• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online Store (sales & rentals) Reviews/Feedbacks

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuchu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
{I have slightly edited the title in order to slightly expand the subject. ~nbahn}

I just received my first package from TRSI few days ago and I was pleased with it. Very much so. The only disappointment I have is that my paper thin Makoto Shinkai DVD Collections is a little bruised here and there. Nothing major that I need to kill myself over or sue TRSI for replacement. But if you are a hardcore otaku, I'm sure you know the feeling. I've sent a couple emails and a call to TRSI and I'm well pleased with their CS - customer service. I already have a good feeling about them.

Now I am asking you hardcore otaku out there in the corner of your dark room where the only light comes from your TV or pasocon to share me your reviews, negative or positive feedbacks about anime online store available. From this thread, I already learn that Deep Discount (DD) is a big no no. Also, from the thread I read that Overstock needs to be avoided. But what about these:
Anime Nation (AN)
    Trusty Online Store
    Responsive Customer Service
    Free Domestic Shipping Offered
    Prompt Shipping
    Packaging - Very Good
    (source: myself)

Robert's Anime Corner Store (RACS)
    Trusty Online Store
    Prompt Shipping
    Packaging - Very Good
    (source: various frequent buyers)

Anime Depot (AD)

DVD Empire

Anime Castle
    Beware of bootleg products esp. on CD section
    (source: Keonyn, ingram_pilot)

Bargain Anime
    Beware of non responsive service
    (source: ikillchicken, CaRDz )

DVD Pacific

Things From Another World (TFAW)
    Trusty Online Store
    Prompt Shipping
    Packaging - Well Packaged
    (source: Keonyn)

Just Manga
    Trusty Online Store
    Prompt Shipping
    Packaging - (large envolopes with bubble wrap)
    (source: Orange_Popsicle)

Right Stuff International (TRSI)
    Trusty Online Store
    Prompt Shipping
    Packaging - Excellent

Deep Discount DVD (DD/DDD)
    Trusty Online Store
    Prompt Shipping
    Packaging - Good

Anime Wild
    Trusty Online Store
    Good Customer Service
    Prompt Shipping
    (source: KENSHIN912, joel_s95387)

I need to thank Mylene for recommending me Anime Depot which I would gladly try if not for their amateur website which really turns me off, not to mention lack of information as well. No offense Mylene, this is just my opinion.

I also want to thank violented16 for the review pm about RACS.

Would really appreciate if you guys can give me some ideas about CS, Shipping, Deals, Payment for the websites mentioned above. You are also welcomed to introduce new online store along with some reviews and/or feedbacks provided, other than Deep Discount(DD) AND Overstock.

Edit: Deep Discount has been added since my personal experience has been okay with them.

Last edited by kuchu on Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 18 times in total
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I do all my shopping at Robert's Anime Corner and have for the past 3 years almost exclusively (save for the random TRSI sales). Their prices have always been great for me and I get everything 1-2 days later using standard USPS Priority shipping.

Everything gets packaged nice and comfy so no rattling or bumping around of those precious art boxes and box sets.

Customer service has never been a problem. It's always prompt and helpful. I've only had to deal with customer service mostly for handling stuff like changing something in an order. Typical response time is usually 20 minutes to a few hours depending on when you email them. And they've always been friendly.

I've had only one busted disc is the past three years which was the result of a disc having slipped off the spindle. An email sent, a reply 20 minutes later, and a replacement disc + return envelope and disc holder was mailed out to me the next day. I didn't have to fuss with sending the entire set back or anything, just the lone busted disc.

So, given the excellent service, selection, and prices they've provided me with, I haven't had much reason to do much shopping anywhere else. I don't think you could go wrong with them.
violented16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
As kuchu mentioned him I pm'ed him what I thought of Roberts Anime Corner Store. I will post it here as a 2nd review of the site.

I have personally ordered from RACS for roughly the last year on the word of a real life friend. I have always been satisfied with their shipping times and prices. Now the shipping times will be far greater for me then anyone in the USA or Southern Canada. I'm from northern Canada (like 15 hours north of the Canada/US border) so it takes roughly 1.5 weeks to get in an order, mostly due to customs.

