• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name this genre? (Series like Saint Seiya, Toriko, and Hokuto No Ken but not Hajime no Ippo)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakuto82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Is there a name to the genre of manga and anime which entail the three following traits:

(1) The main protagonists have a philosophical code that entails ideas such as fighting spirit in a Wuxia (think the Touki in Hokuto no Ken) (2) superhuman abilities based on ki, cosmos, etc (non Shonen Jump character Ryoga Hibiki's Shishi Hakodan) (3) the techniques are named, sometimes written on the screen by a narrator or yelled out by the characters themselves.

I would dub it martial arts but I think Yawara ! has no super powers. I would call it fighting but I would then have to include Rokundenashi Blues, which is not what I am describing. So magical martial arts or super martial arts?
Ashymo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Just Martial arts + Supernatural tags would suffice, no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1