• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:
...(mostly due to the vol.27 scare)..

seems like it's always that one Volume. That price should fade or at the very least I'm going to ignore it for now. The first two omnibus editions are already up for pre-order and yeah I'm chompin' at the bit for them.
Blade of the Immortal Omnibus Volume 1
Blade of the Immortal Omnibus Volume 2
BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL OMNIBUS VOLUME 1 TPB

well i hope someone buys my extra copy on ebay before that happens, gotta try to get some money back to get caught up with air gear before they start to vanish again.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
@lem

Thanks, since it remains left to right there is no reason to double dip. Basically the same in omnibus format. Since, unlike Oh My Goddess!, this was already in the larger size the inability to further enlarge it doesn't matter. The next size larger than that would be comic book size and they haven't done a trade paperback in that size in years.

@RAmmsoldat

Dark Horse will not get as far as volume 27 for a couple of years. You should have that extra copy sold by then. By the way, don't feel bad in making a mistake and buying an extra copy. I've done it myself on several occasions.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@lem

Thanks, since it remains left to right there is no reason to double dip. Basically the same in omnibus format. Since, unlike Oh My Goddess!, this was already in the larger size the inability to further enlarge it doesn't matter. The next size larger than that would be comic book size and they haven't done a trade paperback in that size in years.

@RAmmsoldat

Dark Horse will not get as far as volume 27 for a couple of years. You should have that extra copy sold by then. By the way, don't feel bad in making a mistake and buying an extra copy. I've done it myself on several occasions.

I've done it before with claymore but it usually doesn't cost me so much.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
@Alan45
According to Dark Horse:

Availability: Pre-Order
ISBN: 978-1-50670-124-0
UPC: 978150670124051999
For ages: 16+
Details: b&w, 576 pages; TPB, 5 3/4'' x 8 1/4''

ANN reported and updated (from last year)
Quote:
Update: Simon confirmed with ANN that the omnibus will keep the left-to-right format of the original individual volumes. Simon also confirmed that the omnibus volumes will be the same size as the original volumes, "due to concerns that the artwork may moire if made bigger."

Translation: We didn't want to put in any effort or extra work and are using the same files we used for the original release 15+ years ago. Really their treatment of this series has pissed me off from the get-go with them copying/pasting the panels around to avoid making the manji look like a Nazi swastika. The fact that they still refuse to use the original format for the omibus just means at this point they're lazy and don't want to commit any extra money into the project.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to sell the extra copy. Plenty of people still collect it, myself included. I've just been really slow over the years an only have the first 10 vols or so, but eventually, one day, I'll get it. I just have a couple other series I need to finish off with random OOP volumes that will cost me a good 30 bucks a pop. Damn you Red River.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@littlegreenwolf

According to Dark Horse editors early on (possibly in the comic book version) the business of rearranging the panels instead of flipping the art work was required by the author. I don't think it had anything to do with the thing looking like a swastika. Frankly I'm fairly sure the general public doesn't understand the difference in symbols anyway.

This is the only title that they didn't switch to the original format when that became possible. I suspect that the business of rearranging panels is contractual. Likely renegotiating the contract would open them up to other possibly expensive changes. If it was simply reluctance to change, they wouldn't have gone back and redone Oh My Goddess! in right to left format.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Translation: We didn't want to put in any effort or extra work and are using the same files we used for the original release 15+ years ago. Really their treatment of this series has pissed me off from the get-go with them copying/pasting the panels around to avoid making the manji look like a Nazi swastika. The fact that they still refuse to use the original format for the omibus just means at this point they're lazy and don't want to commit any extra money into the project.

After reading up a little on the initial release I'm okay with what they did and are doing for it now. 31 volumes of flipping seems like a time consuming and costly thing to do. That's a lot of checking and QC one page at a time that they've done. If it was selling like gangbusters and on par with the level of fan support of other more popular franchises I'd be mad, but as it is I was already late to the party and procrastinating, so "new release" but "not really new" in the form of a little space saving omnibuses are plenty.