I only had 1 small damage issue. It wasn't from their end but the shippers themselves. And then it was just 2 cracked FMA dvd case's so I just went and grabbed 2 new clear cases and replaced the cracked one's, which wasn't really an issue. (dvd's weren't scratched and worked fine) Thats the only damaged thing I have ever got and it didn't even warrant an email to them.

Their packaging is good in my opinion. You always get a box larger then the order and the free space is filled with foam packing pellets. I have only ordered DVD's and Manga so I don't know how it would be for wall scroll or figurines.

I have only dealt with there Customer Service once (sorry kucku I forgot about this). I placed an order and was in a hurry to go to work so didn't wait around to get a confirmation email about my order. When I got home I didn't have one, I emailed their CS asking if they got my order and told them what I ordered and the like. Within 15 minutes They emailed me back with the confirmation of my order and a nice apology letter about messing up the email.

I would recommend the site to anyone that is looking to buy online. The prices are always great, good shipping, good packing and not to mention the site is super easy to navigate and great looking.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know how it would be for wall scroll or figurines.

I've ordered quite a few figurines and they put a ton of care into getting those to you. Huge boxes with tons of pellets and no rattling around much like their treatment of multiple DVD orders.

Not trying to have a parade here for them or anything xD Just helping out. Sorry if it's a bit much.
kuchu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you for contributing guys. I have more confident in trying RACS now that we have 3 points up for them. Anybody wants to comment on DVD Empire? Their price is the cheapest of TSRI, RACS or Anime Nation (the DVDs that I checked anyway). IMAGINE THAT!!! A bit wary though. I checked on good-ol'-Google for any complaints regarding DE and they seem to be minimal. Any input?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
As a note for DeepDiscount.com- I wouldn't put off ordering from them entirely, especially since they have some of the cheapest prices around. I usually place an order each time they have a 20% off sale, and have yet to have an issue with anything- and one of those orders did include an artbox (Elemental Gelade, back when it released- so it's been awhile.)

The most important thing, I guess, is to be cautious about ordering anything that's easily damaged, and be aware of the shipping times. Their Free Shipping uses media mail, AKA the postal service's punching bag. When it's going slow, things can take 3-4 weeks to arrive... which, or course, wreaks havoc on speedy customer service. Not saying it's entirely the mailing service's fault or anything, but it is a part of things.

If you order the right items and avoid dealing with their CS, it's a pretty good deal.
archaron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
DVD Pacific is good for smaller orders. There prices are good, but for larger orders they tend to put too much in too small a box. I have had only minor problems with them and never anything major enough for a return. They are fast on there shipping too.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been buying things from AnimeNation since I was a young teen so I trust them very much. They're a little slower than Amazon (but honestly, who can beat them at shipping speed?), but they're great dealing with.

I've never shopped at Roberts Anime Corner Store, but others are saying good things about it.

I think I've bought something from TRSI once, a long time ago, from their paper catalog. To be honest, I really hate navigating through TRSI's website. It needs a facelift badly, especially where finding products are concerned. I would do online shopping with them if I had an easier time on their website.

For the most part, I deal almost exclusively with Amazon.com and AnimeNation.
violented16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kuchu could u add Bargain Anime to your list for wanted reviews?

I stumbled across this site a while back and never looked @ the bookmark again until I was looking for some older Art Boxes and they seem to have them, was wondering how there shipping / CS is.
kuchu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Added Bargain Anime (violented16) and DVD Pacific(archaron). I've checked both sites and Bargain Anime has more collections than DVD Pacific because, well, they are anime oriented webstie. D'oh me. DVD Pacific has some good deals on their box sets but I don't think their individual anime DVD is that hot. I'm really interested in hearing more about Bargain Anime and DVD Empire(nobody has any input for this site?). They seem to have good prices.

@Terrestrial_Cel: If you hate TSRI site, try navigating through Anime Depot site before you return to TSRI. I promise you will feel much better at TSRI. Nevertheless, I do agree TSRI can benefit more from site improvements. Their site is definitely not the easiest to navigate but they make it up on their CS, deals, and shipping. So, I'm not really complaining.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
[Entry deleted by user.]

