• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Videos for Dragon Ball Z Game, Kodomo no Jikan Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Japanese website for the Kodomo no Jikan (Nymphet) anime series is streaming a commercial (500K or 1M bandwidth) announcing the DVD release, including a limited 20,000-run DVD-Box shipped in a school backpack.

Holy crap! Are they really serious about this? By that, I mean that the 20,000 recipients of this DVD get an actual school backpack. Didn't most of this show's broadcasters decide to back out and not air this show at all? Yikes, talk about adding fuel to the fire. I think the marketing people at Bandai Visual have lost thier minds with this decision. I honestly don't see the general japanese public letting this slide and I'm quite interested in hearing any news that will, most likely, develop from this.

Last edited by Ongaku_no_tenshi on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Regarding KoJikan's packaging... I'm at an absolute loss for words. This goes beyond the loli debate. Two of four networks have pulled it BEFORE it's even aired one episode. It reminds me of that episode regarding the packaging of a lolicon manga anthology with an add-in of preschool-design panties. Adding a real life symbol of something that, at the very MOST, should be a 2D FANTASY, should be considered criminal in and of itself. Promoting this kind of show in this glorified fashion is not only inappropriate but downright perverted.

I want to watch this show, and I want to watch it because despite all the scandal behind it, I've heard there is a very good plot with lots of real drama and emotion. It's things like this, however, that make me think they're going to go in the exact opposite direction and make this more controversial than Moetan.

What the hell happened to you, Japan? Have more respect for yourself.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
An LE in a school backpack. I don't care what you think of the content of the series, that's clever. (Sounds like something Funimation would do but they'd never touch this series.)

Sounds like the company is expecting good DVD sales. Perhaps they are banking on the recent controversy to drive sales up and that's why they're marketing it in such a way as to almost guarantee more controversy. If there is one thing that controversy is good at, it's drawing a crowd.

Considering all the press Kodomo no Jikan keeps getting around here, if it ever were released in the US, it might outsell Naruto. Wink (In case the winking emoticon doesn't make it clear enough, I'm joking. Although sheer curiosity over the whole thing would add to the total sales numbers.)

Ah, I wish I had enough money to blow it on R2's for this one. I could tell my future offspring I was there when the Grand Loli War ragged across the nations.
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
What the hell happened to you, Japan? Have more respect for yourself.

I think most people would agree that this notion is pretty much out of the window if this is allowed to pass nonchalantly without any kind of public backlash.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
ready for your disturbing pedophile next door!!!

hey kid...do you want a candy?
skygtr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

\
"Hey watches/reads Kojika, therefore he is a pedophile."

I love that stuff, maybe you should actually try reading the manga to find it does indeed have a deep plot, and isn't just lolis running around.
Raelanura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, daily Kojika update. At least it's good news this time. I was dreading coming on here to see that the third of four TV stations has dropped it. I wouldn't mind one of those backpack sets. It is a pretty clever idea. I just hope this thread doesn't erupt into yet another stupid debate, but I'm not keeping my hopes up too high. I feel we should just agree to disagree. Humanity's diverse; that's what makes life interesting.

I feel mellow today. ^-^
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
skygtr wrote:
ichido reichan wrote:

\
"Hey watches/reads Kojika, therefore he is a pedophile."

I love that stuff, maybe you should actually try reading the manga to find it does indeed have a deep plot, and isn't just lolis running around.

I think (s)he was mostly commenting on the backpack thing. Which is freaking creepy...
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
People shroud read the manga before judging. I love the manga. its not about Sex and Lolicon stuff. It has a good story. these port of the story that made me cry and this a ton of Funny stuff though out the series.
I world post a link to were you can get the mangas but I don't know if I can.
I 30 chapters in English.
Raelanura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
People shroud read the manga before judging. I love the manga. its not about Sex and Lolicon stuff. It has a good story. these port of the story that made me cry and this a ton of Funny stuff though out the series.
I world post a link to were you can get the mangas but I don't know if I can.
I 30 chapters in English.

