• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He's still kind of sending a mixed message though. "It's ok to run away," seems like good advice, but he's merciless with the Claw crew for doing just that in their refusal to engage the real world. Then again, I guess they missed the caveat that it's only ok if the other choice is hurting people.

I think he's referring to running away when constructive reasoning with the opponent is futile (because they're essentially children) and there's the very real possibility of causing harm to those you really care about in the long run (including yourself), not necessarily actually running away from society because "it's mean." Also, it was in self-defense. Which is as fair a reasoning as any I'd say. People like Mob are all the more respectful because they face the reality of their world and how harsh it can be, but they never let it get them down. At least, not permanently, anyway. And I think Reigen has a lot to do with influencing that aspect of his character.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
If you think about it critically, "world domination" is such a cliched concept that when it is used in an anime like MP100 it doesn't describe what exactly the "evil organization" will do to the world. Were they literally going to dominate the world by turning it into an authoritarian society with them being the dictator? if you evaluate the motivations of the characters in the organization, couldn't "world domination" be interpreted as another way of saying that they want to create a society where their specialty is appreciated by people? The problem I have with this last episode is that it seems to completely reject any possibility that such a change is possible (the idea of which was embodied in the character of Reigen) and views others with disdain for wanting to make that change. This honestly has me a little confused, because elsewhere in MP100 and everywhere in One Punch Man, ONE had us sympathizing with heroes who were the victims of society's arbitrary evaluation, and we as the viewers genuinely cursed those societies for inflicting pain in the characters. It could be that ONE's view of the hierarchal society has changed over the course of writing these stories, but I still believe that we have the right to fight for other people's appreciation and there is absolutely nothing shameful about doing it.

Well, if they really want to be appreciated by society, perhaps kidnapping, brainwashing and generally using their powers mostly for criminal acts isn't exactly the best way to go about it?
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
If you think about it critically, "world domination" is such a cliched concept that when it is used in an anime like MP100 it doesn't describe what exactly the "evil organization" will do to the world. Were they literally going to dominate the world by turning it into an authoritarian society with them being the dictator? if you evaluate the motivations of the characters in the organization, couldn't "world domination" be interpreted as another way of saying that they want to create a society where their specialty is appreciated by people? The problem I have with this last episode is that it seems to completely reject any possibility that such a change is possible (the idea of which was embodied in the character of Reigen) and views others with disdain for wanting to make that change. This honestly has me a little confused, because elsewhere in MP100 and everywhere in One Punch Man, ONE had us sympathizing with heroes who were the victims of society's arbitrary evaluation, and we as the viewers genuinely cursed those societies for inflicting pain in the characters. It could be that ONE's view of the hierarchal society has changed over the course of writing these stories, but I still believe that we have the right to fight for other people's appreciation and there is absolutely nothing shameful about doing it.

Well, if they really want to be appreciated by society, perhaps kidnapping, brainwashing and generally using their powers mostly for criminal acts isn't exactly the best way to go about it?

Ya, I agree with you on that point. But I was focusing on the fact that Reigen was mocking them rather than showing sympathy for the hardships they experienced.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

World Domination = Worshipped by everyone as special and superior being, that's more or less the connection ONE is trying to make.

Reigen doesn't pretend to say that society is purely good, he says that it is harsh, but you are not transforming it by rejecting it and trying to destroy it and build it anew for your individual purposes. It's not that you can't criticize it, in fact, do it, but keep in mind that such transformation is much slower and at best you can influence the people you usually interact with the most, and that doesn't mean that those people will have some sort of "click" and worship you or something.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Merida wrote:

Ya, I agree with you on that point. But I was focusing on the fact that Reigen was mocking them rather than showing sympathy for the hardships they experienced.

But that's exactly why he's mocking them! If their reaction to experiencing hardship hadn't been putting on silly costumes, believing they are somehow above "commoners" and violently aiming for world domination, i'm sure Reigen would have reacted differently...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
Merida wrote:

But that's exactly why he's mocking them! If their reaction to experiencing hardship hadn't been putting on silly costumes, believing they are somehow above "commoners" and violently aiming for world domination, i'm sure Reigen would have reacted differently...
Sounds like a small, but very vocal part of the Anime community.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I can't agree with how Claw does things. On the other hand, I don't much agree with what Reigen said, either. The real problem, IMO, is in adopting society's values regarding how you view yourself, and in trying to change society in general. If society has rejected you, then reject it right back. Go and be your own person, set your own goals, and decide for yourself what sort of person you are. These Claw guys are using society as their measuring stick, and by doing so they've attached themselves to it: it becomes the primary body they're orbiting. So, in that respect, Reigen is right: their idea of "world conquest" is just juvenile and, ultimately, impossible to accomplish.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And beyond the usual, Reigan was more awesome than ever. Wink I haven't much liked Dimple so much, but his shop-talk with Reigan was a treat. Neither one has anything to hide, so they can kind of let down their hair, and yet Reigan still effortlessly pwned him.