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Terrestrial_Cel wrote:
I've been buying things from AnimeNation since I was a young teen so I trust them very much. They're a little slower than Amazon (but honestly, who can beat them at shipping speed?), but they're great dealing with.

I just wish they wouldn't so frequently list stuff they don't actually have. At least 3/4 of the orders I've placed with AnimeNation have been canceled. For that reason, they're at best a last resort for me, as I get tired of waiting for months on end for a product, only to find it's been canceled. Especially when said item was not listed as out of stock at the time of purchase.

Anime Depot may have an ugly site, but at least they've got good customer service and are very quick to inform the consumer if they're not going to be able to get the item. I'll take an amateur website with good service over a glitzy one with poor service any day. That said, AD is still a last resort sort of shop, because there are better prices elsewhere.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, everyone knows how I view Deep Discount from the linked thread so I'll go ahead and skip that one.

I did touch on DVD Pacific there as well but I'll give that one a shout out just in case. Their prices are usually comparable to the low prices that Deep Discount offers except they do still charge shipping. These costs are usually less than $1 for a DVD, but with boxsets they can get a bit higher. DVD Pacific also ships in pretty good packaging so I feel they're a lot safer to order from than DDD, however the downside is that they're pretty slow to ship and it can take a good week or more to get your order.

Then there's Amazon with their decent and free shipping and the fact you'll generally have your order within a week. The downside to Amazon is their pricing, which is often significantly higher than the likes of DVD Pacific although they tend to toss out a lot of sales and discounts here and there so sometimes checking the site repeatedly can yield a good deal. The marketplace where people sell used items though is best avoided as what you get is often a bootleg and not to actual item advertised.

Barnes and Noble is also an expensive one but I find their shipping to be more reliable and secure than even Amazon. Often times you have to be a member though just to get a price comparable to the competitors. Since I buy so many books I am a member so that works out fine for me, but for others it's a deal breaker. B&N does sometimes have web only deals on things like boxsets that are always worth looking for, while it's not anime I got my Planet Earth DVD's from B&N cheaper than anyone else had them for, including DDD.

I'm only slightly familiar with Anime Castle as I've only ordered wall scrolls from them and never a DVD or manga. They were timely with their shipment but I've heard they do tend to have bootleg merchandise here and there so that's certainly something to watch for.

TRSI is one of the shining stars in the shipping department and customer service, I pretty much never worry about how my product will arrive from them. They do however tend to be a bit on the pricey side when compared to DVD Pacific, at times I've found DVD's they offer for far less at even local retailers. Since saving money is often my main concern when ordering online this tends to be a deal breaker for me. When the prices are comparable however I would order from TRSI in a heartbeat.

One I don't see mentioned much but that is worth mentioning I think is TFAW. Their stock of anime sometimes leaves a bit to be desired but they offer some nice deals now and then. I picked up my Haibane Renmei boxset from them last year for significantly less than the competitors had it for. Their single DVD prices however tend to be normal or even a bit high. They primarily specialize in US comics and related collectibles so if you're looking to order something of that like with your anime it's possible you can get both from the same place here. Their shipping is quite good and they package their products well, likely since some of their merchandise requires some TLC.

As for Anime Depot, Anime Nation, Roberts Anime Store and others I may not have mentioned; that's primarily because I've never ordered from any of those. If I ever do I'll edit in my experiences with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
TRSI is one of the shining stars in the shipping department and customer service, I pretty much never worry about how my product will arrive from them.... When the prices are comparable however I would order from TRSI in a heartbeat.

Agreed. I buy probably 90% of my anime from Right Stuf, and have for a few years now. My only source of frustration with them is that they refuse to allow you to ship to an address other than your billing address without jumping through a billion hoops, meaning all of my orders are shipped to my mom's house. If they fixed that HUGE annoyance, they'd be the best retailer in the universe, as far as I'm concerned.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I frequently order from Right Stuff, and never have things sent to my billing address. Instead I send it all to my work address and never noticed any trouble or been subjected to hoop jumping. I think once they called me and asked if it was the correct address, I said yes and they went ahead and shipped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 29