• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Strange Versions of Western Historical Figures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised to see Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne didn't make the list. Jeanne dArc (Joan of Arc) being reincarnated as a magical girl in modern Japan who has to capture demons from works of art. I'd call that a pretty strange use of a western historical figure. If you haven't seen this series, Lynzee, I recommend you check it out if you can. Best praise I can give it is that it is one of the very few Magical Girl series I not only finished but actually finished and enjoyed.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
I kinda liked this list. It's a shame that they don't have a bizarre version of George Washington,Benjamin Franklin,or Abe Lincoln on this list. Thomas Edison has made some appearances in anime,and for those Nicola Tesla fans out there,he was a Serbian-American inventor. Also,it's sad he doesn't make some appearances in anime as well.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
To Lynzee: Can we have a list about enjoyable fillers nin anime please? It's ona of the things this column misses
This is a really good idea but I'm not sure I could write it since my anime knowledge doesn't extend to a lot of really long-running series (i.e. the kinds that get filler).
This reminds me of your last list, might I suggest you and/or the ANN staff compile a list of "subject matter experts" that you can pick the brains of before writing a column on things you don't know much about? In my industry the government has those who get asked to review proposals for projects before deciding to fund them in case they were already done in the past, were abject failures, etc. While some on staff and acquaintances might be SME's on Naruto, Bleach, etc. some in the fandom that comment here like EricJ2 and others might be total nuts on other shows or obscure trivia that would be hard to track down in preparing to do a column and I'm sure they would love to contribute.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah the Chevalier d'Eon is one of my favorite historical figures. Although his/her status as an actual transgender person is suspect and most of his/her early life dressing as a woman may not be true at all....yeah, I do kinda prefer to see "a transgender diplomat blackmail the French government, force it to acknowledge her sex, and pay for a brand-new wardrobe."
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
To Lynzee: Can we have a list about enjoyable fillers nin anime please? It's ona of the things this column misses
This is a really good idea but I'm not sure I could write it since my anime knowledge doesn't extend to a lot of really long-running series (i.e. the kinds that get filler).
This reminds me of your last list, might I suggest you and/or the ANN staff compile a list of "subject matter experts" that you can pick the brains of before writing a column on things you don't know much about? In my industry the government has those who get asked to review proposals for projects before deciding to fund them in case they were already done in the past, were abject failures, etc. While some on staff and acquaintances might be SME's on Naruto, Bleach, etc. some in the fandom that comment here like EricJ2 and others might be total nuts on other shows or obscure trivia that would be hard to track down in preparing to do a column and I'm sure they would love to contribute.

Your proposal was really nice until you got to the part where you suggested I didn't know what I was talking about in the Goth column because you disagree with my inclusion of xxHoliC Rei over Gosick. Buddy, I don't hamfist topics that I know nothing about it, we just have a disagreement on ONE entry in the entire thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I kinda liked this list. It's a shame that they don't have a bizarre version of George Washington,Benjamin Franklin,or Abe Lincoln on this list.

Franklin appears in episode three of Time Travel Girl. He ends up flying a Japanese kite made by the main girl, Mari. He's portrayed (accurately I believe) as something of a womanizer.

No Tesla in this show, but Faraday, Volta, Edison, Gilbert, Bell, Hertz, and Morse all appear. You'll notice they all have something to do with electromagnetism which is a major theme in the show.

What struck me as interesting about Time Travel Girl is that it seems to teach Japanese children that invention is a Western concept. No Japanese scientists or inventors appear in the show at all except for Mari's father who builds the time travel machine. He, of course, is entirely fictitious.

The scientific history in the show seems pretty accurate, but the portrayals of the men themselves not so much. Early in the Hertz episode Mari's father warns the scientist to discontinue his research into cathode rays because they can be dangerous. Later we see Hertz consumed with a serious disease. One might conclude it was some form of radiation sickness because of exposure to the rays, but in fact Hertz died of an rare, and still untreatable disease.

Similarly Edison is credited with the invention of the toaster, but according to the online "Toaster Museum" someone working at General Electric received the patent. Since Edison was a partner in GE, he may deserve some of the credit, but he didn't invent the device. (I also can't find much evidence in support of show's claim that Edison was responsible for the "three-meals-a-day" routine either.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

What would the criteria for "enjoyable" even be? It's entirely subjective, and you can see how contentious even mostly objective choices can get. And the list of such filler probably exceeds 6 or 7. Smile

It's not a bad idea in and of itself, though, so I would suggest you start a thread in the anime section where people could share their favorite fillers and why.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
My poll vote went to Char. Who else in the list, I conjecture, can match his technical and strategic acumen, his often malicious cunning, his penchant for patience and nerve, and his ever-composed, dandy charms? To think that Kamille outranked him in a previous poll.

Well for one thing, Amuro beats him almost every time the two fight.

and on Kamille: He's literally the strongest newtype in the series, so hard to top that. You can have the strongest mecha of all time and still fail because your opponent destroys your mind.

For me this was a toss-up between Simon and Kamille. Simon because galaxy throwing and Kamille for mind destruction.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Gore17 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why does Urobuchi/Nasu use "Iskandar", the Arabic-Persian name instead of "Aléxandros"? The man was Macedonian, not Persian.

Ignorance at its best.

dunno, I am still waiting for fate grand order's quetzalcoalt to be a native american, where the most important point of his legend is that he was caucasian.

Actually, Alexander adopted multiple Persian customs and Persian fashion after conquering it. The name is a reference to that fact, which is supported by the fact that when a younger version of him is summoned in the Fate/Grand Order game, he goes by Alexander.

LOL, I am aware of this, although it's worth noting that the Hellenic city-states started adopting Persian customs long before the Alexandrian period. It doesn't change his name, though. By that stance, all Arabs prior to Muhammad IF depicted by Nasu and the like should have an Aramaic variant of their name; given that Arabic prior to Muhammad was merely a language of the Arabs; Aramaic being the lingua franca of the Middle East at the time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
What struck me as interesting about Time Travel Girl is that it seems to teach Japanese children that invention is a Western concept. No Japanese scientists or inventors appear in the show at all except for Mari's father who builds the time travel machine. He, of course, is entirely fictitious.

Unfortunately, that's true--Apart from a few forgotten bold science experiments, Japan prided itself on being traditional, and didn't really do that much with "innovation" until the Meiji era adopted the new modern Western fashions of the camera, bicycle and automobile, etc.

Which is why Japan can seem a little culturally ambivalent about teaching science alongside national pride:
They can say that they're enjoying the brilliant benefits of invention and innovation now, but that's only because EVERYONE ELSE brought it into THEIR serene samurai country without asking...
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
I confess that I find it a bit weird than anyone is referring to Chevalier d'Eon as a "she" considering that they proved after his death that he was a guy. One of the particularly funny bits about that though was that the London Stock Exchange had a bet going on for years over whether he was a he or a she. But it was pretty surprising to find out that the real person that the anime, Chevalier d'Eon, was based on was arguably even weirder than the anime - which is saying something given how bizarre that anime was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3