• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Supernatural anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
I don't have much in this area but I'll try. I'll recommend the following:

Death Note - supernatural insofar as it contains shinigami and the power to end someone else's life in an instant. If you look at it another way though, it might look more like a psychological anime. Yagami Light is bored with his life until a fateful day when he picks up a notebook called Death Note. Apparently, if you write a person's name in the notebook, he will die. Light uses this, along with his natural smarts, to rid the world of evil and create a new world (according to him).

I liked Death Note personally because of the main character, Light. Even if he's one of the most "evil" protagonists I've seen, you can't deny his intelligence and ingenuity. spoiler[He was able to maximize the power of the Death Note(book) more than the shinigami who own them. Using his skills, he slipped past authorities and manage to eliminate (almost) all of his adversaries (the whole plot to kill L is just amazing).] So there.

Kuroshitsuji - this is definitely supernatural, it has demons in it. The anime, set in Victorian England, is about a 12 year old kid acting as the head of a noble family. With him is a very reliable butler. Reliable because he can do anything, and that is anything. The question is, what is a butler of that talent doing with a brat pretending to be a nobleman?

I liked Kuroshitsuji because I haven't seen one quite like it before. I don't know many supernatural anime, so I really do have limited choices. As I am very fond of ridiculously strong protagonists, Sebastian (the butler) is an instant hit to me. spoiler[That he is a demon serving his master in order to eat his soul in the end] is definitely a big plus. The anime is well made, in my opinion; you can really see Ciel (the kid/main protagonist) spoiler[filled with hate and hell bent on revenge to the point of selling his soul for more power.] The anime has an overall dark feel to it, so if you're more of a happy ending type of person, some parts of the anime may not sit well with you.

Nurarihyon no Mago - it has yokai so it is definitely supernatural. Rikuo is part of a clan of yokai; his grandfather is the head of a clan. He has yokai blood in him as well, but only a fourth; as such, he only transforms to yokai form at night. He lives an ordinary human life in the morning, but he is being pressed by his grandfather and by the yokai faithful to him to succeed as head of the Nura yokai clan.

I liked Nurarihyon no Mago because there's always something to like about split personalities. The thing here is he can't control his transformation, not that he can't help it when he changes, but that he can't willingly change. As a human, Rikuo is weak-willed, your average guy. But as a yokai, he's fearful. Again, I love that about protagonists. The anime in a whole is okay. I was really annoyed with one of the villains. But the characters are interesting: spoiler[Rikuo is a yokai but he does not hurt humans, Yuki-Onna is a yokai who takes a human form and constantly fawns over Rikuo, and Yura is a shinigami who strongly believes that yokai are evil yet is friends with Rikuo.] The internal battle of wills in Rikuo is also a interesting (well, it's always interesting to watch characters going crazy about what to do and what to follow).

These are the ones I can think of so far. Naruto et. al. can be considered supernatural because of the element of magic but I don't think that's gonna be accepted here because that's not their main focus.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
sheer lack of different recommendations shows this genre needs work...I guess

Anyway too lazy to look them up remember them all. They exist though. The Encyclopedia is good/ narrows the list considerably and easy to navigate. If you are looking for idk demons and crap, death at every corner, and horror well good luck. Close to non existent.

Hmm supernatural animes have been mainly pg 13....hmmm

Also, surprised no one said Berserk yet lol shame.
Togussa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I would like to suggest a weird super natural show...Chibi Vampire (Karin).

Although I find the the show very girlish, and I hate the dub for the character of Winner, I still like the show a lot.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
So it is now 2016. My question: DId 2014-5 present any good supernatural anime? (Please, no unannotated listing. Thank you.)
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for mysterious fantasy-supernaturals, like the ones below.

Shigofumi
Hell Girl
xxxHOLiC
Rozen Maiden
Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if you'll find this helpful or not, but here is a result of a query in the encyclopedia (mystery & supernatural).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Looks like no one mentioned it, so I'll add my personal favorite, Shiki. It's about vampires who invade a small Japanese village. It's very good but often overlooked. Also, recommend Blood Plus, the series based Blood, the last Vampire.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe no one mentioned this. Guess its underrated enough, I guess.

But I highly, highly, recommend Karas.

Has epic battles, really intriguing mystery, and of course plenty of supernatural elements involving yokai living with humans.

Last edited by Heishi on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I will recommend Princess Resurrection since I just finished watching it for the third time, and it is keeping the Very Good rating that I had given it before.

The species of the title character is a bit of a spoiler, so I will just say that she really is royalty in the monster world.
One of the main female characters is a werewolf and another is a vampire.
They encounter other werewolves and vampires, and also mummies, zombies, a mermaid, a tanuki, a tribe of fish men, and many other monsters and supernatural beings.

The show is episodic, with a new story for each episode, but there is a continuing theme.

Speaking of themes, the encyclopedia says that this show has a harem theme, but that is wrong. You would need to stretch the definition beyond the breaking point to make this a harem. And I say that as somebody who really, really likes harem shows.

Princess Resurrection can also be very funny, but it is not primarily a comedy.
I like the humor, the characters and the stories. They all came together to make some very good entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2