• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
I picked up a copy of each disc of Haibane Renmei. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I had passed that show up forever.

Now to get Paranoia Agent, Lain, and Texhnolyze.

Don't forget the third volume of Ayakashi ~ Samurai Horror Tales. The first two are passable, but the last volume is flat-out the best anime release in R1 this year besides Mushi-shi. It went over so well in Japan that it spawned a spin-off that aired this past summer season, Mononoke, which is unlike anything else in anime.

And I do not exaggerate that last line. There really is nothing else like it in the medium.

Definitely pick Goblin Cat up as its unlikely that any other company will license Ayakashi. No one else besides Geneon has seem dedicated to bringing over horror anime.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mylene wrote:
While putting my anime on new shelves last night, and realizing I have a lot of Geneon stuff, I came across another title that probably will disappear from the R1 market: Cat Soup. Now granted, it's a little shocking that it was even licensed in the first place, but still, it's sad when you realize something is likely not going to be picked up again. Unless there's just a sudden mega-anime-boom again and companies can license anything and still make a profit.

That reminds me, I should probably get around to actually watching Cat Soup one of these days...
That's Central Park Media, not Geneon. CPM isn't exactly the hottest company around right now, but they've managed to exist in a low-output state for a couple of years now.

Bah, sorry about that. It was in amongst a lot of other Geneon titles that started with a "C" when I was putting up my DVDs lat night, and I must have misread. Now I get to feel like an idiot, hurray! Anime hyper
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember that there was to be a Gankutsuou boxset coming sometime in Oct. I'm going to guess its not safe.
Heres my list to buy:

Ah My Goddess
Ai Yori Aoshi
Black Lagoon
CardCaptor Sakura
El Hazard / OVAs
Ergo Proxy
Fate/Stay Night
Gankutsuou: the Count of monte cristo
Gate Keepers/21
Last Exile Boxset
GUN X SWORD <----is it worth it?
Hellsing Box/ Hellsing Ultimate 3
Kyo Kara Maoh S2
Paradise Kiss vol. 3
Requiem from the Darkness
Rozen Maiden
Serial Experiments Lain
Stellvia vol.4-end
Tenchi
X TV
When they Cry

I'm thinking i'll spend a little less than $350.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apologies for that - I just skimmed the list of licenses and didn't look into them too closely.

Don't worry about it it's an easy and understandable mistake to make. I wouldn't have caught it unless I didn't happen to own all but one of the titles in question either.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Don't forget the third volume of Ayakashi ~ Samurai Horror Tales. The first two are passable, but the last volume is flat-out the best anime release in R1 this year besides Mushi-shi. It went over so well in Japan that it spawned a spin-off that aired this past summer season, Mononoke, which is unlike anything else in anime.

And I do not exaggerate that last line. There really is nothing else like it in the medium.

Definitely pick Goblin Cat

Oh my! This has been sitting on my shelf for a little while now. I have seen the first volume but have put off the last two for some other new series I am collecting. I think this will put it back on my to watch soon list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I remember that there was to be a Gankutsuou boxset coming sometime in Oct. I'm going to guess its not safe.
Heres my list to buy:

Ah My Goddess
Ai Yori Aoshi
Black Lagoon
CardCaptor Sakura
El Hazard / OVAs
Ergo Proxy
Fate/Stay Night
Gate Keepers/21
Last Exile Boxset
Kyo Kara Maoh S2
Paradise Kiss vol. 3
Rozen Maiden
Serial Experiments Lain
Stellvia vol.4-end
Tenchi
X TV
When they Cry

Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
Last Exile Boxset
Kyo Kara Maoh S2

I can say with confidence that these are worth buying. Especially Gankutsuou, Last Exile, and Gun X Sword. I loved all of those and I think you will too.

If I can at all persuade you to not buy Ai Yori Aoshi or X/1999, please don't Razz I actually had Ai Yori Aoshi and took it back, and I've deemed X one of the worst animes on the planet. But you've got some good buys on this list^_^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Veggie-Trunks wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Heres my list to buy:

Ah My Goddess
Ai Yori Aoshi
Black Lagoon
CardCaptor Sakura
El Hazard / OVAs
Ergo Proxy
Fate/Stay Night
Gate Keepers/21
Last Exile Boxset
Kyo Kara Maoh S2
Paradise Kiss vol. 3
Rozen Maiden
Serial Experiments Lain
Stellvia vol.4-end
Tenchi
X TV
When they Cry

Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
Last Exile Boxset
Kyo Kara Maoh S2

I can say with confidence that these are worth buying. Especially Gankutsuou, Last Exile, and Gun X Sword. I loved all of those and I think you will too.

If I can at all persuade you to not buy Ai Yori Aoshi or X/1999, please don't Razz I actually had Ai Yori Aoshi and took it back, and I've deemed X one of the worst animes on the planet. But you've got some good buys on this list^_^

I'll probably grab Ai Yori becuase its like $39 for the whole brick at Best Buy. As for X...well. I'm still up in the air. I'm possibly going to Youmacon in less than a month and if I can bargain with the sellers like I did last year I might get a few of these.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
nb: Zipang volume 7. Initially I thought I'd gamble and went into amazon.ca and placed an order for it. After a couple of days I said "The heck with it" and cancelled the item off my order (hence I got a shipping notice for three volumes of Ayakashi). The reason I cancelled was due to the experience I had with volume 2 of Zipang...after not paying attention and noticing three months after the release date that they hadn't shipped it I went and picked it up at a brick and mortar shop. If I don't see hide nor hair of volume 7 by November then I might contemplate completing the series with R2s... That's not saying that I will do that but the thought is tempting.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't buy into what Veggie-Trunks is saying, brittanica. The X TV series is a phenomeonal anime. Between its CLAMP base and Yoshiaki Kawajiri's direction, the TV series is a sweeping drama with truly sympathetic characters on both sides of the conflict. On top of that, its animation is truly Madhouse at their finest.