Quote:
He's still kind of sending a mixed message though. "It's ok to run away," seems like good advice, but he's merciless with the Claw crew for doing just that in their refusal to engage the real world. Then again, I guess they missed the caveat that it's only ok if the other choice is hurting people.

"It's ok to run away"--from violent conflicts other people try to suck you into. Reigen is advocating strategic retreat, not hiding from reality, and certainly not world domination. Building the kind of hierarchy the Scars are trying to establish--making yourself feel better by convincing yourself and others that you're better than them by virtue of unearned talent or ability-- is *exactly* what Reigen, and ONE, is against. Effort and action, especially the way one chooses to treat others, define whether a person is decent or not. That's why super strong Saitama and otherwise ordinary guy Mumen Rider are presented as equals in One Punch Man. Neither are doing the hero thing for the fame or glory; neither is using his position as hero to lord himself over others; both are willing to put themselves in danger for the benefit of others (Mumen Rider physically, Saitama by destroying his reputation and shouldering public hatred). Everyone is a commoner, and is equally able to choose whether to be kind or vindictive in response to the world's hostility. If you have talents, great, use them for yourself and/or other's benefits--but never to hurt another human being, or think you're better than they are.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He's still kind of sending a mixed message though. "It's ok to run away," seems like good advice, but he's merciless with the Claw crew for doing just that in their refusal to engage the real world. Then again, I guess they [by which I meant Claw's members, not the series] missed the caveat that it's only ok if the other choice is hurting people.

"It's ok to run away"--from violent conflicts other people try to suck you into. Reigen is advocating strategic retreat, not hiding from reality, and certainly not world domination. Building the kind of hierarchy the Scars are trying to establish--making yourself feel better by convincing yourself and others that you're better than them by virtue of unearned talent or ability-- is *exactly* what Reigen, and ONE, is against.

But is that the message Mob got? That's what I was referring to about sending mixed messages (I guess I sent my own mixed message Smile ). We know what he was trying to say, but Mob's pretty simple, and his response to "It's ok to run away" was to abdicate his power to an adult (since Reigan has also been hammering at the distinction between adults and kids over the last couple of episodes) rather than to choose between running and fighting. They even put his reductive processing on the screen for us: "Run away" = "Don't fight" = "Leave it to Master." Then Reigan climbs all over Claw's asses because they were adults and still running away from reality and hard choices, but it wasn't clear to me if Mob was processing the difference between what Reigan told him and what he told the Claws.

Btw, why did you quote the first part of my post separately? Were you agreeing, disagreeing, or did you forget to respond to it? Very Happy

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
These Claw guys are using society as their measuring stick, and by doing so they've attached themselves to it: it becomes the primary body they're orbiting.

Just wanted to say that was a brilliant metaphor.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But is that the message Mob got? That's what I was referring to about sending mixed messages (I guess I sent my own mixed message Smile ). We know what he was trying to say, but Mob's pretty simple, and his response to "It's ok to run away" was to abdicate his power to an adult (since Reigan has also been hammering at the distinction between adults and kids over the last couple of episodes) rather than to choose between running and fighting. They even put his reductive processing on the screen for us: "Run away" = "Don't fight" = "Leave it to Master." Then Reigan climbs all over Claw's asses because they were adults and still running away from reality and hard choices, but it wasn't clear to me if Mob was processing the difference between what Reigan told him and what he told the Claws.

The little infodump when Mob transfers his powers tells us (and we should infer that that was Mob's interpretation) that at some points, it's okay to someone lend us a hand to solve our problems. Mob was about to use all of his individual rage, and without a doubt, he would've won, but Reigen knew that situation is not healthy for Mob at all, none of Mob's explosions so far have finished with Mob in the best condition.

And the numbers are very interesting, because Reigen's power becomes 1000% not only is it over 100, it doesn't fall into ???, it's in control, it's got a number, and Reigen is under control it because he's got Mob's total and complete faith in him, which in the end was much stronger than his rage only.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
The little infodump when Mob transfers his powers tells us (and we should infer that that was Mob's interpretation) that at some points, it's okay to someone lend us a hand to solve our problems.

Again, I got all that, but it doesn't answer my question of whether Mob got it. The narration sounded to me like he reacted subconsciously to being given a helping hand (i.e. a way to avoid choosing) because words can be powerful, but it doesn't mean that what he understood consciously was any more complex than "Run away" = "Don't fight" = "Leave it to Master." And since I doubt that will ever be elucidated to my satisfaction, nor does it really need to be, I'm content to leave it unanswered.