Alan45 wrote:

@RAmmsoldat

Which is one of the reasons I try to avoid sites that don't indicate what was previously purchased. I've manage to get an entire box of my carelessness and click happy mistakes since I started.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@lem

In my case it usually involves buying from more than one location. The most recent example was the novel version of My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I expected. I ordered it from the comic shop and a couple of weeks later Diamond cancelled the order. At that point I checked TRSI and pre-ordered it. A month or so later Diamond offered it again and forgetting the pre-order I again ordered it. The copy from TRSI showed up first.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
Just did a big order of volumes of air gear as the series has dropped to yearly releases from the looks of it which usually means its a poor seller and also means that volumes wont get reprints so if you're collecting air gear id recommend you get it sooner rather than later.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
I decided to cull a couple of series that i either wasnt going to get back to or have given up on so i listed Kare kano, MPD psycho, kurosagi corpse delivery service and suzuka on ebay. Got some old evangelion volumes on there too and attack on titan but they're easier to get hold of and then there's a random smattering of old tokyopop and adv volumes i had.

I think i may be a bit addicted to going after the oop stuff and stressing myself out so getting shut of a few series is better for my waning sanity.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Someone has a cheap almost complete Basara set up on eBay. It's missing vol 1-4, but I should note, those vol are not difficult to find used (it's 19-21 that'll really get you).
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
Tempting, but I bet the shipping to this side of the pond would about double the price
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
I've had a super lucky couple of weeks while checking out some different comic book stores. I've found Ai no Kusabi 7 and 8 sitting in a clearance bin that are selling for four figures on Amazon. They have multiple copies of 7, so if anyone needs one, let me know!

I found majority of Please Save My Earth, including 7 and 13, shrink wrapped in a bargain bin for $5 each. Can't help anyone find these, unfortunately, but the prices have fallen for volume 7, and 13 hit a low of $50 recently.

I also found Message to Adolf Omnibus 1, the old June editions of Finder 1-7 because they are being reprinted by SuBLime, and Sand Chronicles volume 10, at my local comic store.
They still have Message to Adolf and Sand Chronicles if anyone needs them!

And I found someone selling Basara 1-17, 22-27, on gumtree for $2 each. So I bit the bullet and got 18-21 online and the cost worked out to under $10 per volume for the whole series, so that worked out pretty well. The prices have fallen quite a bit for 19, 20, and 21.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that I found two copies of The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya in paperback if someone needs one, and the same store also had the hardcover version.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
BrokenByDefault wrote:
I also found Message to Adolf Omnibus 1, the old June editions of Finder 1-7 because they are being reprinted by SuBLime, and Sand Chronicles volume 10, at my local comic store.
They still have Message to Adolf and Sand Chronicles if anyone needs them!

Jesus, I didn't realize Message To Adolf was OOP and going for over $100 now. I had to take a break from all the Tezuka books around the time it came out, only catching up now. Nearly certain I saw it gathering dust somewhere in town, but if I don't find it I might take you up on that.

Not sure if anyone's collecting it but I have vol.2 of the old Viz Media printing of Adolf if anyone's looking for it. I also recently picked up an extra vol.1 of Cyborg 009 from local adverts for a few euro (got it with vol.10, still need 7-9). It's not in amazing condition but if anyone wants it cheap lemme know!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
DMP has finally put out the last Itazura na Kiss volume, #12!
http://www.akadot.com/itazura-na-kiss-vol-12-gn-p-44056.html?ref=new
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Went to my favourite second hand bookstore today and found an almost complete run of Please Save My Earth. The first 5 volumes were missing, but all the rest were there. A couple of ex-library books had crept in there, but they looked to be in surprisingly good nick nonetheless. The set cost me £51.50. I then got home and found a set of volumes 1-5 on eBay for $50 including shipping to the UK, which is about £40 with current exchange rates. Averages out to about £4.50/volume so I'm pretty happy.

Now hopefully next time I go back they'll still have the volumes 1-9 of Red River which were there today too. Couldn't justify both Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 72 of 76