• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Magical Girl Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanda Pokorny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I am having trouble finding new magical girl manga in the US that is not Sailor Moon, Shugo Chara, or the Madoka Magica series. I did try looking on here and other sites to and could not find anything I am looking for. If anyone can help me that would be great. Thanks.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
There isn't much new magical girl manga, at least not in the vein of Sailor Moon, but if you have access to interlibrary loan or a site like abebooks.com, you can look for the following out of print titles:

Corrector Yui (five volumes, has a sci fi twist)
Saint Tail (seven volumes, mysterious thief)
Phantom Thief Jeanne (five volumes in Viz's recent re-release and one of my favorites)
Tokyo Mew Mew and its sequel Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode
Pretear (four volumes, another favorite)

In terms of series that are still technically magical girl but are kind of pushing it, there's Shadow Lady (3 volumes), Guru Guru Pon-chan (she's a magical dog girl), and Instant Teen: Just Add Nuts, where she simply ages up.

For a darker take on the genre, specifically what I think of as a failed magical girl story (the girl fails, not the story), Ceres: Celestial Legend is interesting.
Amanda Pokorny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know and also for your help. Sometimes I feel like the magical girl genre is dying in a way because there are not a lot of new titles. And I have read Tokyo Mew Mew (besides Sailor Moon it was one of the series that got me into anime and manga) and I also read Phantom Thief Jeanne and I like that one a lot to.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
A couple of Arina Tanemura series might count. Full Moon o Sagashite (she ages up to become a pop star) and more recently Idol Dreams (she ages down to become a teenager again and be a pop star. Runs in a josei magazine so a more mature take on the idea)
Amanda Pokorny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
I read Full Moon and its one of my favorites and I have also read a lot of other Arina Tanemura titles she is my favorite manga artist
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Amanda Pokorny wrote:
Thanks for letting me know and also for your help. Sometimes I feel like the magical girl genre is dying in a way because there are not a lot of new titles. And I have read Tokyo Mew Mew (besides Sailor Moon it was one of the series that got me into anime and manga) and I also read Phantom Thief Jeanne and I like that one a lot to.

The genre is not dying, it is just that stuff is not making it here to the west.

There is one new magical girl title here in the west, that no one has mentioned yet.

Mahou Shoujo of the End or as its English title - Magical Girl Apocalypse
While it is nothing close to Sailor Moon, it is about Magical Girls destroying the world. MAGICAL takes on a whole new meaning.

And you have this one coming out next year. News from MyAnimeList:
(Mahou Shoujo Site has been licensed in English as Magical Girl Site by Seven Seas Entertainment. The first volume of is set to release on February 21, 2017.) Another dark take on the magical girl genre.

Ore to Hero to Mahou Shoujo, about a boy who transforms into a Magical Girl to fight monsters.

I was going to add Magical Girl Not in Love, but that seems to be Korean.
Amanda Pokorny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. I looked up Magical Girl Apocalypse before because someone suggested it to me on another site but I am looking for something that is more lighter and that dose not have any horror in it. I also would like to know how I can find release dates and new manga announcements as well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
If you want something lighter, have you read Kamichama Karin? It's adorable; one of my favorites, up there with Arina Tanemura's titles. Anime smile It also has a sequel series, so 14 volumes in all.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see Sugar Sugar Rune mentioned on this thread yet? That's one of my favourites! The Del Rey edition is out of print but used copies may be available, or check the library. Or Udon is supposed to be publishing a new edition if you can wait...

Kodansha Comics just announced a new title a couple weeks ago, Kigurumi Defense Squad. That one should be coming out sometime next year. It's a current series that runs in the same magazine Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, and many others came from, so I think it'll have the pretty art and lighter tone that you are looking for :)

As far as finding out information about new series and release dates, the publishers' social media accounts are one good way (most are on twitter and tumblr, facebook...). ANN also reports on these announcements, if you're watching for them here. To find release dates, I use Amazon's "advanced search" function: it lets me search for a publisher (Yen Press, Kodansha Comics, Viz Media LLC etc). Right now you can find listings for books going out to around May if you really want to plan ahead!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1