• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with Strong Female Leads/Co-Leads?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
Now that it's done, may I recommend Re:Zero alongside Konosuba? Both are great for female leads despite technically being harems. They're on opposite ends of seriousness and comedy's sliding scale though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Please provide links like Cam0 did.

Cam0--
Please confirm that I entered your information correctly in the anime and user indices.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Everything seems to be in order.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, has no one said Robin Sena from Witch Hunter Robin yet? The combination of her youth, professionalism, power, maturity, and independence is emphasized regularly throughout the show, and she often possesses a lot of knowledge and agency that the rest of the cast doesn't equal or know about, her pining after Amon and his man-pain and her idiosyncratic affection for housework notwithstanding.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
What an ovesight. I'll happily endorse 鏡's nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
^If I am seeing it correctly that is the kanji for kagami (mirror).
What does it mean in reference to Robin Sena?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
^If I am seeing it correctly that is the kanji for kagami (mirror).
What does it mean in reference to Robin Sena?

It is the previous poster's forum name.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Oops. I did not notice that. Embarassed
Thank you Alan45 and Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darthtabby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Princess Fine from this season’s Izetta: The Last Witch seems like she might make a fine addition to this list, but with only a single episode to go on it’s a little early to say for sure.

Mai Tokiha from My-HiME is an exceptionally human protagonist. In a series with a male lead she might have been little more than a mildly tsundere love interest, but as the main protagonist of My-HiME she’s at the center of a web of interpersonal relationships that allow her to be a far more fully realized character. She is very much a “people person.” Of particular note is her grudging friendship with far less sociable co-heroine Natsuki Kuga and her role as a surrogate parent figure for her younger roommate and her sickly little brother. Yet for all her kindness and resilience in the face of adversity, she’s far from perfect –she gets stressed, and depressed, and angry –much like a real person would.

Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier is awesome. She starts off as a superstar diva at the height of her career, with the confidence, charisma, and haughty attitude to match. A complex and multi-faceted character, she is a workaholic perfectionist when it comes to her music, but also has a playful side that loves to tease and takes an almost childish delight in new and unfamiliar experiences. Over the course of the series, she shows incredible determination and resilience in the face of adversity and proves herself capable of great compassion and generosity.

Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic is fiery and strong willed. She dealt with losing her mother and being bullied to the point of wanting to commit suicide in middle school, she can deal with some terrorists trying to kidnap her. Razz One warning: she is a rather violent tsundere, though to be fair her love interest is a socially inept teenage mercenary who has no about how to function in civilian society.

Yona from Yona of the Dawn starts the series as a spoilt and sheltered princess with few cares. That changes after the man she loves murders her father and seizes the throne, forcing her to flee. Outside the castle walls, she discovers that her father -while a kind man- was a weak king, and resolves to clean up the kingdom.

Might add some others at some point, but that should be good as a start.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
^ I will second Kaname Chidori.
I am surprised that she has not been mentioned yet. I am surprised that I did not mention her.
Her strengths are most evident in The Second Raid but she did show them in the previous seasons.

My-HiME has been mentioned before, by me. Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll also second Kaname from Full Metal Panic.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Posting for reference only.
The Portrayal of Women In Anime From 1991 (originally posted on YouTube on 6/23/2016)

Oh my dear goddesses -- I haven't yet updated the indices.....
EDIT: Why Shirayuki is One of Anime's Best Female Leads

Last edited by nobahn on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
And I'll second Princess Fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
  • I really need to get around to updating the main index..... Embarassed
  • Dunno how I overlooked this one..... Embarassed
Angela BalzacExpelled from Paradise
Angela Balzac is a security agent for the Deva government. She is dedicated and competent at her job. When she is assigned a mission to the Earth surface she makes a couple of mistakes early on, but she demonstrates her ability to learn from them. She also demonstrates a strong moral backbone. Anyone care to second this?
Modakawa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
Perhaps those animes of the magical girl (("魔法 少女" in Japanese), where the girls are saving the world (I really don't know what is the use of men inside).
Just joking, but the magical girl animes do have a long history and tradition in Japanese anime, typically like "Sailor Moon" and "Magical Girl Madoka Magica".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12