• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is Anime Midstream?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
B't X at least has something of tiny existing presence over here, with that previous incomplete release and Tokyopop's release of the manga (which I thought they never finished, but apparently they actually did manage to kick out the last volume in 2010). It's not much, but it's more than the coming out of nowhere that Raijin Oh had, so I'm curious to see how well this'll do. Heck, I'll give it a shot.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
btx is, in these countries, "the show that looks like saint seiya".
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise Discotek Media didn't pick up B't X. It seem like a anime that they would pick up.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
btx is, in these countries, "the show that looks like saint seiya".

It's because it's from the same mangaka. I personally prefer it over Saint Seiya. That anime was 2GOLD4ME.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first 14 eps of AM Driver and B'tx on The Anime Network early in it's life. I imagine that's all that got brought over here. They weren't bad, but I didn't ever bother to try to continue watching after it was clear they weren't going to bring it back.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow I didn't realize they were doing that here in St. Louis. I always saw them selling Raijin-Oh at Anime St. Louis but it looked like they were selling bootlegs of the movie. Not trying to make fun of them I guess that's just how it looks like when it's low budget. If I remember correctly they had a "American Idol" type show to pick out a voice actor/actress or 2 to dub Raijin-Oh. I think I'll buy a set of Raijin-Oh now that I know they are local. I'd have volunteered time too if I knew, now I'm busy with work and my family though. Cool to learn though.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I had already written my own peace about the news of this license, but I just wanted to quickly answer a question Justin had at the end of his answer, since I had gotten some answers from Jimmy Taylor via e-mail (I just wanted to thank him for giving B't X another try, but he was happy to clarify some info):

Quote:
did Taylor assemble a new dub team? Will he attempt to finish the old dub with the same cast, since Illumitoon was also based in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Will he be able to release the show quickly enough? And will anyone buy it? Only time will tell!

Taylor is indeed assembling a new dub team (yeah... crazy, I know), but it will feature two actors that were in the original Illumitoon dub; Taylor didn't tell me who, but he did say a cast list should be out "soon".

As for release pace, who knows... I just know that I'll be buying this release up. I may wind up being the "only" person who does buy the B't X anime (especially since I was one of the "eight people" who bought the manga from TokyoPop), but I'll take a well done release (which I'm sure this will be, since Raijin-Oh wound up fine) instead of doing nothing but damning Illumitoon's release to hell.

thenix wrote:
I always saw them selling Raijin-Oh at Anime St. Louis but it looked like they were selling bootlegs of the movie. Not trying to make fun of them I guess that's just how it looks like when it's low budget.

Well, to be fair there was really only so much that any company could do with the LD cover artwork for Raijin-Oh, which is what Anime Midstream used for its DVD covers. When I think "looks like a bootleg, but is actually official" I think of Tai Seng's cover for the Ashita no Joe compilation movie.

Spawn29 wrote:
I'm surprise Discotek Media didn't pick up B't X. It seem like a anime that they would pick up.

Sadly, Discotek Media is done with anything done by Masami Kurumada. The two Saint Seiya movie set DVDs bombed, & the Lost Canvas OVAs bombed just as hard. Being a big Kurumada fan, I had essentially given up all hope of anything Kurumada ever being given a chance again here in North America until the surprise news for B't X.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime Midstream reminds me of the anime clubs of old.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the name, I would've assumed Anime Midstream would be about watching an anime streamed and discovering it starts in the middle somewhere.

Lord Geo wrote:
Well, to be fair there was really only so much that any company could do with the LD cover artwork for Raijin-Oh, which is what Anime Midstream used for its DVD covers. When I think "looks like a bootleg, but is actually official" I think of Tai Seng's cover for the Ashita no Joe compilation movie.

Not enough JPEG compression, too many original graphics effects, and the ones that are there are too well done. Looks close enough to an original release for me.

That being said, if it's on regular printing paper and looks printed using a consumer-grade bubble jet printer, THEN I'll say it looks like a bootleg.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Anime Midstream reminds me of the anime clubs of old.

Hey, at one point, that's how things were done. One word - Studio Ironcat.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-11-03
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Looking at the name, I would've assumed Anime Midstream would be about watching an anime streamed and discovering it starts in the middle somewhere.

Lord Geo wrote:

Not enough JPEG compression, too many original graphics effects, and the ones that are there are too well done. Looks close enough to an original release for me.

That being said, if it's on regular printing paper and looks printed using a consumer-grade bubble jet printer, THEN I'll say it looks like a bootleg.
Just to confirm, it's professional grade.

Getting back on topic, I think using LD covers for Raijin Oh works to its advantage since the artwork is the same vintage as the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1