On another note, before Reigan realized what was going on, when he asked Sakurai how he cut the floor, I got the distinct impression that he wanted to know the trick so he could use it himself. Very Happy
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Valhern wrote:
The little infodump when Mob transfers his powers tells us (and we should infer that that was Mob's interpretation) that at some points, it's okay to someone lend us a hand to solve our problems.

Again, I got all that, but it doesn't answer my question of whether Mob got it. The narration sounded to me like he reacted subconsciously to being given a helping hand (i.e. a way to avoid choosing) because words can be powerful, but it doesn't mean that what he understood consciously was any more complex than "Run away" = "Don't fight" = "Leave it to Master." And since I doubt that will ever be elucidated to my satisfaction, nor does it really need to be, I'm content to leave it unanswered.

On another note, before Reigan realized what was going on, when he asked Sakurai how he cut the floor, I got the distinct impression that he wanted to know the trick so he could use it himself. Very Happy

All of Mob's explosions are actually conscious, except for the ???% explosion and the Reject explosion (episode 10), those two were activated by pure pressure. Anger is activated when Mob realizes Dimple is actually an evil spirit, Sadness when he realizes what he's done as ???%, and Hostile when he decides to fight with Claw's agent, there is always a point in which he reaches limit and gives in, after that there's no return to normal until he does what he decided to do by unlocking that emotion (Anger), or when his power runs out (Hostile).

So what he activates here (Gratitude) is conscious and he understood perfectly what he was doing as far as his decision went (the subs say "resolution", which is accurate), perhaps he did not thought of giving Reigen powers per se, the consequence probably
was unconscious.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
You keep telling me stuff I already know as a viewer, and missing my point entirely, but c'est la vie. I don't have any other way to explain it.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Valhern wrote:

You're actually on to something there. Mob does have a habit of absorbing all the knowledge and lessons he receives without giving them the nuance they need in order to be fully understood, which is to be expected from a simple-minded child like him (what happened with Teru even though Reigen did tell him afterwards that self-defense was fine;his reluctance to hurt Tsuchiya even though he was getting beaten into a pulp; this very episode, as you accurately pointed it out). It may also be explained by the life he's led up until now, where his tendency to avoid thinking for himself was largely compensated by Reigen's presence and mentoring.

In fact, that's exactly the reason why despite all my love for the Gratitude explosion and what it represents for Mob and Reigen, I really appreciated Shou ultimately calling Mob out on his "cowardice", even though the wording definitely makes the former come across as a rude little shit (which he totally is Laughing ). Of course, in the context of a final episode for a TV show that may or may not get a second season, it probably won't mean much to the anime only viewer but without getting into spoiler territory, it does mark (in my opinion) the beginning of Mob's true path towards growing up.
Learning to shoulder responsability and perhaps more importantly, bringing nuance to his understanding of the world and people by learning to reflect on his problems on his own will be a big part of season 2 (and 3...?), if there ever is one.

About the last bit, I never even thought about it but knowing Reigen it wouldn't surprise me if you were right. x')

Last edited by Starbuckets on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
I was expecting Mob's explosion, what with the grim episode preview last time, but instead got Reigen kicking ass (I don't think it's such a bad trade-off though... Laughing). Maybe I'm the only one, but I found that (almost) bookending scene with Ritsu straightening Mob's spoon with psychic powers really satisfying for some reason...

I really enjoyed this series, but are they baiting the viewers with that last scene of Sho's dad? Since OPM got a S2, is it safe to hope for MP100's sequel?

Valhern wrote:
And the numbers are very interesting, because Reigen's power becomes 1000% not only is it over 100, it doesn't fall into ???, it's in control, it's got a number, and Reigen is under control it because he's got Mob's total and complete faith in him, which in the end was much stronger than his rage only.

Oh, I like this interpretation of the 1000%. I initially took it as the power Mob transferred is ten times more powerful than Reigen (at his best Razz), but a voice in my head also chastised me (really? just 10 times?). I also thought this part was one of the funniest in the episode.

Starbuckets wrote:
In fact, that's exactly the reason why despite all my love for the Gratitude explosion and what it represents for Mob and Reigen, I really appreciated Shou ultimately calling Mob out on his "cowardice", even though the wording definitely makes the former come across as a rude little shit (which he totally is Laughing ).

I agree with this so much. And I take it that since these words are weighing on Mob's mind (enough to twist his spoon three times over Anime hyper), it's possible that he wasn't entirely in line with Reigen's meaning of 'running away'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14