We've already established this. People have pointed it out over and over again, but it doesn't make any difference. I agree wholeheartedly, the manga is very well-written and I love it too. There have been so many controversial anime and manga over the years, some just as much as or even more so than Kodomo no Jikan, so I really don't see why everyone's picking on this one in particular. I really don't want to get into another debate though, so I'm not going to start arguing a case in Kojika's favour, as strongly as I believe that Kojika isn't as bad as people make it out to be and as well as I know that I can make my point clear.
Case

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Regarding KoJikan's packaging... I'm at an absolute loss for words.

I don't really want to get knee-deep in a _second_ thread about Kojika...

...But this reaction confuses me. It's a school backpack. An iconic symbol of lolicon in this language, in this country, in this website - but what it is, is a backpack. With a less shrill approach, it could be compared to storing your Recess DVD collection in a student backpack. They've even released DVDs a bit like that here in the US: Peach Girl.

But so many people here just presume that the intent is perverse.

Why?

Is it because this is the controversial hot-button topic of the month in North America? Because we've read so much about it lately and it's been the focus of so many Dr Phil specials and pursued by so many newspapers? Is it an obsession?

In comparison, today homosexuality is becoming more widely accepted in the US; there are local laws that make it a protected status along with age and race, and at least one state has legalized gay marriage. A decade or two ago, it was thought to be a proselytizing mental disease that would scar innocent children. If anime was at its current point a decade ago, would people be peaching the harmful effects of Loveless or something similar? (Gay themes are pretty common too, aren't they?)

This is a genuine request for opinions. I'm just trying to understand why people's responses are so impassioned, on a deeper level than simply "pedophilia is horrible and wrong."

(Interesting fact: Did you know Wikipedia implicates ANN in the license cancellation of the Nymphet manga?)
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

(Interesting fact: Did you know Wikipedia implicates ANN in the license cancellation of the Nymphet manga?)

I'm pretty sure the message board debates on ANN were partly the reason why it was canceled. Partly.

And, even if you can justify the series as innocent or whatever, the backpack thing IS perverse. It's wrong. It's disturbing. The series is, no matter how much you protect it, clearly aimed at older males. Why the F**K would an older man need a little girl's school bag?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
An actual backpack - thats cool - its the utlimate cosplay add-on!
Raelanura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Case wrote:

I'm pretty sure the message board debates on ANN were partly the reason why it was canceled. Partly.

And, even if you can justify the series as innocent or whatever, the backpack thing IS perverse. It's wrong. It's disturbing. The series is, no matter how much you protect it, clearly aimed at older males. Why the F**K would an older man need a little girl's school bag?

Cos it's cooler and more interesting than a run-of-the-mill artbox. Why does it need to mean anything more than that?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
In comparison, today homosexuality is becoming more widely accepted in the US; there are local laws that make it a protected status along with age and race, and at least one state has legalized gay marriage. A decade or two ago, it was thought to be a proselytizing mental disease that would scar innocent children. If anime was at its current point a decade ago, would people be peaching the harmful effects of Loveless or something similar? (Gay themes are pretty common too, aren't they?)

WHY is it whenever there is a pedophile/loli argument, somebody will drag out the "homosexuality was wrong, but now it's more commonly accepted; therefore think about pedophilia/loli this way."

ONE: Gays do not equal pedophiles. An adult man having sex with young boys is not homosexuality. That's pedophilia.
TWO: Homosexuality is between two consenting adults (or between two people close in age, if we're talking teenagers). Not an adult and child.
THREE: Being gay hurts no one. Pedophiles hurt children.

That's why people get upset over pedophilia and things that may promote pedophilia, which is some loli-con. The school backpack emphasizes the loli aspect of Kodomo no Jikan and as Unholy Nny said:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
The series is, no matter how much you protect it, clearly aimed at older males. Why the F**K would an older man need a little girl's school bag?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3