• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Tale of Two Kenji Yokoyamas

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
I recently noticed that there are two animators whose names would be written as "Kenji Yokoyama" in English, though the "Ken" in their names use different kanji:

横山健次
https://www18.atwiki.jp/sakuga/pages/1659.html
-Largely works for Toei Animation and is a relatively older animator

横山謙次
http://www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/1946.html
-Largely works for David Production and is a relatively young animator

I feel confident, though I have no proof, that these two are different people and not pseudonyms of the same person, (though I don't know how I'd go about proving this). As such, it would be much appreciated if a new Encyclopedia page was made for the latter Kenji Yokoyama at which point his credits can be migrated to said new page.

Thank you for your time!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I hadn't gotten to this yet. Before I can split the animator entry, I have to be sure which Kenji Yokoyama that every single credit belongs to. That takes a while to do (particularly since a number of sources are unhelpful and I have to go digging myself). I'm just about ready now, but there are a few I'm not entirely sure on because I was unable to find a kanji source (if anyone knows of anything on these titles, be sure to let me know):

Can Can Bunny Extra (OAV) Animation
Crystal Triangle (OAV) Key Animation
Tottoi (movie) Animation

These two I could not find kanji source, but due to the apparent connection of 横山謙次 (City Hunter: The Secret Service and Sentimental Journey) to MI/Emuai in the 90's, it's probably that one:

MAPS (OAV 1994) In-Between Animation(EMUAI)
Samurai Shodown: The Motion Picture (special) Animation Check(MI)

There's some easily recognizable patterns here. 横山健次 started earlier in the 80's doing some non-Toei titles, but by the early 90's seemed to exclusively do Toei stuff. From the mid 90's on, anything non-Toei is always 横山謙次. Can Can Bunny Extra is late-mid 90's (横山謙次 was definitely active by that point) and "Studio M.I." is one of the listed animation studios so I'm fairly certain it's 横山謙次. Crystal Triangle seems like it's 横山健次 since I haven't found a credit for 横山謙次 that early on. Tottoi is the most difficult one to say anything on. It's probably 横山健次 due to being too early for the other, too. It's a non-Toei title but there's still some work from him in that regard around that time (Macross II, if the source is correctly transcribed). The credits right now only seem to come from the US adaptation, and there's nothing to go on as far as minor animation studios involved.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
The other Kenji Yokoyama now has an entry. Any help with verifying the more uncertain credits would still be appreciated (if it turns out I thought wrong on any of them, I'll correct it to the right person).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1