Now, if Veggie-Trunks has the TV series confused with the horrendously compressed movie directed by Rintaro, then his dislike is perfectly justified. The movie was compressed to the point of being incomprehensible. However, the TV series gives the viewer time to explore and understand the characters and the story, making for a truly amazing - if at times heart-wrenching - series to watch.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Don't buy into what Veggie-Trunks is saying, brittanica. The X TV series is a phenomeonal anime. Between its CLAMP base and Yoshiaki Kawajiri's direction, the TV series is a sweeping drama with truly sympathetic characters on both sides of the conflict. On top of that, its animation is truly Madhouse at their finest.

Now, if Veggie-Trunks has the TV series confused with the horrendously compressed movie directed by Rintaro, then his dislike is perfectly justified. The movie was compressed to the point of being incomprehensible. However, the TV series gives the viewer time to explore and understand the characters and the story, making for a truly amazing - if at times heart-wrenching - series to watch.

I've only seen the movie so I guess thats why i'm confused or not. I hope to be able to grab this one. Anime smile

Forgot to add: Gad Guard and Vandread Part 1 & 2
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

I concur the TV series version is miles above that awful film. I highly suggest checking it out. I saw the film first as well and was determined to avoid the rest of the franchise as well until somebody in my college's anime club put on the series. I was amazed at how much better it was. spoiler[It still has a rather depressing conclusion though, allbeit far less so and way better than the movie's.]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

I must agree with Craeyst and also thank him for supporting the "X" tv series. The difference between the movie and the tv series is just staggering. The animation quality is far superior, the dub is miles ahead of the movie in quality, and the story itself makes sense. The characters are also fleshed out along the 26 episodes where there isn't time for it in the movie. It does carry Clamp's distinct style and some don't like it. Regardless though the series is a monumental step forward past the movie. I was fortunate enought to see the tv series first as opposed to most who see the movie and never give the series a chance, which is a real shame. It's a very moving and dramatic piece and action flows very smoothly. If nothing else rent the first 2 volumes and try it. I guarantee you won't be disapointed.

I'd also disagree with veggie again on Ai Yori Aoshi. I thought the series was very cute and touching. Sometimes the comedy can get in the way but overall it's a very touching series. It also takes the normal romantic comedy plot and changes it a bit. Most times you have the main character coming to terms with their love over the course of the series. Where as in Ai Yori Aoshi they start off from the first disc in love and work throughout the series to come to terms with it and themsevles as they hide their relationship. I thought that slight difference helped the show excel in certain parts and focu more on the character relationships and interactions more because they don't have to spend as much time working on getting the relationship itself going. The side characters also get more play time in this series.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
Great, I have to defend myself now Razz
No, I've not confused anything, I have not even seen the movie of X. Well, I saw a clip and it did make me hate it much more. But I can tell you with confidence that X is the reason I hate CLAMP. I hate CLAMP. I've still managed to get into Tsubasa and I read Chobits before I saw X. X/1999 is right at the bottom of the barrel with Bobobo, Texhnolyze, Key the Metal Idol--->.<

However, I will say that somehow it's managed to become quite popular amongst fans so go ahead and give it a shot if it isn't too much. But don't say I warned you. You'll want to punch babies. Especially with "Episode 0". I mean, wtf?

Wow, I can't believe so many people commented on my comment O.O I really didn't think it'd get that response. It's just my opinion, sorry^^; but nothing in the world would change my mind about X. I've been an avid hater of X for....6 years? Pretty much from the time I really got into anime.

As for Ai Yori Aoshi, I thought it was cute but it was only cute until I realized pretty much not a darn thing had happened the entire series. My favorite episodes were like the first 5, and every episode after that was just....blah. I mean, I only paid $12 for it and I felt like I'd wasted my money. I LOVE romance animes and thought it was such an adorable story...then I saw the whole anime. I'm just saying you might want to think about it before buying it for $39 if I felt like taking it back for $12.

Don't think I just hate anime though! There's a lot of series I like and I think you'll enjoy too^_^:

Getbackers
Saiyuki
Tenjho Tenge
Wolf's Rain
Speed Grapher (18+, NOT a hentai)
Berserk
s-CRY-ed
Trinity Blood
Peacemaker
Fruits Basket
Kino's Journey
King of Bandit Jing
Air Gear (18+, NOT a hentai)
Descendants of Darkness
Howl's Moving Castle
Gungrave
Samurai Champloo

Considering what you've put down to buy, you might already own some of these series^_^ at least try them out, they're very very good! And I was really happy to see someone else who was interested in Last Exile! So far the only person I know who knows and/or likes it is Johnny Yong Bosch when I met him at Metrocon and he played the main character! >.< That's a great series, I was starting to lose hope, lol!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

For some reason one of my local Best Buys went a bit crazy with their stocking and most of the Geneon releases for October were on the shelves (except for RM 4), and I saw several of the Gankutsuou boxes... priced at 119.99, I believe. So the box sets do exist.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, my best buy is the same way o.O
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9