• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Salarymen Really Read Manga?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
When that whole healthy youth bill thingy happened years ago part of me didn't really see it as that big of a problem. Stuff like Aki Sora or Berserk, which has full on sex scenes, should be restricted to adults only. But I guess the problem lay more in this area, where salarymen wouldn't want to be seen in public reading something with an R-18 label slapped onto it.

Nothing really came out of that bill save for a few cancellations, so I guess these poor overworked joes can enjoy them some Golgo 13 on the train, imaging their boss's face on Golgo's target Laughing
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's unlikely that you'd see a bog-standard tournament fighting or harem romance manga series running in a seinen magazine.

Actually, I was under the impression that harem romance were almost entirely seinen? Of course, I think a lot of the magazines for boys in that age group are a little ambiguous and/or have a lot of crossover appeal, but Shounen Jump titles, for example, all seem the follow the "girls are icky" route by having almost if not all male characters and any romance is limited to blushing girls with crushes on the MC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there are some major, major exceptions. One-Punch Man is seinen manga, as is Prison School, Ghost in the Shell, Planetes, Chobits, Tokyo Ghoul, Mushishi, Monster, Flowers of Evil, xxxHOLiC, Gantz, B Gata H Kei, Elfen Lied, Berserk, Akira and Blame!
That may cause some people to get rather mad. I often hear Tokyo Ghoul criticised as a "Seinen wannabe", so to point out that it actually is a Seinen is not going to go down well.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
there are some major, major exceptions. One-Punch Man is seinen manga, as is Prison School, Ghost in the Shell, Planetes, Chobits, Tokyo Ghoul, Mushishi, Monster, Flowers of Evil, xxxHOLiC, Gantz, B Gata H Kei, Elfen Lied, Berserk, Akira and Blame!
That may cause some people to get rather mad. I often hear Tokyo Ghoul criticised as a "Seinen wannabe", so to point out that it actually is a Seinen is not going to go down well.

If it runs in a seinen magazine, it is seinen, regardless of what "some people" may think...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Many manga are borderline. I guess Tokyo Ghoul could be considered "older shonen" or "younger seinen." Personally, I had never even questioned whether Tokyo Ghoul was seinen.

Anyway, it's in Young Jump, which is the #1 seinen anthology.

-t
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
It's unlikely that you'd see a bog-standard tournament fighting or harem romance manga series running in a seinen magazine.

Actually, I was under the impression that harem romance were almost entirely seinen? Of course, I think a lot of the magazines for boys in that age group are a little ambiguous and/or have a lot of crossover appeal, but Shounen Jump titles, for example, all seem the follow the "girls are icky" route by having almost if not all male characters and any romance is limited to blushing girls with crushes on the MC.

Well, Nisekoi is a Shōnen Jump title, so there are exceptions.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
If it runs in a seinen magazine, it is seinen, regardless of what "some people" may think...
That statement itself has been debated on this forum many times. Many people will point out that some magazines will include titles targeted at other demographics in order to widen the magazine's appeal.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Actually, I was under the impression that harem romance were almost entirely seinen?

Most harem are very borderline. They're geared towards older teens.

Love Hina for example was published in Weekly Shōnen Magazine.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Merida wrote:
That statement itself has been debated on this forum many times. Many people will point out that some magazines will include titles targeted at other demographics in order to widen the magazine's appeal.

Well, i don't really care either way, but those people from MarshalBanana's statement seem to consider "seinen" some kind of quality label which Tokyo Ghoul doesn't deserve in ther opionion and that's rather silly IMHO...
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
IMO based on what gets counted and categorized as seinen, a good catch all range of the age demographic constitutes males between 18 to around early thirties.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Actually, I was under the impression that harem romance were almost entirely seinen

in reality almost all harem romance is shonen.

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Hayate the Combat Butler
Heaven's Lost Property
High School DxD
Highschool of the Dead
Hundred
Is This a Zombie?
Love Hina
Maken-ki!
Rosario + Vampire
So, I Can't Play H!
Strawberry 100%
To Love-Ru Darkness

Just to give some examples. All this are in shonen magazines.

Is reality demography is more about marketing than real age division.
Is more about the themes than to say that this or that is appropriate for that age group.

Unlike anime, manga is everywhere. From kids to older folks, many people read manga. When i was in Japan i say many people reading in public transportation. School boys/girls and salary men/woman.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I remember that the first time I was buying a book in one of Japan's major bookstore chains the clerk pointed at a stack of bland-looking wrapping paper with the store's logo on it and asked me if I wanted the book wrapped. The book already had a jacket (in fact the book in question, the first novel in the Sound! Euphonium series, had two - the original one and one that featured the designs from the anime), so I was puzzled as to why that was necessary and declined, but noted that a lot of other customers were getting the covers of their manga and paperbacks wrapped with the extra paper. Only later did it occur to me that the purpose of those covers may have been not so much to protect the book as to conceal the actual cover, so that, for example, salarymen and housewives could enjoy manga and novels way outside of their demographic in public without attracting unnecessary attention.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, how can this topic come up, with no mention of Salaryman Kintaro?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking much the same thing. To even suggest that there is a broad class into which those titles all fall is not without its controversy. It demonstrates the vast intersection between what typifies the adolescent and young adult audiences, given how some of those titles centrally appeal to both groups, their objectionable content perhaps notwithstanding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
When that whole healthy youth bill thingy happened years ago part of me didn't really see it as that big of a problem. Stuff like Aki Sora or Berserk, which has full on sex scenes, should be restricted to adults only. But I guess the problem lay more in this area, where salarymen wouldn't want to be seen in public reading something with an R-18 label slapped onto it.

Nothing really came out of that bill save for a few cancellations, so I guess these poor overworked joes can enjoy them some Golgo 13 on the train, imaging their boss's face on Golgo's target Laughing

well, they mostly targeted incest and even then the very explicit kind, so even stuff like toloveru got a pass.

Tempest wrote:

Many manga are borderline. I guess Tokyo Ghoul could be considered "older shonen" or "younger seinen." Personally, I had never even questioned whether Tokyo Ghoul was seinen.
-t

just call them baby's first seinen Razz it applies to attack on titan and terraformars amongst others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3