• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drifters (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Oh boy, that OP song. Catchy with style, might be my favorite one this season besides Yuri on Ice.

Pretty entertaining episode. I have to admit, Nobunaga isn't just scary and intimidating but can really bring a lot of fear to his adversaries.

Glad to see they kept the violence uncensored to get the full impact
Shimazu is such a badass the way he swings his sword. Also loved the instrumental music they used this episode. I'm also glad they showed Easy (like the OVA) as I find her to be an entertaining character already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
This made-up language thing kind of kills several scenes because the voice-actors keep struggling to pronounce stuff and forget to actually put any emotion in the lines, so it all sounds like someone reading off a script, instead of acting.

I didn't like Hellsing's sense of humor nor its 'plot' either, so I'm not surprised that I don't like this either. Will probably give it one more episode before dropping it, and might rewatch the OP here and there, 'because it's kind of cool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Damn this episode was intense. Kinda amusing how they got fighter aircraft in this alternate world setting. Adding dragons and all the other shenanigans gave me some GATE vibes.

Glad to see they gave Abe no screen time as he led a pretty entertaining battle. The music is dope and the violence is pretty evident. Such a badass entry:

Also, that segment after the ED song is pretty funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The scale of the task facing the Drifters is made crystal clear after this episode, especially as the playing field isn't at all equal.

Note the famous personages serving the Black King as Ends. They're warriors in their own right (maybe not Anastasia but her powers are formidable enough) coupled with supernatural abilities which Toyohisa and co. completely lack. The Zero pilot has his plane but it needs fuel and bullets to be effective plus he has no clue whatsoever on where he is and what he should be doing.

The fictional language is still out in force for this episode. Bar a few stray words and phrases it's still completely unintelligible. Really hoping to see it replaced over the next few weeks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Note the famous personages serving the Black King as Ends. They're warriors in their own right (maybe not Anastasia but her powers are formidable enough) coupled with supernatural abilities which Toyohisa and co. completely lack.

I don't know all of them quite yet, but the two I have remembered were Joan of Arc and Anastasia, their similarities are not as warriors but as martyrs, and the supernatural side of their abilities tell me that they may get powers connected to their execution or whatever. If it is martyrs I think that I in fact I think I know who the Black King is, and the clue was right towards the end of the episode giving credence to the theory. If you looked at the palm of the King you could spoiler[see that he appeared to have scars on them in the centre], hold on to your butts, I theorise that the Black King is spoiler[Jesus]. Based on the staff I thought that he might be ancient Egyptian, but no figures were really sticking out, so until another theory is put out I am saying that Hirano made spoiler[Jesus] evil.

So far I also wonder if being able to wield supernatural powers connected to themselves could be given to the other Drifters. It would help the cowboys (one who I think is Billy the Kid) and the pilot, who have limited resources for their abilities.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
The Black King failed to state Hijikata Toshizou's name in full, but that's to be expected since the primary audience knows full well who the Shinsengumi's second in command is. The banners and the ghost warriors at his command are typical representations of the Bakumatsu era and its famous battles like Toba-Fushimi, Hakudate and others.

Which makes the "warriors vs. martyrs" theory for Drifters vs. Ends fall rather flat on the face since Hijikata's demise is very similar to Toyohisa's. Yet they have ended up on opposing sides. So one more factor to consider on what the dividing line is between a drifter and an end.

As for the identity of the Black King, spoiler[no one really knows since he hasn't been officially unveiled in the source material. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence pointing to the Christian Messiah, but only Kouta Hirano knows and he's not said anything on the point. The king's powers when they are eventually shown should give neutral viewers a better clue though. ]

One final point: Murasaki is responsible for the drifters while EASY is opposing him with the ends. Murasaki made it clear his goal is to correct the distortions introduced by the ends so why would he grant those selected by him supernatural abilities?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I used the link that Harleyquin provided on the previous page to find out who the two dudes from the Old West are and I'm disappointed I didn't figure it out on my own. Just in case you do want to figure it yourself, I'll put their names in a spoiler tag: spoiler[Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid]

Cool eppie. Can't really go wrong with pitting a Zero against dragons, can you? I question Anastasia's presence in the mix since I believe she is the only one plucked from Earth who is not some kind of warrior/fighter. Again, using Harleyquin's link, I discovered that the Ends will have spoiler[other famous figures from Russia.]

