• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Will Not Be Compatible With Wii U Discs, 3DS Cards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Do people here throw away their consoles or something? I still have my original NES from back in the day. Backwards compatibility is convenient but not really necessary IMO.

Thats what I thought too. Backwards compatibility is a luxury. Not being a backward compatible with older console games, is a deal breaker for alot of people ? Why is this?
Are you buying the new consoles for new games or older games? They are not making these new consoles to sell old games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:

Thats what I thought too. Backwards compatibility is a luxury. Not being a backward compatible with older console games, is a deal breaker for alot of people ? Why is this?
Are you buying the new consoles for new games or older games? They are not making these new consoles to sell old games.

Part of it is driven either by the fear that their older consoles are going to stop playing their older games or from the obligatory "I have no space for all these systems but it would be awfully convenient if I could play my old games on newer tech.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm just baffled that people will give up new tech/console that offers new games and innovations, so they can have old games that they are available RIGHT NOW.
Do you want this Nintendo Switch to do your house chores too? Why not???
How can this be? I want my next gen nintendo console to be portable & home console,Backward compatible to all the old consoles from Nes to wiiU, and walk
my damn cats and dogs too.
There are limitations to a console, you have to look at it from technical and realistic point of view. If they cram 3ds/wii-wiiU tech into this, it will cost twice as much to make and price I'm sure.
This thing is a portable home console. You can play legit breath of the wild on the go. Not a handheld port of the game, but tripleA console game on the go. This new innovations out weighs this backwards compatibility luxury for me.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo Switch games will be on game cards as opposed to optical discs.

Clearly this is the real reason for the non-compatibility. Optical drives take up a lot of space, and electricity. They'd either have to cram it into the handheld part, making it bulkier; or they'd have to put it in the dock, which would be tricky and obviously wouldn't work in handheld mode. It's unfortunate, but kind of inevitable; using optical disks for video games seems a little silly these days.

3DS compatibility would have been doable, maybe, but was anyone really expecting that? It only has one screen.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of the bitterness I felt when the Dsi came out and I found out Gameboy games weren't compatible with it. Looks like I'll be getting 3DS games for my birthday next year. Oh well, wake me up when Namco and Nintendo get together to release a Katamari game for the Nintendo Switch and maybe I'll become half as interested as I was before finding out this. Razz
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Are people actually disappointed/surprised about this? Out of all of Nintendo's home consoles, only the Wii and Wii U have been backwards compatible. This has never been a standard. And the fact that its cartridge based should have made it obvious that this wouldn't play Wii U discs. 3DS games would make more sense, but... why? It's not even a duel-screen system as far as we can tell. I don't know why a new console not playing old games is considered a deal breaker for so many people, but it's news to me. I'm excited for the Switch for the new games, not stuff I've already played. Besides, the Wii U didn't sell enough to warrant it anyway. That's likely why they seem to be hinting at releasing updated versions of some of the best Wii U titles for the new system.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Are people actually disappointed/surprised about this? Out of all of Nintendo's home consoles, only the Wii and Wii U have been backwards compatible. This has never been a standard. And the fact that its cartridge based should have made it obvious that this wouldn't play Wii U discs.

It's a fact now but up until yesterday no one knew all of what it what it would and wouldn't do.The fact that Nintendo was needlessly secretive about the console certainly didn't help stem the tide of speculation....which is why you have people of the belief they're going to cannibalize their handheld line to consolidate it on the Swtich.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Eh, this isn't a deal breaker for me yet. My husband and I already planned on buying a Wii U and this just tells me that's still a good idea. :p
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still very interested in the Switch atleast until I know what kind of games you can play on it especially if it's the same kind of games you can play on the PS4 and Xbox one. Smile
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Nobody complained about the original Wii not being backwards compatible with the Gamecube

Because the Wii was backwards compatible with the Game Cube, duh.

Nevermind the disc based Wii U, but I'm disappointed 3DS won't work. I hoped to get a region unlocked 3DS out of the NX. (Or at least just the JP-Version of the NX, so I could get all those Japanese 3DS games I was missing out on, because their US-versions where shit. Like Etrian Odyssey Untold.)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
I am willing to roll with the punches, i am getting the NS anyway, but their region locking needs to stop. That is my one and only wish.
@Mr. Oshawott They promised me a lot over the years. We will see. The EU release politics on especially the 3DS remind me of the 90s. I hate it sooo much if companies don´t want my money.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I am willing to roll with the punches, i am getting the NS anyway, but their region locking needs to stop. That is my one and only wish.

Well...Nintendo has announced a year earlier that they have been planning to make the Nintendo Switch region-free (while it was known as the NX at the time), so there is hope for that.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Wait? What? People were expecting Switch is 3DS backward compatible? How's that supposed to work since 3DS is dual screen when Switch is single screen? Wii-U is possible because there are digital download version but 3DS will not work on both physical and digital release because the game itself designed to work on dual screen.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Wait? What? People were expecting Switch is 3DS backward compatible? How's that supposed to work since 3DS is dual screen when Switch is single screen? Wii-U is possible because there are digital download version but 3DS will not work on both physical and digital release because the game itself designed to work on dual screen.

TV and tablet equals two screens just saying.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

TV and tablet equals two screens just saying.

It will be a very big different between two screen that gameplay is not really 3DS feels anymore and how that suppose to work during "portable" mode?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4