• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - What's NeXt for Nintendo?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As you're reading this I'll be enjoying a lovely sojourn in the Irish countryside, enjoying the view and probably some high-quality beer.

Hope you're having a good time in Ireland. : )

What's NeXt for Nintendo?: Admittedly, I've seen little reason to get a Wii U myself. I've found the 3DS to be far more entertaining. Sure the Wii U does have certain longtime older titles like Demon's Crest and Mega Man X3 that you can play without having to shell out $150 for the original (and super rare) SNES cartridges, but downloading older titles to a new generation console isn't the point of its existence. I just hope that whatever the NX ultimately ends up being, it spells the same success brought on by the Wii and the DS.

Dragon Quest VII: I'm always amazed to hear the main story takes 100+ hours to complete. That's rather interesting, as that's usually the number you hit when you're completing sidequests and grinding for the maximum levels in general. As someone who has only just dipped his feet in the DQ pool with my completion of the iOS Dragon Quest II last year, the promise of a main story being that long intrigues me to the point that I want to jump from II to VII instead of playing III next. XD

Trails of Cold Steel II has my console time occupied and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse will be my portable title to play in due time.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
Does Mandatory Happiness have any relation to Weird Al Yankovic's album Mandatory Fun? Or would that just be Tacky?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I hope the NX sells otherwise Nintendo will be mobile only and gaming as we know it will end.

TGS next week, hopefully Sega will have the Puyo Puyo Chronicle Stage livestreamed on YT or NND. You should see Konami's Stage Schedule, it's like the only thing they can do that's decent at TGS are idol concerts. Well, that's the fate of a universally shamed and beaten to the ground company trying to make a comeback that will never happen.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Personally I've never really been into gimmick so I just hope the next step for Nintendo is that the NX fail and force Nintendo to just go third party and release on PC/other console. Nintendo make good game, no question about that. But when they hide those games behind annoying and pointless special hardware I just don't follow them.

I don't play pokemon go, but I love the fact that it's selling so well so that maybe Nintendo will realize that there sitting on a treasure trove of IP that's going to waste. I mean pokemon itself barely evolved, every game is still pretty much the same and the few time they try to change the formula a bit (say a console pokemon) there so timid about it that it just fail. And the few spin off that people actually fondly remember, like snap, they just refuse to do anything with. I mean the wii U tablet would have worked wonder in a pokemon snap game (one of the few case where they could have justified the gimmick) and they didn't do it.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I laughed way too hard at the alt-text for Valkyrie Drive.

For Nintendo, I think that if the NX fails to garner a large enough audience, Nintendo will put more effort to make games for other companies, such as with Super Mario Run on the iPhone.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/773892802098978817

Valkyrie Drive's been delayed to next month Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I hope the NX sells otherwise Nintendo will be mobile only and gaming as we know it will end.

It didn't end when the 64 sold far less SKU's than the Playstation One, It didn't end when the Gamecube sold less than both the PS2 & Xbox, and it sure well didn't end when the WiiU failed to sell as much as the One & 4.

Quit with the doom and gloom routine.

meiam wrote:
And the few spin off that people actually fondly remember, like snap, they just refuse to do anything with.

Realistically speaking though few people want to play a Pokemon game where you go around taking pictures of Pokemon.......and not much else. A game like that has the potential to become redundant quick and fast which is apparently why they're adding Snap elements to Sun & Moon instead of making a standalone title.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I think this quote sums up my thoughts well on Valkyrie Drive:

"I'd rather masturbate to hentai."

~ Jim [expletive] Sterling son
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
And the Australian government goes for a double ban hammer. Cementing their position next to the PRC, in protecting their populace from themselves.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The Wii U library wasn't perfect (seriously, no exclusive main Zelda title is ridiculous) but it was overall really solid. Smash Bros, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Donkey Kong Country TF, Yoshi's WW, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and Pokken Tournament all ranged from excellent to great in terms of the first-party games.

Also, Platinum made the best third-party games for Wii U for sure but also ZombiU and Fatal Frame 5 were pretty good and I haven't played Xenoblade 2 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE yet but people seem to generally like them. And I would hardly call Yoshi's Wooly World merely "okay" as it's definitely the best Yoshi platformer since the original Yoshi's Island and I'd even give Hyrule Warriors at least a "good" rating (doubt you meant Mario Maker, but even if I hate making things in games like in Minecraft at least MM lets you play everyone else's courses).

Finally, sigh, Japan has Persona 5. The wait is killing me. Though I'm glad at least it's not coming out in November or December as my two jobs escalate due to the holiday season and I don't have much time to play video games during either month. It's why I understand why Final Fantasy XV was delayed but I'm still really upset about it since it means I won't get to sink much time into it until after Christmas.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
The Wii U library wasn't perfect (seriously, no exclusive main Zelda title is ridiculous) but it was overall really solid. Smash Bros, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Donkey Kong Country TF, Yoshi's WW, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and Pokken Tournament all ranged from excellent to great in terms of the first-party games.

Also, Platinum made the best third-party games for Wii U for sure but also ZombiU and Fatal Frame 5 were pretty good and I haven't played Xenoblade 2 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE yet but people seem to generally like them.

Zombie U wasn't exactly well liked.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The alt text for MEIQ: LABYRINTH OF DEATH totally reminded me of the first opening for Tantei Gakuen Q.

MeiQ!? - Meikyuu - MAKE YOU? Anyone remember that? Anime hyper
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Zombie U wasn't exactly well liked.

Yeah, for really silly reasons. "The combat wasn't very varied". "The game was really difficult". Man, that's crazy, it almost sounds like a survival-horror game!

Seriously, ZombiU was pretty good. It wasn't very scary (aside from the orphanage, I raced out of there when things started going nuts) but it was definitely a tense experience. Also it was the one game where the actual touch screen on the Game Pad felt justified. Selecting items on the Game Pad during combat in other games felt clunky since trying to keep your eyes on your TV and the Game Pad's touch screen isn't exactly a smooth experience to say the least. However, with ZombiU it made sense. The game is meant to make combat feel tense and chaotic so feeling nervous as you're quickly looking down at your Game Pad to switch weapons, heal, etc. while not getting bitten in those crucial seconds totally enhanced the experience. While I admire the Wii U's library, Nintendo generally failed at justifying why that expensive Game Pad had to be a thing (as opposed to the Wiimote which generally worked with most of the games that used it) but Ubisoft managed to make the one game that it implemented well.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Here's my obligatory complaint. When can I play FF4 and FF5 on a non-Nintendo system or even steam?!

I guess Australia has it rough. Everyone needs weaponized lesbians in their life even if they don't know it yet.

Persona freakin' 5!...eventually.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Sloppy_Jimbo wrote:
Here's my obligatory complaint. When can I play FF4 and FF5 on a non-Nintendo system or even steam?!

I guess when you get a Wonderswan,PSP/PSVita/PS3,IOS/Android compatible device, or a Windows compatible PC Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2