• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nagasaki Anime Film on Atom Bomb to Show in New York

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
So when do we get Slaughterhouse 5 the anime, or an anime about the Rape of Nanking, or Bataan, or because weapons tested on Chinese civilians?* Edit: hey, rereading it does look like they at least did the Chinese POW camps.

I think the Japaneses need to grow up as a people and stop feeling as the victims of the war.

Regardless, this should be interesting how they cover it, do they do simply the bomb and the aftermath, or they go deeper into the situational issues, the geopolitics of the Cabinet and higher military? The implications of an invasion, not only in direct US, USSR, and Japanese deaths, but also in starvation during the winter of '45-46 which was already pretty bad, the previous year's famine in territories controlled by Japan killed over 2 million.
Rawler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So when do we get Slaughterhouse 5 the anime, or an anime about the Rape of Nanking, or Bataan, or because weapons tested on Chinese civilians?* Edit: hey, rereading it does look like they at least did the Chinese POW camps.

I think the Japaneses need to grow up as a people and stop feeling as the victims of the war.

Regardless, this should be interesting how they cover it, do they do simply the bomb and the aftermath, or they go deeper into the situational issues, the geopolitics of the Cabinet and higher military? The implications of an invasion, not only in direct US, USSR, and Japanese deaths, but also in starvation during the winter of '45-46 which was already pretty bad, the previous year's famine in territories controlled by Japan killed over 2 million.

I agree that it is interesting to see whether they will cover the deeper issues you mentioned or not. However -- i don't think that they view themselves as victims as much as you believe. The day the first bomb was dropped will be, and should be renowned in history as a reminder of destruction.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
While I do agree that, as a stand alone act, the atomic bombings should be memorilized as examples of war's destructiveness.

I am tired of the Japanese whining about it when they were its main beneficiaries. Had it not been for the atomic bombs millions of Japanese would have died. The ruling junta was planning to bring the whole country down with it (they were training elementary school kids to repel the invaders with wooden spears!!!!). Between the air-raids, the blockade, the famine (already starting in the Spring of '45), the American invasion in the south (Fall '45), and the Soviet invasion in the north (Spring '46), the Japanese dead could easily top 10 million a far cry from the 140K dead you can attribute to the atomic bombs.

Now the Japanese treatment of its war crimes, now that is a whole other kettle of rather stinky fish and proof that you can get away with mass murder as long as you don't kill white people (OK so the Japanese did kill a few of those, but not many by comparison).
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
And every Japanese person that killed white people as a War Crime hung. Only yellow on yellow war crimes got off scot free.

Although the Soviet invasion would be worse to the Korea and Chinese armies and peoples than to the home islands. The USSR fleet was less than the entire Swiss fleet even at the end of the war.
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:

I am tired of the Japanese whining about it when they were its main beneficiaries. Had it not been for the atomic bombs millions of Japanese would have died.

Yeah, the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki sure benefited big time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1