• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Fall Gaming Preview

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Paper Mario: Color Splash: It remains to be seen whether or not people end up saying "It's worse than Sticker Star!" as well as how low some people are going to likely score it. I get the distinct feeling it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. As they say, it's best to judge for yourself.

World of Final Fantasy: It seems like the only thing people point out about this game is the fact the FF characters are turned into big-headed chibi doll things (though the two main protagonists can switch between regular and chibi form themselves). I can admit it does look a little stupid, but I'm sure when people play and immerse themselves in the game, they'll forget about it.

Final Fantasy XV: FFXV's big day in the spotlight is approaching. Hopefully, everything that has gone into this game's development, all the delays, changes and gameplay tweaks, will lead to a game people will enjoy and praise. If not, I'm sure I can only imagine the aftermath of the "comment & review" apocalypse that will follow and how long it will go on for.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at how little excite me from that list. Crying or Very sad

FF15 might be interesting, but after 13 got glowing review I'll definitely wait and watch a few let's play.

Last guardian, I'm just reflectively scared of game that went trough development hell, so again I'll wait for some review/let's play.

Deadrising 4, it's hard to justify buying it when there constantly releasing more content for the old one, seems like I'm better off waiting a year and grabbing the complete edition or something.
Medic702

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Your story needs a little research. Not only are Japanise arcades thriving in Japan but they are here in america also. There are 2 in North Texas. The company name is Round 1 located at www.round1usa.com. All the games are new and direct from Japan
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
What about The Silver Case? October 7th. More important than anything else on this list, as we're finally able to play a highly revered Japanese cult classic from the PS1 era. It seriously needs more attention and lists that forget it aren't helping.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It seems rather bizarre to think that two games I've been waiting a decade for each could actually be in my hands in the not-to-distant future. Amusingly, I'm actually more excited about Gravity Rush 2 than either of them. Having to wait a decade has obviously had an adverse effect on my enthusiasm. Who'd a thunk it?
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get how Miyamoto doesn't realize that the reason the first two PM games were so beloved were because they really did feel like genuine RPG's, with a large cast of partners with different personalities and types. Like, they really were storybooks/plays. Stripping them of that makes it dull and I am not pleased he thought the story was unnecessary.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Paper Mario: Color Splash: From what I saw and read, the recent reactions of the title are cooling down a bit, so I think it will have a decent chance of netting some good sales...

Pokémon Sun and Moon: My excitement for Gen. VII remains as strong as ever! Who knows what surprises await new trainers with all the new Pokémon and Alolan forms of earlier-Generation Pokémon roaming about?

Yōkai Watch 2: I'm raring to head out to buy the Ganso (Bony Spirits) version of the title! I can't wait for the good surprises that YW2 has in store. New Yōkai, new events, an improved befriending system... It's shaping up to be a fun adventure. I just hope that the lukewarm reviews and Nintendo of America's insufficient advertising won't affect YW2's sales too much...

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I really don't get how Miyamoto doesn't realize that the reason the first two PM games were so beloved were because they really did feel like genuine RPG's, with a large cast of partners with different personalities and types. Like, they really were storybooks/plays. Stripping them of that makes it dull and I am not pleased he thought the story was unnecessary.

Agreed; the RPG element of Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand Year Door was what made them so fun and emotionally enriching.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for DQ Builders because I just played the demo..it was so damn fun!!! Also excited for Pokemon Sun and Moon and Final Fantasy 15!!! WoFF I was gonna get it but then i been thinking about it...but the turn based combat is not for me so I'm gonna skip it..it looks so cute tho.. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Medic702 wrote:
Your story needs a little research. Not only are Japanise arcades thriving in Japan but they are here in america also.

Arcades do exist in America but there's considerably fewer arcades around then there were back in the 80's and early 90's. As most people saw the impracticality of repeatedly putting 25 cents into something you could just go home and play on a couch.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I really don't get how Miyamoto doesn't realize that the reason the first two PM games were so beloved were because they really did feel like genuine RPG's, with a large cast of partners with different personalities and types.

I always found it weird that unlike traditional RPG's partners in Paper Mario couldn't die.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I am not pleased he thought the story was unnecessary.

Sounds like he's been looking at comments made by western gamers Razz

Quote:
We'll gloss over the Western titles because hey, there's only so much space in this column, but there's certainly no shortage of big games there. Civilization VI is sure to suck away countless hours of productivity, Watch Dogs 2 seems to finally be making good on the promises of the first game, and Titanfall 2 has giant robots. Also Dishonored 2 seems real cool.

Mafia 3 comes out next week too.

Quote:
Despite some flaws, Gravity Rush was one of the Vita's standout games, and it deserved a larger audience than it was capable of finding on Sony's handheld.

Even if had been a console I don't think it was burning up the sales charts.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I just hope that the lukewarm reviews and Nintendo of America's insufficient advertising won't affect YW2's sales too much...

I don't think Nintendo is under obligation to advertise it as it's not their game.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 would have been in this list had spoiler[scumbag] FF XV not delay it.

Funny that you make this the day before FF XV was suppose to release. Very Happy

Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt people. You wont regret it. It is the true Megaman successor.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

Funny that you make this the day before FF XV was suppose to release. Very Happy

Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt people. You wont regret it. It is the true Megaman successor.

Don't you mean Megaman Zero?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
One of the hurdles that this new Final Fantasy installment is going to face is getting guys who want girls in their games to play it. That four or five dudes in a car thing was not a selling point for me. I am sure for others it is a selling point.

Either way it will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Will the bro-fest bring out another demographic that will replace those that will not partake. Or will the game play and story be so fantastic that all other considerations go out the window.

I liked that YouTube video about Japanese arcades, but there is a lot more that you don't see. The Kancolle arcade game has a wonderful surrounding display, it actually has a flat ship steering wheel to control your fleet girls, you can use interactive cards, it has touch screen controls. There is typically a line of people waiting to play the machine, those waiting have their cards out arranging them.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
I hope the author can have a full scope analysis of Azure Striker next friday. Like someone said before, yeah. It really is the true successor to Megaman/Megaman Zero.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
WOFF is turning out to be great, although the Vita version doesn't have multiplayer, it's not a big loss for me. Now with Pokemon Sun and Moon, hopefully it's not really short or has little content in it's postgame because having no gyms seems to be a bad idea, i get the feeling I'll breeze through it all in one sitting.

TarsTarkas wrote:
One of the hurdles that this new Final Fantasy installment is going to face is getting guys who want girls in their games to play it. That four or five dudes in a car thing was not a selling point for me. I am sure for others it is a selling point.

Either way it will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Will the bro-fest bring out another demographic that will replace those that will not partake. Or will the game play and story be so fantastic that all other considerations go out the window.

I liked that YouTube video about Japanese arcades, but there is a lot more that you don't see. The Kancolle arcade game has a wonderful surrounding display, it actually has a flat ship steering wheel to control your fleet girls, you can use interactive cards, it has touch screen controls. There is typically a line of people waiting to play the machine, those waiting have their cards out arranging them.

My issue isn't that it's all men but the style of it, if it were bara dudes, I'd consider playing it. Also, the battle system is unappealing to me which is a huge turn off.

I so want that Kancolle arcade game on consoles. I want to play that game BADLY!!!!
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Don't you mean Megaman Zero?

*looks at Mighty No. 9*

Sooooooooooo like I was saying. Buy the TRUE successor to Megaman known as Azure Striker Gunvolt.

spoiler[If you don't comprehend that then...oh well.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2