• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 26 (finale):

Well I think the finale was alright, although it was rushed, conflicts such as the mystery origins of Lady M, unresolved.

On relationship context, it looks like Freyja and Hayate won in the end BUT Mirage also managed to confess so Hayate knows rather than being left out in the dark.

The action was good, probably the highlight of the finale imo. I can't also help but laugh at Bogue for saving Walkure the first time in his life. Speaking of Aerial Knights, it was rather predictable that Keith would be the one to take down Roid after all their history, ideal clashes, etc.

I really think some of the episodes in the latter half weren't well written or could of been done better in terms of pacing. Otherwise, I enjoyed the show overall especially the first half. Rating it as Very Good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Where's the final kiss?! *RAGE*

Everyone floating around naked was weird. Still a pretty good finale, I found it to be a satisfying conclusion to this show. Perhaps a bit rushed. I would have preferred to have an epilogue or something.

I really liked this show. I came to see awesome action, great music and satisfying romance. The show didn't disappoint me in any of those areas. I was a bit bewildered after the first episode, because it seemed a bit too wacky at first. But I quickly managed to settle in. I rated this very good.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally saw the sub, man what a revelation.

Turns out Roid's master plan is using the star singer's song to link all humanoid neural network together, evolving into a greater being, with him and his people driving at the helm.

Now I assume if Roid was successful, he would have control of only the current galaxy he's in, and not any other galaxies. He also wouldn't control anything from a different dimension/time period, so we can safely assume he couldn't control beings such as the Protodeviln, Vajra, and Marduk. In other words, his influence, while vast by galactic standards, is still very limited in the grand scale. Still, to think that somewhere out there Minmay is enslaved by this prick gets your blood boiling.

When Heinz tells the other aerial knights that the U.N. government still needs to be dealt with, just not now. It seems to hint the possibility of armed conflict again in the future. I mean, this whole thing started as a war for independence, why stop just because one of your own has a hidden agenda of playing god. And in the ending, Heinz ordered everyone back home, there was no public apology, no peace talks, which doesn't tell you if the war is over or just put on hold.

First Hayate and Keith rivalry isn't put to the test, now Roid doesn't even put up a fight against his childhood friend. he just stands there and watches as he gets impaled. What the hell is that, as I recall he was a skilled swordsman too. Way to not put that to good use.

Last edited by VicViper_Mk2 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First Hayate and Keith rivalry isn't put to the test, now Roid doesn't even put up a fight against his childhood friend. he just stands there and watches as he gets impaled. What the hell is that, as I recall he was a skilled swordsman too. Way to not put that to good use.

Probably because Roid was focused on mind controlling most of the Galaxy at the same time he would have almost zero chance of protecting himself from a direct attack if his mind slaves couldn't.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's that.

If there anything i've learned that this maybe the last Macross series.
No way in hell they'll be able drum up enough revenue from this disaster of a series to make another unless there some kind of pledge drive of some kind.

I've seen disasters in my day, but not as painful as this series which franchise i love, but this was outright horrible. Outright Advertisement campaign to sell music with badly handled story line that go messy in end. Animation was terrible in action scenes. You can even enjoy it. Least i couldn't.

What's worse is this mess opens up room for damn sequel or continuation.
Lady M issue is left open and hanging, Chaos mission free Cluster is done, but Windemerians aren't out of the fight to wipe out NUNS who arguably is the chief bad guy if there should be another sequel to this franchise. Worse ever Macross since Macross 7. Music was such a big distraction in this show, it distracted from everything including the plot. I know it's important but it shouldn't be dominating the darn story so much.

Terrible. What horrible way treat a storied franchise.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nothing lasts forever. If you look at Macross's timeline and consider the main entries, there is only 4 (SDF, 7, Frontier, Delta) in the span of 34 years!! The rests are all short OVAs and retelling movies. The fact that it took so long in between series to create the next one means they're scrambling to come up with ideas. Do you want to wait another 14 years for the next one like they did with Frontier after 7?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you want to wait another 14 years for the next one like they did with Frontier after 7?

