• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Gals!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bronia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Super Gals!!!! Oh my gosh, did I and do I ever love that show! I don't know if I'm up to rewatching it, but Aya was always my favourite. <3 I remember running home from school so I could watch a few episodes before I started homework. I just really liked that show, one of the few 52 episode shows that held my attention to the end and made me sad to see it end.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I enjoyed Super GALS even if maybe like a third (more?) of the episodes are kind of crappy. "Gals" were and still are often shorthand for delinquent/bad person so it's neat to see a less grumpy portrayal (for a more recent similar example, see Please Tell Me! Galko-chan!).

It got surprisingly heavy at times; Ran has no problems but the other two main girls certainly do. They form neat foils as one suffers from a total lack of parental involvement and the other suffers from overbearing parents who burden her with overly-high expectations.

Shibuya-mallrat culture was a big thing in 90's J-culture at the time--the idea of Ran doing all her thinking on the Hachi statue was iconic and heretical at the same time--but so many of the stories centered around teen-girl PSA lessons of Ran keeping her friends out of one of the many pitfalls to being a 90's Tokyo schoolgirl (remember, paid Kogal-ing can lead to trouble!) had some fans calling it "the Shibuya 'Fat Albert'."

Still, a fun watch back in the early DVD days, and one of the better girl-theme OP's to take your brain hostage before Lucky Star came along. Anime smile
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
bronia wrote:
Super Gals!!!! Oh my gosh, did I and do I ever love that show! I don't know if I'm up to rewatching it, but Aya was always my favourite. <3 I remember running home from school so I could watch a few episodes before I started homework. I just really liked that show, one of the few 52 episode shows that held my attention to the end and made me sad to see it end.

I always liked Aya the best, too! *high-fives*

And I got into the show due to Ep 1 being released on a Newtype USA disc, and I will admit I love the dub...partly because Ran (in the first thing I ever heard Luci Christian in) loves to call people dumbasses when appropriate, and I like the No-BS attitude that showed... [and yes, I admit to loving the much-derided, profanity-filled Stephen Foster directed dub of Steel Angel Kurumi, too...]

Speaking of the dub, I thought Kim Prause did an awesome job as Aya in one of her relatively few anime credits, and I wish I could get her autogtraph on my season 1, volume 1 DVD cover to go along with Luci "Ran" Christian, Chris "Rei" Patton & Greg "2nd Place" Ayers...
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to watch Super Gals back in the day ever since I first saw a trailer for it on the uncut ADV Sailor Moon DVD boxsets but I never got around to checking it out. I wish it was available streaming somewhere which would make it easier to watch. This seems like the type of show Crunchyroll would love to have.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
Why in the world did they go with the title of Super Gals! It sounds like the title of a trashy OVA you would see in the mid 90s.Gokudo looks like an enjoyable show, I wish it would of gotten a UK release.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why in the world did they go with the title of Super Gals!

Because these gals are super, and "GALS" by itself seems rather dull and unattractive to me.

I originally liked Super GALS! enough to buy all of the singles of the first season as Right Stuf released them. I think that I eventually watched the whole season three times, and some of the early episodes six or seven times.
I then bought the collection for the second season. I watched all of it but the lack of a dub killed my enthusiasm for the show and I have never watched any of it again.
Even to me it seems ridiculous to not watch the first season again because the second season is not dubbed, but that is how I feel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Because these gals are super, and "GALS" by itself seems rather dull and unattractive to me.

The original manga is, in fact, called just "GALS!"

If it needs to be said, "gal" denotes the Japanese youth-culture phenomenon gyaru rather than just slang for a teenage girl or young woman.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I suppose the inspiration is 1990s, and the GALS! manga did start right at the end of 1998, but, just to be pedantic, the Super GALS! anime itself is from 2001-2002.

I enjoyed it overall but it does have a real jump-the-shark moment with the episode with Mami Honda's robot guard dog. I'm a fan of many shows' much-maligned filler episodes (with classic Sailor Moon, most of my favourite episodes were filler episodes) but that particular episode was a bit too filler-tastic even for my tastes, a moment roughly on par with that scene in Marmalade Boy where Yuu Matsura wrestled the horse.

MarshalBanana wrote:

The full Japanese title of the anime is Chou GALS! Kotobuki Ran, which translates to Super GALS! Ran Kotobuki. I suppose it was chosen to distinguish itself as the manga's title, just plain GALS!, was kind of generic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I just don't get their business model. "We sell things, we get money. When we don't sell things, we get.."

Please, help me out here.

Their business model is "at a lower price, we wouldn't sell enough extra discs to make more profit than at our current prices; we would especially lose money for our corporate parent to reverse importation. We license our shows widely to all sorts of streaming services (note that Aniplex shows were always on both Crunchy and Funi, as well as elsewhere) so there's lots of exposure and opportunity to see it."

It seems to work for them.
myfairx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Oh this brings back memories. I actually catch up Super Gals quite late, only after encountering Gals Circle dorama (which silliness comparable to Super Gals!). However I still listen to the OP and ED song.. very very catchy OP and equally good ED.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Gokudo's out! Time to toss all those ripped Netflix DVD's.

You can rip Netflix DVDs?! How?!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Same way you'd rip any other DVD, I'd imagine, but that's a topic for a forum/site that isn't this one.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Same way you'd rip any other DVD, I'd imagine, but that's a topic for a forum/site that isn't this one.

Point taken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2