• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do Animax Asia's English Dubs Come From?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I first heard of Animax when someone suggested their English Digimon 02 dub, since it was uncut but in English. I remember thinking it was terrible, with what I thought were heavy accidents, but in retrospect it must have just been bad acting and mumbling. I heard K-ON years later and thought it was similarly bad.

But then I found their CCS dub to be positively tolerable. No worse than an old ADV dub at the very least. I was kind of glad that NIS included it since it's just decent enough to be tolerable to kids who can't/won't read subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I heard the dub on the Gundam Build Fighters release is also the Animax Dub and it's awful.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I have the DVD of Fantastic Children which has an Odex dub and, yeah, it's abysmal. Complete with weird unplaceable accents and characters who are so stilted that it's actually kind of hard to figure out what they're even trying to say. I'm a dub fan and I watch that show with subtitles.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
the Nodame dub is pretty much the only good animax dub I've ever heard, so it's good to know the story behind why that is, though, I'm still dismayed that you can't legally buy that dub stateside, such a waste...

Meanwhile the CCS animax dub is so dishearteningly bad, I remember being so glad to finally own that series but equally feeling jipped that it was bagged with quite possibly the worst dub I've ever heard, I remember even thinking I'd rather have the Nelvana dub if nothing else but it being easier on my ears. As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't have been much different, Nelvana's dub isn't uncut but technically animax's isn't either thus the weird silent lines where subs would popup. If only it could have gotten a redub salior moon style ::sigh::
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I had first heard the Fairy Tail Dub from them and it was god awful, i couldn't believe the voices i heard, there are clips on youtube if interested in hearing them, FUNimation dub was vastly superior
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
So I totally love Toward the Terra! It's in my top five favorite animes of all time list. So when I heard about the dub by animax I was super excited. I watched the first few episodes and.....well it was horrible, in my opinion. I love some dubs, but to me, this one was absolutely terrible. It was like some of the cast was trying too hard while others just sounded bored. I ended up buying the sub-only dvd's at a convention some time later and never went back. I appreciate people wanting to dub anime and I know that not all dubs are liked by everyone, but in my experience so far, animax hasn't done that great of a job dubbing.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Animax dubs may be inferior to NA dubs vocally, but at least they're accurate.
tailwhip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Animax in Asia not only bad interm of dub but also sub. The literally don't sub from japanese audio but just put the script for english dub as subtitle. Even for someone who only understand basic japanese it really obvious how different the japanese audio from the sub.

Basically both sub and dub are incredibly terrible, that's why I don't watch Animax.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I've seen quite a handful of Animax dubbed anime when I lived in the Philippines. Inuyasha, Sgt. Frog, Card Captor Sakura, Clamp School Detectives, Fancy Lala etc. When I was younger I didn't think they were bad, I was just happy to just see an anime in English as opposed to dubbed in Tagalog or just Japanese subbed.

But now I can't even sit through an Animax dub. Only two actors sound like they're atleast trying and have done this before, while the rest sound wooden and the delivery of their lines is very awkward. Not even for the sake of nostalgia will I subject my ears to an Animax dub again.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Their Cardcaptor Sakura dub is garbage.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I first heard of Animax when someone suggested their English Digimon 02 dub, since it was uncut but in English. I remember thinking it was terrible, with what I thought were heavy accidents, but in retrospect it must have just been bad acting and mumbling. I heard K-ON years later and thought it was similarly bad.

But then I found their CCS dub to be positively tolerable. No worse than an old ADV dub at the very least. I was kind of glad that NIS included it since it's just decent enough to be tolerable to kids who can't/won't read subtitles.

That Digimon dub was actually made by Odex before Animax even existed. I actually heard Toei even send it as translation material to foreign studios who wished to make uncut dub of Digimon, so they don't have to translate from Japanese, but I am not 100% sure about that, it's just a rumour I've heard somewhere. Similarly, Odex did One Piece dub in times, when 4Kids still hold the license in North America. And once again, I've heard Toei used this as source material for foreign dubs of One Piece, but once again, I am not 100% sure about this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
the Nodame dub is pretty much the only good animax dub I've ever heard, so it's good to know the story behind why that is, though, I'm still dismayed that you can't legally buy that dub stateside, such a waste...

Meanwhile the CCS animax dub is so dishearteningly bad, I remember being so glad to finally own that series but equally feeling jipped that it was bagged with quite possibly the worst dub I've ever heard, I remember even thinking I'd rather have the Nelvana dub if nothing else but it being easier on my ears.

If the CCS is the one on Crunchyroll, it's not that bad, actually--
Now, Gakuen Alice, OTOH, was a bit unfortunate in not getting a more professional dubbing house.
And Nodame an absolutely disk-ready dub if it wasn't tangled up in a dozen Sony and music rights.

Sgt. Frog's Animax dub is a little rough around the edges (you can tell four or five actors are being used to dub a dozen characters), and Keroro's cute scratchy-Pokemon-kid-actress voice takes a little getting used to after Todd Haberkorn's nerdy-ADD...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbCo6EegIo4
But so on the mark for translating the proper gags to script, that back during the "war", we original-show defenders used to search out the remaining Animax-dub episodes on YouTube, and RUB them into Funimation's face with sandpaper to show that it wasn't so "impossible" to translate the original show's sub-script gags into Western-humor context after all. So much for that alibi.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
The sole exception so far has been NIS America's release of Card Captor Sakura, which included the Animax Asia dub as a bonus (since it was mostly uncut). Other American publishers have tried to secure these dubs and failed.

You forgot that Nozomi/RightStuf included the Animax dub of Gundam Build Fighters on their recent bluray/DVD release.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Animax dubs may be inferior to NA dubs vocally, but at least they're accurate.

"This dish literally tastes like excrement, but at least the chef followed the recipe."
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

"This dish literally tastes like excrement, but at least the chef followed the recipe."

Now, now; there's no need to be harsh . . . . . even if your humor is good! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6