Anyway, this is a good show for sating my need for visual blood-lust.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if our poor fighter pilot is going to get a dragon or something. I mean, what's he going to do once he runs out of fuel and bullets? Really, the two American outlaws have a questionable future, too. Then again, there's magicians involved so maybe we're going to get supernatural resupplies.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I wonder if our poor fighter pilot is going to get a dragon or something. I mean, what's he going to do once he runs out of fuel and bullets? Really, the two American outlaws have a questionable future, too. Then again, there's magicians involved so maybe we're going to get supernatural resupplies.

Keep watching to find out.

Note that the Octobrist magicians aren't able to magically summon equipment and weapons at will since if they could they would be doing it non-stop before the Black King's great invasion.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Ah this episode was entertaining. There's a lot more comedy than I had expected but overall was fun to watch. Considering it's a buildup and more info dump about the End and Drifters, I do expect some epic fights to come soon.

Shimazu makes somewhat of an interesting leader especially with the way he tried to get elves to fight for their land.

Also, Nobunaga is so funny. Easily my favorite character in the series at the moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank God we don't have to deal with Made Up Language, any more. I feel bad for Boobie Glasses. She's definitely getting the shitty end of the Drifter stick. I think Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are probably easier to deal with than Oda "Handsie" Nobunaga. The Black King is pretty solicitous of his demi-human troops, too. More proof that he might be Hay-zeus, after all.

Not sure why the humans are bothering with an elf rebellion when a true shitstorm is (presumably) about to break over their heads.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Rasputin is unusual for an End, no special powers but is valued for his administrative abilities. It seems the Black King tolerates him also for his close association to a proper End in Anastasia.

Not many messiah figures with scar wounds in the middle of their palms, but his true identity isn't nearly as interesting as to how the Drifters intend to overthrow the Orte kingdom as a first step towards resisting the inexorable monster tide.

One thing they didn't bother to adapt spoiler[was Nobunaga's complete mastery of the Elven language. They kept the bit showing Yoichi's disappointment upon hearing about the talismans, but I would have liked to hear Nobunaga showing off his language skills. ]

Next week is when the fun starts. 200 heavily armed Orte soldiers vs. a village of elven civilians and three samurai drifters.

Not sure why the simulcast people decided to remove the original trailers and replace them with something generic. Probably too worried that the audience wouldn't have a clue what was going on since the cultural context is so important.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

That was badass. I still have some mixed feelings about the comedy but seeing Shimazu, Oda, and Yoichi in action really made the episode worthwhile.

Plus, it was a good time for the elf race to fight back and save what they believe in. Felt really bad for the elf women though. They were abused and mistreated so I can understand Shimazu's anger. The uncensored violence made the episode work quite well too. Can't wait for the next episode!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku Jidai tactics work perfectly well in this new world, even if it's a backs to the wall win at all costs scenario that Nobunaga chose to implement.

I don't know how good the real Nasu no Yoichi was with a bow outside of the legends given in the Heike Monogatari, but if the real one could emulate what this Yoichi can do at target practice then he definitely deserved his reputation.

2 years for a saltpetre mound?! He might not get 2 months let alone 2 years what with the Black King's advance. Oh well, better to prepare now and reap the fruits of the endeavour later.

Initial objective attained. One castle, its stores, its armoury and the elven females recaptured. Now the samurai have a castle to use as a base to move forward to claim the rest of the country. Needless to say, all of the rapists in the castle are going to lose their heads.

The elves in the village will probably follow the samurai to hell and beyond after the favour they did for them in this episode, it remains to be seen if relations between other demi-humans and the outsider drifters will be just as smooth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I was stoked to finally see some cute elven chicks, but then... yeah, not so much. Well, I guess it was a bit much to assume that their captivity wouldn't be hellish. Kinda makes you root for the Black King to fulfill his mission and wipe out all humans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5