does give a bit more to the game, since you just happened to find him in the ruins with the artifact. It makes more sense that Lailah had told him there was something there, and he went to get it after the argument.

Overall, the episode was interesting. Hyland is way bigger in the anime than the game (Marlind is the ONLY other town in the game, and the Spiritcrest, ruins, and Marlind are all fairly close to Ladylake.

I'm thinking now that they're going to skip spoiler[the Trials]. Even though that's a decent portion of the game, it's not so much story (for the most part) as character development + dungeon, and the character development could be done in another way. Skipping it could also help them get to where I think the best place for the cour-split would be.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
*pounds head into desk*

If you're going to change something from the game, don't reference the game's version of events later on! For reference, Mikleo went off on his own in the game because he and Sorey had had a fight, which is the altercation mentioned in the preview skit. (Not marking as spoilers because it was mentioned in the episode)

Since they just threw it into the episode preview it's hardly a big deal. Or you could look at it as Lailah really stretching for a pun.

Personally I find Sorey freaking out over Mikleo's disappearance, only to calm down and have faith in his husbando to be nicer than a typical "best friends fight then make up" development.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Personally I find Sorey freaking out over Mikleo's disappearance, only to calm down and have faith in his husbando to be nicer than a typical "best friends fight then make up" development.

I'm holding out my opinion on the change until we see it play through. I really liked the character development that came from it in the game (spoiler[Sorey not wanting to force Mikleo into serving the Shepherd, so that he could follow his own dreams, and Mikleo WANTING to serve the Shepherd, because he didn't want to remain powerless]). That could still come when they meet back up, though, which is why I'm holding out on my opinion.

Sorey is WAAAAAAAAY less naive in the anime than he was in the game, though. I wonder how his acting skills will be changed (though I doubt that scene will occur).
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I thought the episode preview overall was pretty weak. I had to watch it twice to get the joke, which I guess was to lampshade it was a bad joke. The only laugh I got was seeing the (presumably next episode's) new girl glide across the background.

Episode itself was infinitely better than the last two for me. I could've gone for a little more atmosphere but nothing felt rushed so I'm satisfied. Sorey's trust in Mikleo and the latter's dedication to the former is sweet and Lailah's at least not annoying.
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah so Mikleo, you really love Sorey huh and Sorey you were never lonely because you've always had Mikleo. I'm getting on this ship now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The big question regarding this adaptation was how they were going to handle the Alisha controversy. It's a bit dishearting that they've apparently chosen to throw out certain developments and just put her on a bus.

Well, I suppose there are other ways to get my fix...

Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Edna made her appearance!

Hmm, so we got another dragon in berserk mode (Edna's bro) although I think this one is even more vicious than the one Velvet encountered. Sorey goes gets his power boost again, felt like deja vu. Pretty intense episode imo. Edna seems like an interesting character especially with the little flashbacks about her already...

I find the chemistry between Edna and Sorey to be amusing for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping we get to more Armitizations soon, because the Armitizations are awesome, and I honestly didn't use Lailah's all that much (Edna's either, because it's harder to use).

If anyone wasn't 100% convinced that Eizen from Berseria is the same Eizen as Edna's brother, well, this episode confirmed it completely.

I'm glad that they left in the stuff with Zavied here (and actually like the way things played out here more than the game), because I thought they'd skip it.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering about the mentioning of Hephsin Yulind in the preview, that's Edna's True Name (or Ancient Name as they're calling it in the subs, I have no problem with that translation, I actually prefer it). In the game, whenever a pact is made, Sorey has to call out the other party's True Name. For reference, Hephsin Yulind means spoiler[Early-Bloomer Edna]
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Edna was quite correct in that preview. Her design is godly.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
If anyone wasn't 100% convinced that Eizen from Berseria is the same Eizen as Edna's brother, well, this episode confirmed it completely.

There were people who weren't sure of that?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
There were people who weren't sure of that?

There was someone called Eizen in those Berseria episodes? Or are you guys talking about the game?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
In the games. Eizen is a main party member in Berseria and that's not really a spoiler since all party members were openly advertised.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
He wasn't in the episodes, but he was clearly seen in the Berseria Opening in Episode 06. There's no mistaking that it's the same guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 18