• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Death Stranding

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It'll have support for 4K resolutions and HDR, both of which are likely to be standard TV features in the next few years.

I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome the increased fidelity (and cost) of such features that media consumers have hitherto managed to do without. Bon appétit, dear videophiles. In your number I can never afford to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely got my eye on Shin Megami Tensei Apocalypse IV: Apocalypse.

Quote:
This is a bad joke and I feel bad.

You should feel bad, Dustin. XD
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mothership Shin Megami Tensei games are too hard for the Western gamers of today, coupled with several never coming here, If hasn't came here nor is it fan translated, II hasn't came here but was fan translated and the original Devil Summoner which falls in the same boat as If.

TGS has been pretty good so far and it's bringing on maximum hype for Puyo Puyo Chronicle, today is empty, there's always 1 TGS day where there's nothing I want to see for some reason. I can't wait for the Gundam Games 30th Anniversary stage (hopefully there will be a Gundam game announced for the Vita and Gundam Versus gameplay) and the next Puyo Puyo Chronicle stage tomorrow.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Death Stranding so far comes across as awkward and ill-defined to start but I'm sure they'll try to market it down my throat somehow like everything to do with Kojima long before they've hammered any tangibles out. Honestly if the guy ever held any particular meaning to me it's ceased to exist (I mean I guess I kind of like Metal Gear Solid 3 but never got the big deal about the rest of the franchise and just find it a typical convoluted mess of a universe ala Resident Evil by yet another Japanese company unwilling to let a cash cow die) and has just been replaced by meaning yet more time for aggressive overbearing marketing, periodic updates, long development cycles and plenty of empty hype that gets others all worked up but just renders me kind of indifferent in the long run as little tangible or appealing to my tastes manages to emerge. I wonder what makes me so immune to market hype sometimes, maybe it's just having established tastes right now, maybe it's just a matter of how I view the media having lived most of my formative years without the internet but it can only negatively impact my impression of things I've found over the years.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Final coming out next week is nice and should be a good tide over while Japan busies itself with the new Persona and we get it in February provided one of those all to common industry patented delays (usually for commercial reasons I've found) that are fast just becoming a standard more than anything crops up. Hard not to feel cynical and just gotta hope for the best that the one game I'm looking forward to next year actually makes it out on time with no industry shenanigans.

If it isn't already clear hype can *insert expletive here* but actual tangible things that hold value to me are fine.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
and just find it a typical convoluted mess of a universe ala Resident Evil

If the Resident Evil universe is a convoluted mess what does that make the Street Fighter franchise with it's games that take place before or after or inbetween other games Razz
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not a huge delay, but for a game that's very nearly into Duke Nukem Forever territory, that one last little slip is downright hilarious to me.

I was actually expecting a delay - yet again - for The Last Guardian. The developers have practically turned into the new Working Designs. Which means we should still be getting an awesome game.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's the reason I never took the date off our orders. But at least we'll get it.

Well, when doesn't Mario ever stop running he's always running. But the game should be fun.

*Finally had a chance to see the Death Stranding trailer. Man, talk about a mystery and so many are trying to give analogies on the little bit. But you know Kojima as well as other Japanese creators, there is always a social-political message in their games. And much of it often has to do with the growing tides of change in society and where things may go. Just like Parasyte, those little messages are often highly important.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Last Guardian will probably be fine, I doubt the game has been in active development for all these years, it seems pretty clear to me that it was a project that stalled before being revamped for the PS4.

Games that are in active development for long periods of time rarely turn out well (see: Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever) but I feel pretty confident that Last Guardian will buck that trend.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Heheh! I bet lots of SMT fans will be jealous of me.

I picked up Apocalypse today. There's a store in Akiba that sells English games. They managed to get advance copies!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:

I picked up Apocalypse today. There's a store in Akiba that sells English games. They managed to get advance copies!

Unless you got it cheap no one's jealous of you Razz
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Time is money. Fun is money. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1