Those with the nostalgia bug probably want an OVA series in the vein of Gundam Origins with movie quality animation and solid writing depicting the major events of the original Macross.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Those with the nostalgia bug probably want an OVA series in the vein of Gundam Origins with movie quality animation and solid writing depicting the major events of the original Macross.

We have that already. It's called Do You Remember Love.

I think it's fine for Macross to only have occasional projects. Sets it apart from Gundam which has a new entry every year.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, the show rated 12th in first week of DVD sales which is suppose to be it's driving factor to be made and 23rd in second week at total of 1,176 sales for the 2nd DVD.

I'm not sure how the music sales were, I've been told it's better than that.

Sad thing is i think the fan can think of a more exciting way come up with fan-made sequel than the stuff the official licence holders can offer!
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Final Verdict: Good for what it was, but not up to Macross standard. That final arc was a mess, and I don't feel like they really resolved anything (Freyja died I assume?). It all felt really rushed.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Final Verdict: Good for what it was, but not up to Macross standard. That final arc was a mess, and I don't feel like they really resolved anything (Freyja died I assume?). It all felt really rushed.

It's more like she fades to black. I don't think she going die right away.
She and Hayato will likely have some romantic couple time together. Notice she wasn't acting silly like she usually does when they flew off.

If they make another season of this, they'll like resolve this part.
Bishop76

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
The last series? I don't know where you're getting that idea from. Seems like wishful thinking from someone who just didn't like the series.

It's been selling pretty well. Not mind-blowing numbers, but better than the last several Gundam TV series have been selling. Averaging 11,355 which is more than IBO, G-Reco, both Build Fighters, and AGE. You'd have to go back to Seed Destiny to see a Gundam series that outsold it.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
if the series timeline is any indication, it seems a new series comes out every 5 years for an "anniversary" So aside from a movie, anything else new won't be seen in around that time at the very least.

One thing I been wondering. From the day when Delta first aired in April, is the reason for one episode a week because they're making the episodes on the go (using the 7 day period to make new episodes) or is it they already had the whole thing made from the start but are restricted to releasing one a week?

Did anyone notice how much taller Freyja has grown? When we first saw her she was this little shorty. Then one birthday later and she grown into a tall, thin beanstalk. Yes, most of her costumes have high heels, but even without them its quite significant change. I guess Windermerean have enhanced growth spurs.

I wonder how much more they can squeeze out of the Protoculture concept. What else is there to go on? Should the series ever reach the 50th anniversary, I would like one massive crossover of ALL previous series (and maybe even, though next to impossible, to include Plus and 2, but no powerpoint presentation please) even if its only one episode (preferably the final battle) Now I say this because if any future antagonist is going the same way as Roid when it comes to enslaving the galaxy, then all of the past singers plus the present should be connected together and perform a symphony of galactic proportion to defeat the big bad.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did anyone notice how much taller Freyja has grown? When we first saw her she was this little shorty. Then one birthday later and she grown into a tall, thin beanstalk. Yes, most of her costumes have high heels, but even without them its quite significant change. I guess Windermerean have enhanced growth spurs.

Considering Windermerean short lifespawn, probably even before hitting 15 years would at least be age of consent of not outright considered "adulthood", so yeah a Windermere lady of 15 years not at least engaged if not outright married probably would be taken as a strange thing by there brief life species.

Now it can be taken that she DID in fact have a growth spurt upon her end year of adolescence, or it can be blamed on simple inconsistency of animation which happens, it would take some sort of interview from the source to see which is the real case.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it took me almost two weeks to realize that all the series threads were moved to a new page!

I really hate to say this, but I actually found this series to be a bit disappointing. I liked the show, but didn't love it like I did the original SDFM or Frontier. The series had quite a bit of potential, but could have been executed a bit better. I'd definitely have to say that one of the most disappointing things about Delta was that the identity of Lady M is never revealed and in the long run, wasn't really that important to the show's overall plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20