• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Promotional Anime Cafés Last Longer?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The Square Enix Cafe ARTNIA in Shinjuku is a good example of a more permanent sort of installation and menu, and worth the trip. Nice gift shop too.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I went to the Kiznaiver café in Akihabara when I was there back in the spring. They had dessert and drinks themed after each of the characters, and purchasing a character's drink got you a button of the character. There were posters and screencaps from the show put up all over the shop. It was a fun, overpriced, and neat little experience, and I'd love to be able to attend more of those!

There was also the Dragon Quest Lawson's that I wasn't sure if the promotion was permanent or just timed with the release of Dragon Quest Heroes 2.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Some cafes do have staying power. ANN even reported an article of one that soldiered on for a good while.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-02/sakura-wars-taisho-romando-shop-and-sakura-cafe-closes
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like a more elaborate version of a movie-branded McDonalds Happy Meal, but only at one specific restaurant.

That's the issue here--The rest of the comments have been asking "Why don't all cafe's last long?" but the poster was asking why the special limited-time Doraemon and Titan menus at existing cafe's weren't permanent.

That's like asking why General Mills didn't have those two promotional Batman v. Superman cereals on store shelves longer.
(And ftr, the chocolate-strawberry Batman cereal was tastier than the caramel Superman cereal, but it was close.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Ophno Im'Portynce asks:

Someone has been playing Phoenix Wright, it would seem!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
As Justin Sevakis noted, this sort of thing is not limited to Japan -- hell, it's not even limited to the anime/manga industry! I've heard stories of pop-up stores in places like NYC and LA.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I went to the final fantasy cafe in akihabara this past March. It's based on the online game. Not the whole series. Which was kinda disappointing. I also went to a maid cafe. The maid one was way better. More memorable.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that once a popup has got all the free press reporting on its existence, it's done its job.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't even aware of the existence of the PriParis café until I walked past it on my way to see the Milky Holmes movie in February.

It was a meaningless experience, but a pleasant enough one. None of the food bore any relation to PriPara, although I'm pretty sure they were a French café and they named one dish after Tricolore; but they had some posters of the characters, a large signed poster and an awkwardly-placed projector showing a trailer for the then-upcoming movie.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Some cafes do have staying power. ANN even reported an article of one that soldiered on for a good while.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-02/sakura-wars-taisho-romando-shop-and-sakura-cafe-closes

I was about to mention that one. Darn. XD

But yeah, bottom line is, these cafés are meant to promote something new for a short time before closing down. It's more like "Get a taste of this and go watch the show/play the game if you want more!" rather than "Keep patronizing our business!"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

That's like asking why General Mills didn't have those two promotional Batman v. Superman cereals on store shelves longer.
(And ftr, the chocolate-strawberry Batman cereal was tastier than the caramel Superman cereal, but it was close.)

First I'm hearing about this cereal.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Cool Smile Very Happy Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
I always saw these cafés and such as almost like a miniature convention, and I never expected them to last. I treated the official ones as promotions, especially if it's for something yet to be released, and the unofficial ones as a labor of love by fans.

In a way, American businesses do these sort of things sometimes too, like a few 7-Eleven stores becoming Kwik-E-Marts for The Simpsons Movie, complete with RC Cola sold there relabeledas Buzz Cola, Budweiser relabeled as Duff Beer, serving Homer's signature pink-frosted sprinkled donuts, etc; or various Westfield malls retheming themselves around Pokémon Black and White. Unofficial ones are very rare though, due to how active some of these lawyers are.

EricJ2 wrote:

I prefer the Superman cereal, but that's probably because semi-sweet chocolate has never been my thing. But I think they're best off mixed together. (A subtle message told through edible merchandise!)

BadNewsBlues wrote:
First I'm hearing about this cereal.

The next thing I know, you're going to tell me you've never heard of the Avengers: Age of Ultron cereal, or the Frozen cereal, or the Yu-Gi-Oh! cereal (which is, frankly, the most boring tie-in cereal I've ever seen), or the recent Star Wars cereals that come in Yoda and Kylo Ren.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
The Kancolle shop and cafe in Yokosuka, Japan is probably a summer one. It opened in July, and I have heard it was still open in August.

[img]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13902678_1220709971283234_16855753807353842_n.jpg?oh=07458be1746f8f8e195f37739abb8ad6&oe=58734551[/img]
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I believe the Pikachu Cafe holds the record for longest-lasting promotional cafe, no? I will visit it someday.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
or the recent Star Wars cereals that come in Yoda and Kylo Ren.

And Darth and BB-8 Laughing I know this because I have a closet-full that I'm hesitant to get rid of because they're supposedly collectible and limited-edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2